TF2 pet peeves.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
GothmogII said:
Cuniculus said:
The spies that sit across the way in 2Fort and try to snipe head shots with the upgraded pistol (the name escapes me right now). Play your class the way it was meant to be played you idiot.
Hah! Don't moan about people using the Ambassador for what it's designed for! Seriously, all you need is a steady hand and the thing is deadly. Line up a headshot, fire, stop, wait a second, fire again, most class are now dead. This is especially useful against unawares engineers who usually tend to stupidly sit in the one spot crouched when constructing their buildings. So, tap him twice in the head with your piece then finish off his buildings.
It's not made for sniping, it's made for close up head shots. Just because that's what you use it for doesn't mean that's what it should be used for. I think my point is made more accurately by all the updates valve keeps making to it so that people can't do it as effectively. Even they realize it's being misused.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Cuniculus said:
GothmogII said:
Cuniculus said:
The spies that sit across the way in 2Fort and try to snipe head shots with the upgraded pistol (the name escapes me right now). Play your class the way it was meant to be played you idiot.
Hah! Don't moan about people using the Ambassador for what it's designed for! Seriously, all you need is a steady hand and the thing is deadly. Line up a headshot, fire, stop, wait a second, fire again, most class are now dead. This is especially useful against unawares engineers who usually tend to stupidly sit in the one spot crouched when constructing their buildings. So, tap him twice in the head with your piece then finish off his buildings.
It's not made for sniping, it's made for close up head shots. Just because that's what you use it for doesn't mean that's what it should be used for. I think my point is made more accurately by all the updates valve keeps making to it so that people can't do it as effectively. Even they realize it's being misused.
No, the original revolver wasn't made for Sniping, but, people found that at medium/long ranges it was actually good for taking out people/sentries without being seen. The Ambassador is an extension on that idea in that it possess greater accuracy over long ranges with no damage fallof which the revolver has: Hence a sniping tool. It isn't all that useful over the revolver in close quarters unless your opponent is unawares, and, if they are and you're that close you'd usually be using the knife anyway, unless it's a sniper with a Razorback on.

Also, just because people find a use for something that wasn't intended in a game doesn't make that a bad thing, for one thing, if it weren't for that kind of creativity we wouldn't have Rocket Jumping of all things.

Sep 24, 2008
Nutcase said:
The way the designer crammed the game full of bad melee. That's the single worst element in the game, and since it's integral, it can't even be disabled like random crits can. I'd rate the game about 6/10 as is - just fixing the melee would take it straight to 7 if not 8.
I hate crits, because I seem to be a crit magnet. However, without the crits no one would play as a medic or even a scout. You need that little luck with the weaker weapons (yes, I know, the scattershot up close is a monster, but good luck doing that with a soldier or a heavy)

Ooh, and I hate how you can be two body lengths from someone and they managed to hit you anyway with a crit melee.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
GothmogII said:
Cuniculus said:
GothmogII said:
Cuniculus said:
No, the original revolver wasn't made for Sniping, but, people found that at medium/long ranges it was actually good for taking out people/sentries without being seen. The Ambassador is an extension on that idea in that it possess greater accuracy over long ranges with no damage fallof which the revolver has: Hence a sniping tool. It isn't all that useful over the revolver in close quarters unless your opponent is unawares, and, if they are and you're that close you'd usually be using the knife anyway, unless it's a sniper with a Razorback on.

Also, just because people find a use for something that wasn't intended in a game doesn't make that a bad thing, for one thing, if it weren't for that kind of creativity we wouldn't have Rocket Jumping of all things.
Wow, you couldn't have proven my point any better.

One, that people found out that it was good for long ranges. It wasn't designed that way, people started using it that way. Again, this point is proven by valve constantly doing updates to fix the spies sniping other characters.

Two, you say it isn't good for close range unless the person is unawares? Wow, kind of sounds like something a SPY should have no trouble achieving.

Three, the only reason to use it at close range is for using it against snipers with a razorback on? Wow, this also sounds oddly familiar, considering it came out in the SNIPER VS SPY update.

As for people using innovative ways of playing, that are clever and helpful to the team, sure... maybe one out of three thousand exploits are actually used by Valve in a later update... this isn't one of those. It isn't innovative, and it isn't helpful to the team. Spies sit across the map on 2Fort and snipe people. Kind of sounds like what a SNIPER should be used for.

plagueflames

Dec 23, 2008
Bible Doctor said:
Anarchemitis said:
we on steam knows you...
It would be there tomorrow (but this is all fake)

on topic, people who think "oh, im a little low on health. i think ill grab that medipack instead of letting that poor, 15 hp left burning medic, who couldnt possibly just help me after, have it instead"

the 8 year old thing has already been said

scouts who call for a medic yet jump insessintly around you assuming the medigun has auto-target. I CANT EFFIN HEAL YOU IF I CANT TARGET YOU, EH HOLE

people who are so good that its almost cheating playing on the run-of-the-mill servers and owning everyone. understand that you want to showoff, but could you tone down the skill to make the game fair?

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
InFeSt121 said:
ta2ce said:
People that think the Huntsman is good at long range. (Get a clue people!)
People that think the Huntsman is better than the Sniper Rifle..
People that think that the Sniper rifle is harder to get headshots with than The Huntsman, and please don't be like some of the people I've argued with online about this, I usually win...

And I also recall cussing A LOT in arena matches when a horde of pyroes pops up in front of my face when I play Scout while on skype with my friends.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Bible Doctor said:
we on steam knows you...
It's no secret. My steam name is Anarchemitis.

But the guy in this one is from a f'real awesome Machinima group [http://litfusefilms.com/].

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
What annoys me the most are really good scouts. I know it took lots of practice to move faster then my mouse, but it still annoys me. This is even more annoying when I try to fight a FAN scout and he keeps bumping me, making it impossible to fight. Other then that ridiculously petty thing, only griefs annoy me. Yes, your real god at the game, cap the intel and end it already.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
When people go "You play on the 360?"
I dislike the Valve community. Too many people that gloat about how PCs are potentially more powerful than consoles, and how TF2 is significantly better on Steam.

Seriously though, Sentries. What's a poor scout to do?

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
As a medic, when my teammate goes on a suicide rush into the enemy base when I have 80-90% charge instead of waiting for the uber. This results in either:

A. I let him go to die and he complains "WTF WHERE WERE U MEDIC?????"
or
B. I follow him in, only to die with 95% ubercharge.

Also, servers that try to garner in players with "ghost" players who make the server appear full, when its really totally empty.

bipeo

Mar 25, 2009
Raregolddragon said:
Got a few but the main one is the fact that spys can back stab while clocked and have to wait till you fully de-clocked to attack.

Why can't work like when you masked, I stab them the clock drops that second and if I am masked at the time that drops to.

It takes to long to de-cloked!
first of all I'm awestruck at your spelling errors. second of all, it would make the game WAY too unbalanced if spies could just stab you without giving you the slightest chance of even knowing they are there, also if the decloak time is trouble for you, you aren't a very good spy.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Mcrapeyou said:
Snipped for the sake of brevity
But yeah, I agree with many of these points, though it's always confounded me why heavies aren't one of the classes that get a lot of people playing it.

On two points I disagree with: a game with three engies (no more, you're pushing it enough as is) who can place buildings in strategically-valuable places. It's better on CTF maps like 2Fort because you have multiple tiers of engineer defense to penetrate before you even think of touching that intel. Also, multiple pyros can be insanely useful, as a quick offense class, they're good for leading hit-and-runs against fortified areas, especially with a medic. A medic/pyro team moves faster than the traditional heavy/medic setup, this can at times be better than a heavy for taking down sentries with an ubercharge.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Spaz91 said:
scout when they're defending. Are they that insecure.
I destroy on defense as a Scout. Flank them, take out one or two, run my happy ass away, wash, rinse, repeat. The Scout is an incredibly versatile unit; don't underestimate him.

Also, crit ANYTHINGS.

ObsidianJones said:
This was the first time since I played the game that I loaded up 2Fort and had only 3 people join in the length of the game. People are disgusted with the changes, and I think rightly so.
Did you ever think that maybe you joined a low-pop server? Which isn't that surprising, considering 2Fort is the worst map in the game.

blankgabriel

Jul 10, 2009
Well, my biggest pet peeve is when Im scrolling through my favorite server list, at around 3 or 4 in the morning. And a server shows up as being mostly full, but when I enter its empty and nobody is in spec. RAGE!!

Jindrak

Jan 11, 2008
People who generalize all maturity problems to a certain age range. I am an administrator on the eGO servers and the immaturity starts around age seven and ends about three months after death. I've had the pleasure of banning people from every age range for every conceivable reason and no pattern emerges based on "age." Those who are immature at 14 are going to be immature at 30, it generally doesn't change.

But so far as actual pet peeves:
1. People who put teleporter exits facing walls.
2. Pyros who do not use compression blast to extinguish players/repel ubers/reflect rockets. It is quite possibly the most useful all around weapon.
3. People who actually believe one class is better or worse than the others. It's all about strategy and how it is used.
4. People who complain about the huntsman. I love it and am amazing with it. Great tool for taking out engineers.
5. People who ruin play games (i.e. We are all doing all-taunt or all-melee, they come in with the sniper rifle and light everyone up. Fun spoiler. :()
6. People who cue their microphone but don't say anything (especially when playing without a headset so we just hear feedback).
7. People who argue with administrators about why rules exist despite the fact they checked a big "I agree" to the rules when they joined.