TF2 Sniper: British or Australian.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
He's australian, but as Valve themselves have admitted, the voice is done by a british person putting on a pretty bad Australian accent. I've never heard anyone around here talk like the Sniper does.

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
He does say "God save the Queen!" so he might have some trace of English is himself. My best guess is that his nationality is similar to Yahtzee's: he's English born, but now lives in Australia.

Arthur Cammarono

Feb 18, 2010
People who are saying he is far too stereotyped to be Australian, have you ever played TF2? Seriously, all of the characters are caricatures of a regionality save the pyro and, arguably, the soldier.

rreetteepp

May 2, 2011
Biodeamon said:
definitly australian.

australians say mate, not british people. british people say chap.
Actuly British people say mate aswell... This vid proves it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOsSXs3FP9k&feature=channel_video_title
British people and they say mate like 10 times in this video

rreetteepp

May 2, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
Maybe this is an American thing where you can't tell Australian and British accents apart but...

He is Australian! He couldn't be any more Australian unless he had a koala clinging to his back to carry extra ammo for him.
I think you may have just guessed the next special item for the sniper

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
What are the arguments for British? I've always thought it was quite clear he was Australian.

EDIT: especially since this is the bio from valve's team fortress page...

Country of Origin: Australia
Role: Support

In his former life as a tracker of dangerous game in the unforgiving Australian outback, the Sniper would spend months by himself. Prolonged isolation taught him a valuable lesson: You don't have to rely on other people if you never miss.
This, so, um...

/tread.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
GvidaZ said:
australian..becouse valve said so...
Well when i first played tf2 i thought he was british for the "God save the queen".....Does australia have a queen?
Not since they became a independent country

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Jimmybobjr said:
DarkRyter said:
You know guys, I've been thinking the Engineer's Canadian.
The fact that Engy is Texan has been proven by lore. Engy's Ancestor is definitivley shown as Texan (Due to a Australium "Mutation"). I mean, its possible that hes Part Canadian, but it would be irrelivant in the greater scehem of things.
THAT IS THE JOKE.

See the original poster is blissfully unaware that the Sniper is canonically Australian.

Thus, I mock his ignorance by making an equally inane statement that the Engineer is Canadian, when he is, as you pointed out, obviously from the Southern US.

I apologize for the sarcasm related confusion.