TF2: Why All the Mini-Sentry Hate?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Rule no.1 of all competitive FPS, everything is overpowered and underpowered at the same time.
People like to hang all fault on one thing or another, and having a trapped audience makes it all the more fun.

So be sure to make regular use of mute and ignore features.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
yuval152 said:
I hate it because 90% of all the engineers that uses the mini sentry always uses the frontier justice which is very annyoing and cheap.
If they find it easier to kill you with it than any of the alternatives, why wouldn't they use it? That's just common sense.

OT: I've never understood the hate either. I don't really like playing as the engineer (and there's always plenty of them on the team anyway so it doesn't really matter) but the Gunslinger did make it slightly better for me. If people complain about others using mini-sentries, and they're working, then those complaining have nothing to complain about, so I don't know, just ignore them?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
That said, on MvM, STOP USING WRANGLER.
Except for maps where an Engie can set up a gun far far away from the bot's spawn point while still maintaining a line of sight. Much safer that way, especially against those dreadful Rapid Fire Demomen. Their range is just...unholy.

But yeah, as for the Mini-Sentry on MvM, as you can get one anyway just keep the regular sentry. It just does so much more damage, has more range and way more health especially when upgraded. During regular play it just makes Scouts cry.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Because without effort, an Engineer can quickly create an almost instant-building, damage tanking (while building), distracting, perfect aiming, large area of effectiveness, hard to hit, versatile, little damage falloff, knockback inducing building with as much health as a lower class. If the sentry is destroyed, that Engineer isn't going to give a shit, he can build another without having to find more metal -- and on the front lines, metal is easy to come by from fallen weapons and no other class needing to use metal. And the Gunslinger gives more health.

If they nerfed the health size of the minisentry to, say, fifty HP, and increased the metal cost a small amount, I'd like it more.

And in MvM, the Mini-sentry quite simply doesn't have the raw, sustained, repairing damage output of a regular sentry. The powerup to build a disposable is nice, but it's not worth it over a regular sentry upgrade.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
bojackx said:
yuval152 said:
I hate it because 90% of all the engineers that uses the mini sentry always uses the frontier justice which is very annyoing and cheap.
If they find it easier to kill you with it than any of the alternatives, why wouldn't they use it? That's just common sense.

OT: I've never understood the hate either. I don't really like playing as the engineer (and there's always plenty of them on the team anyway so it doesn't really matter) but the Gunslinger did make it slightly better for me. If people complain about others using mini-sentries, and they're working, then those complaining have nothing to complain about, so I don't know, just ignore them?
Didn't say they shouldn't use it, I just find it annyoing.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
People hate the mini-sentry?

all the dudes i watched on Tf2 never seem to complain or even mention the mini sentries. plus there will always be complainers just go to the WoW forums and you'll see people crying and moaning about Mists of Pandaria and how Vanilla wow was the best wow

Yeah we all loved walking all the way to a instance and waiting for 20 mins for everyone to get there and then for a guy to ninja and then leave. THE GOD DAMM GOLDEN AGE

/rant

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
As an engie main, I'm not a huge fan of the mini-sentry. Properly utilized Level 3's do so much more work.

That said, on MvM, STOP USING WRANGLER. Spend that time fixing your sentry rather than wasting half your ammo trying for kills. Seriously. Had a guy claim I was hacking because my sentry had 27 kills, and his had 9. No, I wasn't hacking, I was fixing the gun while it chewed through the enemy, while you sprayed rockets at nothing in particular before having yours destroyed. A max durability upgrade means that sentry takes FOREVER to kill.
Except that in at least 2 of the 3 maps you can set up a sentry with line of sight to the bot spawn but too far away to auto target them as soon as they appear. It also helps if you want to target giants or the bomb carrier over other robots, or the tank as soon as it arrives if it isn't close enough to your sentry. Once the robots push close enough then yeah give up on the Wrangler and bash away to repair it as it auto targets.

I was in a game on Decoy the other day where I teamed up with a second Engie. I had my sentry on the building down the middle and he had his just round the corner out of site but still on the bomb route. He repaired my sentry while I Wrangled and as soon as the bots were close then I abandoned Wrangling to repair my own sentry and he teleported away to repair his own. Worked like a charm as I did not have to break fire to re-arm my own sentry and it gave us a second line of defence against Giant Scouts.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
The fact that it destroys Scouts is probably my favourite reason as to why I love the Gunslinger. I detest that class more than any other.
Go, Go, Gadget: Mini-Sentry!

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I like mini-sentries, their mobility combined with a few metal regen upgrades, plus a widowmaker, can make a highly mobile Engineer who can hit enemies wherever they hide.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
TheKasp said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Speaking as a scout main, those have got to be some terrible scouts doing the complaining. Minisentries and level 1 regular sentries are the only sentries a scout can reliably take out on his own, using the pistol at a distance. Anything bigger will kill him before he can do much damage.
As a Scout main: I'm not a fan of minisetries. They are annoying as hell, especially since they are so cheap and disposeable (but if they weren't they would be not as usefull). But like everything else: They rise and fall with mapdesign. While I have no problems with those on most pl or cp maps there are those few where it gets just tedious because I can't take them out fast enough due to range and open areas (scouts are loved targets):

koth_king
koth_harvest
and the doomsday map.

There the sentries can cover so much ground on those maps that if there are more than one I bite my keyboard from frustration and switch to a meatier class.
I see what you're saying, but isn't it just as true with regular sentries as it is with mini sentries? I'd say it's even more so, in fact, because the scout is borderline useless against a level 2 or higher sentry. Engineer is kind of a counter to scout.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Because they're useless compared to their older siblings. Y'know, real sentry guns.

Between the Wrangler and the upgrade buildings canteen (and also y'know, the bonus mini sentry you can get as an upgrade), there is no reason to ever use anything but the classic model.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Vidiot said:
What the hell did I miss? I was thinking of coming back to TF2 when I heard there was a "humans vs bots" mode, but now I'm hesitant. How much am I going to have to grind to get this crap?

I've only really played vanilla TF2, but I always played Engie. Is it even worth it to come back now? it sounds like the game has gotten bogged down in all these items and weapons. (I facepalmed at a screen of the DemoPan)
There is no grinding really. The newer weapons are sidegrades of the default weapons. For example, the Heavy has a weapon that can slow down his targets when fired upon, but it doesn't do as much damage. So basically, you can play the game just fine with the default weapons.

Plus being engie during Mann VS Machine mode isn't really that much different to how you play as him normally. You can however use credits your team collects from the robots to upgrade your weapons. But only for that game. Upgrades do not carry over to other games.

Also, watch out for sentry busters. When one comes near you, pick up your sentry and leg it before it blows up.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Because without effort, an Engineer can quickly create an almost instant-building, damage tanking (while building), distracting, perfect aiming, large area of effectiveness, hard to hit, versatile, little damage falloff, knockback inducing building with as much health as a lower class. If the sentry is destroyed, that Engineer isn't going to give a shit, he can build another without having to find more metal -- and on the front lines, metal is easy to come by from fallen weapons and no other class needing to use metal. And the Gunslinger gives more health.
Pretty much this. "Battle Engies" can be incredibly annoying to fight due to them constantly spamming mini-sentries, particularly if they're near some ammo pickups. Bonus annoyance points if they have the Frontier Justice with some revenge crits ready to go.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I don't hate the mini sentry, but then again I play Loch N Load demo so I just oneshot them whenever they show up.