TGA new announcements; gameplays and teasers

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Has it actually been confirmed that Perfect Dark is a reboot? I keep seeing this claim, but haven't seen it from a primary source.
0:40 "we're reinventing the franchise"

Though I could've guessed they weren't do a remake or resmaster just cause thing like the weapon selection being 15x what you'd see in a AAA shooter anytime in the past decade.

While I wouldn't totally disagree with the intent of the statement, its also kind of funny how they act like stealth/secret agent games aren't a thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While I wouldn't totally disagree with the intent of the statement, its also kind of funny how they act like stealth/secret agent games aren't a thing.
They must be really banking on the younger crowd to be that stupid, ignorant, or naive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's not really indicative of much. God of War was a reinvention of its franchise for instance, it didn't reboot it.
That was different, and counted as a soft reboot. In that trailer, you could tell it was still a sequel that took place after III. A soft reboot for PD would not make sense as the last game came out 15 years ago. I was 16! A game that was a prequel and not a good game. It's not much of a shocker that it's full on hard reboot and not the soft reboot God of War 4 was. As far as I am concerned, it's a hard reboot until the team adds or says something otherwise.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That was different, and counted as a soft reboot. In that trailer, you could tell it was still a sequel that took place after III. A soft reboot for PD would not make sense as the last game came out 15 years ago. I was 16! A game that was a prequel and not a good game. It's not much of a shocker that it's full on hard reboot and not the soft reboot God of War 4 was. As far as I am concerned, it's a hard reboot until the team adds or says something otherwise.
I don't think the length of time has anything to do whether a reboot is hard or not. If anything, the likelihood of a soft reboot goes up the longer the time between installments (which, granted, also increases the chance of a hard reboot).

But there's little to suggest it's hard or soft. The only things we know about the setting are:

-Earth has experienced/is experiencing ecological disaster

-Megacorporations stepped in and provided solutions, but they're up to shady shit

-dataDyne (still) exists, and Joanna is apparently working in opposition to it

None of that is incongruent with what was established previously. Now, if I had to bet, I'd wager the game is set into the future a few decades - PD imagined the world of the 2020s, so this'll probably imagine the world of the 2040s, or maybe 30s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think the length of time has anything to do whether a reboot is hard or not. If anything, the likelihood of a soft reboot goes up the longer the time between installments (which, granted, also increases the chance of a hard reboot).

But there's little to suggest it's hard or soft. The only things we know about the setting are:

-Earth has experienced/is experiencing ecological disaster

-Megacorporations stepped in and provided solutions, but they're up to shady shit

-dataDyne (still) exists, and Joanna is apparently working in opposition to it

None of that is incongruent with what was established previously. Now, if I had to bet, I'd wager the game is set into the future a few decades - PD imagined the world of the 2020s, so this'll probably imagine the world of the 2040s, or maybe 30s.
Which is why I said that I'm just going to assume it's a hard reboot until stated it otherwise. If it turns out you're right, you're right. If not, oh well. I won't be able to play anyway unless I decide to get a X series X.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons Arcade game better be included in this
Maybe in an update. I know Alien versus Predator is not on the list so far either. Capcom would have to pony up the license either way for both. They have more than enough cash to upload the ROMs on the game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
As for Mass Effect, I'm kind of pissed at it. Not only does it seem to be taking place post-ME3 (setting anything in the Milky Way post-ME3 is a stupid idea IMO), but it seems to be based on the "destroy" ending. An ending that everyone seems to treat as being the 'good' ending for some reason I can't fathom. Much as I disliked Andromeda, if there absolutely had to be another Mass Effect game, I'd rather it be set there, or have BioWare just start a new IP if they want to cover sci-fi along with fantasy (Dragon Age) and sci-fa (Anthem).
Well they weren't going to continue andromeda after the clusterfuck it was (and imo if they wanted to go the andromeda route they should instead have another group of people go to another galaxy cause the andromeda galaxy was boring AF, just two species?). They can't set the game before the event of ME1 since there wouldn't be any human, so their focus group tell them not to. Having the game be concurrent to one of the other ME would be kinda weird, since you'd know anything you would do would be pointless because of ME3 ending. The destroy ending is the most "vanilla" of the ending, otherwise any threats would be trivial since you'd have the reaper still around (either as mind controlled by Shepard or as weird hybrid w/e the green ending was). But yeah the obvious answer is to make a new sci-fi IP, and that's probably what Anthem was supposed to be but that went nowhere. At this point Bioware hasn't made a new IP that worked since original ME and they're last few game have been iffy at best, so they're probably playing it safe and re using IP before EA inevitably shutter the studio.