TGC 2009: How a Board Game Can Make You Cry

jcdietrich

Jul 4, 2009
The idea to deliberately create a game that is not "fun" for the purposes of evoking an emotional response is very intriguing. It has the potential to create a type of game that very few would ever play more than once, but that most would value their single play greatly.

bbrathwaite I would like to encourage you to either self-publish these, or consider releasing these works using a creative commons license so that others can experience, and learn from your work.

truekid

Jan 26, 2010
Honestly, Ian, I don't think JPL's obviously trolling post deserved a response. He clearly has no clue about boardgame theme integration or design intent (or, at BEST, seems to be confusing it with video games), yet is vocal and rude about it anyway... moreover, he's vocal and rude about it -without even having played it or seen it played-. My first impulse was to pick apart the flaws in his post, until i realized i could do it for virtually every paragraph, and then classified him as a troll.

Shadow_Kid

Jan 5, 2009
It started with a speech on maturity. That speech made me think differently about "Ubisoft Unveils a Sexy Wii Minigame Compilation for Adults". Which was curently in the headlines, where I read here on the escapist. After reading the story, I went back to the writers said speech, and asked them a question. Without answers, I continued, looking into what else had been said on Sex in games. From that, the name of Brenda Brathwaite was mentioned. She had a Wikipedia entry. I zeroed in. "Brathwaite delivered Train: How I Dumped Electricity and Learned to Love Design [16] at the 2010 Gamesauce Conference."

[16] http://gamesauce.org/news/2010/08/20/train-how-i-dumped-electricity-and-learned-to-love-design-brenda-brathwaite/

Several hours ago EA was being told grow up for the sake of games everywhere. It made me think of the humour in scaring mothers. A long time ago I saw shovelware as a stepping stone to the future. That was yesterday. I have changed. Simply because, a game that can make you cry - even exists.