TGS '10: Devil May Cry Getting Reboot, Face-Lift

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with a reboot, but leave the character alone, Dante had personality, this just makes him look like a generic demon slaying Kratos wannabe.

I would have been interested if they had given him a different name, but I just can't think of this guy as Dante.

Edit: Considering now the idea that this may just be a very early start. If this guy evolves into Dante, like some kinda demonic pokemon. I'll be ok with that...

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Lyri said:
Fuck the fanboys.

DMC was rather stale, props to Ninja Theory for going 180 on it's ass.
Amen to that.

ANImaniac89 said:
I got it
This Dante is the bastard offspring of a one night stand the older Dante had with Bayonetta. It all make sense now.
Provided this Dante is a separate continuity or later timeline, I'm happy. This could be a very young original Dante, or a Dante Jr. Either way, it looks interesting.

Disclaimer: I have never played a Devil May Cry. I did, however, immensely enjoy Bayonetta. I will be picking up Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 2 at some point in the future, however.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Silva said:
Devil May Cry is not about a black haired, smoking boyhood protagonist who ends up in chains tortured several times. It's about a white haired half-demon man who enjoys pizza and strawberry sundaes who repeatedly gets stabbed through the chest with his own sword during his adventures.
Is it wrong that I like the first description more?

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
.........people completely denouncing a game based on nothing more than 30 seconds of game trailer...again........sigh....

Trailers mean absolutely nothing. Acording to trailers MadWorld looks like its a good game..but you know what? Its not. Im so tired of people judging a game when they havent played it, especially when there is no gameplay trailers or a Beta version of the game. This applies to judging a game as incredible or terrible. Get the game, play it for a minimum of 5 hours and then come online and judge it how you see fit.

Can I remind everyone that is angry at the new DMC that your angry at the fact that they made him younger and giving him a dye job.

Its a reboot. From a different company. With a different interpretation of the game. Keyword here is "different".

The original DMC was conceived purely because Campcom wanted to make a RE that was...different and the entire series is based around being...(you guessed it)...different! They made a new RE game and half way through they decided to make it into a new IP, then they changed things in number 2, most fans didnt like it, then they changed it again in number 3, most fans did like it, and what did they do when they brought out number 4? Thats right, they changed it again.

Im saying this as a fan of the series, I enjoyed all the games except number 2 and iv read the manga.

Plus its just a reboot, if you dont like it you dont have to play it. I enjoy FF7 but that doesnt mean I want to play any of the tie games, instead I just ignore them.

Which, if your one of the people ready to call a game terrible based on nothing more that half a minute of a trailer, then so should you.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
Lyri said:
Fuck the fanboys.

DMC was rather stale, props to Ninja Theory for going 180 on it's ass.
Amen to that.

ANImaniac89 said:
I got it
This Dante is the bastard offspring of a one night stand the older Dante had with Bayonetta. It all make sense now.
Provided this Dante is a separate continuity or later timeline, I'm happy. This could be a very young original Dante, or a Dante Jr. Either way, it looks interesting.

Disclaimer: I have never played a Devil May Cry. I did, however, immensely enjoy Bayonetta. I will be picking up Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 2 at some point in the future, however.
You're gonna wanna avoid 2 and go straight for 3. 2 isn't really a bad game but it's not really a good game, and it does nothing for the story so you can just ignore that too.

Also, I just realized that Dante is in MVC 3 as the Dante that we know. White hair, red coat, ect. So hopefully they're either going to have REAL Dante or this is just some wierd alternate universe.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
mazzjammin22 said:
Is it wrong that I like the first description more?
No, your preference is fine. My point demonstrates that this is not quintessential Devil May Cry so far. If you don't mind it being completely different, and don't care about the continuation of a franchise, then that's fine. For those of us that do, the new Dante remains an issue.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Daquin said:
Bluesclues said:
Daquin said:
I'm not angry with this, but I am not happy with it either. From how DMC 4 seemed to go, I was expecting Virgil to come back to be evil, a flavor of evil that would need both Ichigo...I mean Nero and Dante. Yes, that story would be contrived, but it would be that generic anime silliness that they really went to 11 with in the Dante portions of DMC 4.

I am not a fan of "gritty retcons" because they always seem to work for the lowest common denominator. It reminds me way too much of the 90's where all comic characters had to be all muscle and rawrg. DMC started silly (I wish I could be the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiight!) and it continued the silliness through the series except in 2 which I still consider the worst of the series. Yes, the Nero aspect of the story was very Bleach (in more than just Nero and Ichigo having the same voice actor), but that was why Dante is there, to say that the story was contrived and then go on his own silly tangent.

DMC, at the core, should be more Brutal Legend and less God of War.
Virgil is dead though, you kill him near the end of the first game...and considering chronologically, the games go 3, 1, 4, 2, I don't think he's going to be making any sort of comeback.
Do you really put it past the writers of Devil May Cry (if it were the case) to not find some weird way to bring him back if they really wanted?

"Mwa ha ha, I am Virgil, you know me well, I have come back thanks to this! (holds out sword) It is the Sword of Retcon! It allows me to change the plot whenever I want."
It's 50/50 if you put it that way. A different developer is making the game, so they might either toss him in because someone vaguely played the games or knows part of the backstory, or, they might even forget he exists because no one bothered to learn the backstory or because of the fact that it's a reboot. Only time will really tell.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
http://www.gemakei.com/news2.php?newsId=44826
The sword is pretty cool cuz it turns into a chain whip but Dante's look alone is absolutely awful.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Frequen-Z said:
This is dire, as I said in the other thread. His hair is too iconic a feature to change.

Also the world in general looks very very different. Not remotely the same style as the other games (with the possible exception of 4, not coincidentally my least favourite of the series)

I think I may just be done with the DMC series. It's clearly peaked, unless they change back everything about Dante, this can never be as good as the first 3 games.
From the trailer, the world looks very similar to that of DMC2, which we all know was AMAZING.

Want to disagree? Well fuck you, you're wrong. Nah, I'm kidding, DMC2 was probably one of the weakest in the series but I still loved it, so leave the game alone.

My biggest problem with Teen Dante is how much he looks like the Project Lead, it's a bit too self-indulgent.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
So I guess I'm in the minority here, but I REALLY LIKE the redesign. Mostly because this is one of the few times a protagonist in a Japanese video game legitimately looks Japanese. Don't ask me why, but the non-asian appearance of most characters in games of asian origin really gets under my skin, so props to Ninja Theory for breaking the homogenous mold.

And honestly, I don't know what you fanboys are complaining about. So he dyed his hair back to its original color. He STILL looks like a narcissistic, slightly androgynous asshole.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
fuck capcom. you just ruined your own series.
they could've just made up another new hero and make him an emo brat, but nooooo gritty reboots are in... fuck them again.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
Am I the only one paying attention? He had all black hair at the beginning, then a massive patch of white appeared. This means one of 2 things. 1 - it's part of the story of how his hair turns white...doubtful because the 'story' in DMC is traditionally less interesting than that. So 2 - there's going to be a shitty 'demon' mode and the stronger your xp the whiter the hair. Then at the end it'll be like 'oh, now he's all powerful so his hair is always white'.

I'm reminded of a thousand monkeys sitting at type writers...except this was probably done by a single egg plant.

Ashley Mcmullen

Jul 14, 2011
well if this is mid to late teen years for dante then i dont mind the change...to much. i like to think vergil shaved his hair in his sleep and that was the best he could do to save it. and i dont know what everyone is complaining about him being puny, do any 'fanboys' remember being built like hulk hogan at 16? no, ur just starting to truly develope muscle mass and i think it would be awesome if he slowly changed into the devil hunter we all kno and love. one thing i pray to all that is truly gaming they keep is dante's sarcastic humor i saw a glimpse of it when he gave a noogy to a demon then used his cig to burn out his eye! sweet! and u got to remember dante wasnt born all mighty in badassery he had to grow first and by the fact his mom was killed and for awhile he thought vergil was too it is dangerous to be sparda's son so maybe this game will be about dante not hiding anymore and finally kicking some demon ass!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
My god, I thought DMC fans were above childish bitching. Holy shit guys, it's just a redesign. Calm the fuck down. Yes it's not "white hair and red trench coat" Dante but so the fuck what? It's still him, he's just youngest with predominantly black hair.

A character's appearance changing does not ruin an entire series, especially when the upcoming game is meant to be a prequel.