Thanks for sterotyping.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
A friend of mine linked me this video of an American show's depiction of gaming. I'm afriad I don't know how to imbed so here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfJ4ZC1AtA

Now I'm English and I don't watch a lot of TV but when we aren't being shown to be potential serial killers in the news is this how our hobby is represented or is this just a particularly bad case?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
ITS CAPTAIN WINTERS! OH MY GOD!

...sorry.

But yeah games in TV is always depressing. And a lot of shows do this. There's worse out there though I'm sure.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I didn't see anything really insulting to gamers.

(1) Whoever hacked it was clearly intelligent and clever, and just happened to be a gamer.
(2) Sorry, over-30, living at home with his parents, and owning a Kirk costume probably does make him a gamer. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. They never once implied that he was a representative of all gamers, just one cutural subset that is prone to gaming.
(3) The teenage girl kicked ass at the game, showing that not only middle-aged nerds play video games, and that women have every potential to kick ass at it.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Aren't you overreacting? I didn't see anything that slanders videogames, but quite the opposite. Everyone in the goddamn office gathers around to watch and play, they smile and the woman seems to be immersed in the game, and the whole lot seems to have good time. If you would see only that part you wouldn't know that they are tracking down a murderer.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ha, That's... [sub]funny[/sub].

But, yeah gamers are misrepresented on TV, it's not that most people don't know what gamers are like, it's just that the stereotype is way easier to present and more people probably grasp what it is.
That's true for all stereotypes, not just gamers.

May 5, 2010
Yeah, that's nowhere near as bad as Law and Order's interpretation of gaming. I wont' bother linking it, as there's a good chance someone else will have done it by the time I finish typing this sentence.

Jun 11, 2008
Layzor said:
A friend of mine linked me this video of an American show's depiction of gaming. I'm afriad I don't know how to imbed so here's a link:

Now I'm English and I don't watch a lot of TV but when we aren't being shown to be potential serial killers in the news is this how our hobby is represented or is this just a particularly bad case?
[ youtube=HFfJ4ZC1AtA ] this is how to do it.
There you go.

Anyway I tend to completely ignore stereotyping like this so it doesn't get to me anymore I suggest you try do the same. Edit: After completely watching the video it is not that bad really the other one that was uploaded awhile ago was much worse.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
wait, wait, hold on here...
what just happened in the video?
i'm not to fond of the "i'm a nerd, therefore i excel at video games" addittude that one guy had. but just what exactly are you guys talking about? there are several possibal insults to gamers in that video, but what are you trying to point out?

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
That's an OUTRAGE!! There's no way a girl would make it to level 10......

Hahaha, I laughed so hard at this pathetic clip. Obviously a huge plug that was mishandled.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Yeah, that's nowhere near as bad as Law and Order's interpretation of gaming. I wont' bother linking it, as there's a good chance someone else will have done it by the time I finish typing this sentence.
While that made me mad at first too, I got over it. It wasn't about gaming. It was because the woman had a brain injury that caused her to violently disassociate from her daughter (she believed her daughter was actually some kind of doppelganger and refused to acknowledge the relationship) and her instinctual need to mother something led her to video games. It was actually fairly interesting.

Has anyone stopped to think that some of these "negative" portrayals of gamers are not a personal insult? That instead we have become culturally relevant enough the writers simply draw on gamers to create an interesting character, just like they draw on politicians, lawyers, businessmen etc?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Honestly, I wasn't insulted by the stereotypes represented so much as the technical inaccuracy. TV shows tend to be built for idiots.

May 5, 2010
Jaded Scribe said:
While that made me mad at first too, I got over it. It wasn't about gaming. It was because the woman had a brain injury that caused her to violently disassociate from her daughter (she believed her daughter was actually some kind of doppelganger and refused to acknowledge the relationship) and her instinctual need to mother something led her to video games. It was actually fairly interesting.

Has anyone stopped to think that some of these "negative" portrayals of gamers are not a personal insult? That instead we have become culturally relevant enough the writers simply draw on gamers to create an interesting character, just like they draw on politicians, lawyers, businessmen etc?
Oh, yeah, just to be clear, I didn't take it as an insult, or even a negative statement about games/gamers in general. I just think their idea of what a game LOOKS like is hilariously cheesy.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
since when could you rip games on to the original Xbox?....still...It was the most compelling piece of shit I've ever seen.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Jaded Scribe said:

Oh, yeah, just to be clear, I didn't take it as an insult, or even a negative statement about games/gamers in general. I just think their idea of what a game LOOKS like is hilariously cheesy.
Lol, yeah. But I've been a fan of SVU since it started, and it isn't always that bad. One episode featured a Second Life -esque MMO, and they were able to use information in the game to track down the kidnapper.

I don't think the writers have the view they express in the episode with the crazy woman. They can respect the medium as well. That specific portrayal just fit best with what they were doing.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Layzor said:

I think this clip is more insulting to police than gamers.

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
Could be worse. I mean, anyone remember the CSI: Miami episode "Urban Hellraisers"?
Long story short, college kids replicated a violent video game and killed a bunch of people.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
oplinger said:
ITS CAPTAIN WINTERS! OH MY GOD!

...sorry.

But yeah games in TV is always depressing. And a lot of shows do this. There's worse out there though I'm sure.
As I watched this, I could only thing of a spy movie where data was hidden on an... wait for it... Atari 5200 game. Beat the game to get the intel.

So, they haven't updated this cliche since Cloak & Dagger in 1984.

As for being able to win a game through button mashing. Actors are notorious for miming badly, such as driving a car, playing a musical instrument, and so on.