That Freelancer Feel

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Asking for money is a horrible experience though, when I went to school they regularly organized days where you would walk around and beg people for money towards charities, now I'm sure the people who would benefit from the charity appreciates it immensely, and I'm glad I could help, but rethinking back to begging strangers for money still gives me shudders

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I love getting paid, I hate having to submit invoices... I have no idea why, but I totally understand that thought process, just not why it happens.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Damn, I thought this was going to be about Freelancer.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Signa said:
You and me pal, You. And. Me.

(I miss you Freelancer, it's not the same without you, please come back.
No, I don't love Star Citizen, only You. Only You.)

<color=white>Too much?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
This is like me and taxes. I use an online site and it takes - at most - 2 hours. I get paid so little for my job that the government pays me thousands of dollars each year in apology. Still, I'll find every excuse I can why tomorrow would be a better day than tonight to file my taxes.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Same deal here, and I can't explain why? There is some natural aversion to filling in and sending out invoices that make it a loathed task of dread and despair. "Yay! Have 80 hours of bills les this week! I'm sure I'll actually get around to billing it out eventually... Ooo look gotta cycle the WoW Garrison!"

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Hmm... when I was freelancing I felt no such aversion... probably because I REALLY needed the money.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's paperwork, and nobody likes paperwork. I think we have an ingraned preference for the ol' "punch the timecard, get the paycheck" routine.

Scars Unseen said:
This is like me and taxes. I use an online site and it takes - at most - 2 hours. I get paid so little for my job that the government pays me thousands of dollars each year in apology. Still, I'll find every excuse I can why tomorrow would be a better day than tonight to file my taxes.
Not me, buddy. I need that cash! You'll find me filing first day.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Signa said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

<color=white>Too much?
Me three. I want it back. Right now. Screw Microsoft for sitting on it and doing absolutely NOTHING with it.

Oh well. See you, space freelancer.

OT: I'm not a freelancer at all so... What are invoices? o_o

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm not a freelancer at all so... What are invoices? o_o
Basically invoices are forms you send the company you've done work for asking to be paid for services you've provided. I think it's done because you're not on the company payroll so they need documents saying what you've done and why they gave you money, tax purposes and records pretty much.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Shinsei-J said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm not a freelancer at all so... What are invoices? o_o
Basically invoices are forms you send the company you've done work for asking to be paid for services you've provided. I think it's done because you're not on the company payroll so they need documents saying what you've done and why they gave you money, tax purposes and records pretty much.
Oh I see. Thanks! Out of curiosity though, is it kinda hard to make it as a freelancer?

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
Then again, you probably wouldn't be a freelancer in the first place if you didn't hate money.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
eBusiness said:
Then again, you probably wouldn't be a freelancer in the first place if you didn't hate money.
Actually, in the right industry, with the right experience (and a little bit of self promotion), you can get significantly more as a freelancer than in a 9-5 job; $300/hour as a programmer is nothing to scoff at.

I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of money, but I don't have the stones, or the experience, for that sort of life.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Man, so relevant I fucking hate invoicing. And doing the weekly pay-hours.

I don't know why we have a system that practically makes the whole thing a minor data entry chore followed by a stock email but I still fucking despise doing them. I hate chasing them up when they haven't been paid on time even more.

Worst. Job. Ever.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Signa said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

<color=white>Too much?
Me three. I want it back. Right now. Screw Microsoft for sitting on it and doing absolutely NOTHING with it.

OT: I'm not a freelancer at all so... What are invoices? o_o
I remember seeing a thing somewhere that said the reason that awesome game isn't on any digital distribution system is because nobody's quite sure who owns the rights. Digital Anvil dissolved, and Microsoft's rep said they took the rights with them...somehow. Look, can someone less lazy than me figure this out? I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER COPY OF THIS GAME SO I CAN PLAY IT WHEN I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE DISC.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Adept Mechanicus said:
I remember seeing a thing somewhere that said the reason that awesome game isn't on any digital distribution system is because nobody's quite sure who owns the rights. Digital Anvil dissolved, and Microsoft's rep said they took the rights with them...somehow. Look, can someone less lazy than me figure this out? I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER COPY OF THIS GAME SO I CAN PLAY IT WHEN I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE DISC.
The only way to buy the game right now is to buy it on Amazon or Ebay. Disregarding the, err, more illegal methods.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I do free lancing and my only worry is that the client will see through my carefully crafted professional invoice and realise I am a hack fraud who understands nothing of business.

The reason we are so afraid of it in the creative industry is because we usually have zero business training and it's like asking a banker to draw a picture of Batman. Totally outside of the comfort zone. We are artists and crafts people. We make a living out of what we do but it's an abstract from the process. Kickstarter is proof of why most creatives should not be allowed within 100ft of a budget. I would never back a project without someone with a solid business background. You need a producer to handle that stuff, it's a whole other skill set and just as valuable as the artist.