That game series/franchise you used to love, that you think have destroyed themselves?

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I'd say Star Ocean, but to be honest I didn't play 3. 1 was okay, 2 was brilliant, but 4 was just horrible.
ShadowKatt said:
Wayneguard said:
Final Fantasy. What the fuck happened guys?
Can't believe this was post 7. SHould have been #2. Or 0, predating the OP because of the power of TRUTH.

Seriously though, XIII is getting two offshoots (Vs. and something else) AND a sequel, and no one will touch any of the decent ones except to remake them. With the same graphics.
What makes you think Versus and Type-0 are going to suck? They're both directed by people who aren't Motomu Toriyama.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Defense said:
I'd say Star Ocean, but to be honest I didn't play 3. 1 was okay, 2 was brilliant, but 4 was just horrible.
ShadowKatt said:
Wayneguard said:
Can't believe this was post 7. SHould have been #2. Or 0, predating the OP because of the power of TRUTH.

Seriously though, XIII is getting two offshoots (Vs. and something else) AND a sequel, and no one will touch any of the decent ones except to remake them. With the same graphics.
What makes you think Versus and Type-0 are going to suck? They're both directed by people who aren't Motomu Toriyama.
Because XIII was god awful(granted, opinion, but this whole thread is opinion). In fact I threw in XIII just earlier to remind myself of all the reasons that the game was so awful and it took a whole 2 minutes to do so.

I don't know who Motomu Toriyama is, but I don't think it's relevant. It's still Square making the game, replacing one person doesn't change the whole development staff, and these games are going to be more of the same.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Resident Evil. I was a huge fan of the old ones that focused on the whole survival horror aspect. Hate the new action games. Silent Hill to a lesser degree. It's still attempting to be a horror game, at least.
Yes, this. I can see where you're getting at, but I absolutely adore RE4, and consider it to be my favorite game of all time. But yes it needs to end, it's at the stage where it's just copying all other shooters out there right now.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Defense said:
ShadowKatt said:
Wayneguard said:

Because XIII was god awful(granted, opinion, but this whole thread is opinion). In fact I threw in XIII just earlier to remind myself of all the reasons that the game was so awful and it took a whole 2 minutes to do so.

I don't know who Motomu Toriyama is, but I don't think it's relevant. It's still Square making the game, replacing one person doesn't change the whole development staff, and these games are going to be more of the same.
Motomu Toriyama be the developer yo. He also made catastrophe's like Final Fantasy X-2 and made the dialogue for Front Mission Evolved.

Versus XIII will be made by Nomura, whose KH series has good ideas but is crippled by Disney's control. And Type-0 is made by Tabata, who also directed Crisis Core. You don't have to believe me, but Tabata is probably one of the better directors out there. And Type-0 doesn't look to be a total piece of crap, since the Steampunk setting and gameplay is really attractive.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
The Masters of Orion series. Number two was an incredible game with lots of depth to it that has stolen countless hours of my life. Number 3 was an easier to learn, but extremely watered down and boring sequel that took everything I loved about the game and threw it aside. Not only that, but it killed what had the potential to be the greatest turn-based strategy series ever made.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I guess I have to agree w/ the:

Halo

I loved Combat Evolved...it was fun and played it alot and it has a local co-op for story mode and it had a....story

Then MP was cool...and then 2 came out and we threw the story away and focused on...Xbox Live...and it was lost...added in ODST those guys were cool

Then 3.....sold basically for the MP....and "Halo" tagged to it

Played around with Halo 4 (reach whatever) and it was...still blah

Call of Duty

Seems taking 10000s of conspiracy theroies and tagging them together into FPS game w/ some sorta story tagged onto it seems to make a game...

but it....is sold for MP now

Call of Duty 2 was great
Call of Duty 3 was amusing
Call of Duty World @ War was...gritty really showed war

Yeah you can say "Multiplayer is what sells" but they arent selling these FOR multiplayer...its no like MAG where its basically "You and 20000 friends vs them...THIS IS REAL WAR" no people line up to buy these games...for basically the broken mp value...

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Metroid series. That last one was terrible. Silent Hill started to suck after the third one as well. The 4th was not bad, but it did signal where things started to slip.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
If I was that invested in Final Fantasy I would have to say that since ever game other than 7 that I've played has been a disappointment. Then again I feel the same thing is happening to Kingdom Hearts. After Kingdom Hearts II (The sole expection being Birth By Sleep) every game could have just been called stalling. Ingoring that the story is now a huge mess there's no reason why Recoded and/or Dream Drop Distance couldn't have been part of Kingdom Hearts 3. To get back on topic I think Final Fantasy in general needs to die and Kingdom Hearts needs to get it's act together before it totaly becomes everything that was wrong with Final Fantasy.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Another franchise would be Star Wars games. Back in the 90's it seemed that LucasArts could do no wrong. Well okay, they had a few lackluster releases (Yoda Stories, anyone?), but the good far outweighed the bad. The X-Wing series, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Rebel Assault, Rogue Squadron...it was a veritable cornucopia of Star Wars goodness.

That all began to change around 2000, when LucasArts released a flood of mediocre to bad prequel tie-ins. There was a brief period around 2004-2006 when a few noteworthy Star Wars games were released (Battlefront 1&2, Lego Star Wars, Empire at War), but the series has fallen from grace again with releases like The Force Unleashed and the Clone Wars games.

Modern Star Wars games feel hollow and phoned-in nowadays. They're pretty much relying on brand-name recognition alone, much like the prequel films.
Fuck yes man. The Force Unleashed was the end of the rebirth-era for me. Battlefront, KoTOR, Lego Star Wars are all fucking great (Battlefront & KoTOR are balls out classics). But what have we seen recently? The PSP Battlefronts are churned out with incredible mediocrity, both of the Force Unleashed are miserable (only played the first one though, so I can't really speak for 2), and I didn't even bother with that Clone Wars game.

I was actually going to post about KoTOR. The original holds a place in my all time favorite list, but I never finished number 2. I'm not going on record as saying that 2 is a bad game, but it was just missing something. I'm not sure about The Old Republic, but I'm leaning on the cynical side.

Matt-Sama

Oct 31, 2009
Never liked Sonic anyway.

Probably Call of Duty, really liked Finest Hour, 3, Modern Warfare and World at War. Rest are dogshit, fucking hate black ops and MW2.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
Spyro </3
:/ It's sad to see a game that you grew up with turn into piles of garbage.
I miss it when it was just Spyro and Sparx (and money bags, hunter & shelia.) No half-assed plot, no love interest, No awkward game mechanics.
sigh... :/

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
daftalchemist said:
You mean to say you didn't love NOSEPASS?! But he's a NOSE POKEMON! Don't you get how clever it is?!

Gold/Silver's crew did feel like actual undiscovered Pokemon. They fit so well with everything else. And some of Ruby/Sapphire and beyond were good too (I love Furret forever), but for the most part it just seems like they're taking a body part/inanimate object and mixing it with an animal/alien/elemental. There's even a goth Pokemon now. A GOTH POKEMON! It's just too much.
I actually haven't played any of the Pokemon games after Gold/Silver (except for FireRed, the GBA remake of Red). I'm sure that there were plenty of solid, non-bizarre additions to the Pokedex in the post Gold/Silver days. I only singled out Ruby/Sapphire because it was when I started seeing promo stuff for Ruby/Sapphire that I first got a feel for where the series was headed.

I mean, let's compare the aesthetic of the art design and name of "Charizard" (featured on the cover of Red version) to the aesthetic of the art design and name of "Rayquazza" (featured on the cover of Emerald version). Google these names and compare the pictures if you don't know what they look like.

I'm not at saying that Ruby/Sapphire (or any of the post-Gold/Silver releases) are necessarily BAD games or that they didn't bring anything good to the table for the Pokemon franchise. Like I said, I haven't played them, so I can't really judge them in that regard. It's just that, for me, the introduction of the Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon line-up is when I realized that they were going to keep milking the franchise forever by making weirder and weirder creatures, and that's why I just got turned off from the franchise.

That being said, I can, and occasionally will, go back and play my old copies from the Red/Blue or Gold/Silver generation, or a remake like "FireRed," and still enjoy it. Pokemon, as a concept, is great. I just don't like what the franchise has become, and, well, that's what this thread is about. :)

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Wayneguard said:
Ninja'd. Yeah, I loved FF6 and FF9, but the series has been slowly deteriorating from FF10 and onward IMO. At least FF12 had pretty decent voice acting, there is that in its favour...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Deef said:
The Masters of Orion series. Number two was an incredible game with lots of depth to it that has stolen countless hours of my life. Number 3 was an easier to learn, but extremely watered down and boring sequel that took everything I loved about the game and threw it aside. Not only that, but it killed what had the potential to be the greatest turn-based strategy series ever made.
Same thing happened with Space Empires. 5 was just meh, 4 was amazing despite some balancing issues which the massive modding community sorted out.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Im going with Warcraft aswell. I loved the world and story from WC3...

Now Diablo is next. What happened to Blizzard??
Nothing but remakes and the same old from a company who ones were so great.

Smells like Activision.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
Wait a minute! We're three pages in to this thread, and nobody mentioned Tony Hawk? Wtf, guys?

I played THPS2 religiously when I was in high school. Once THUG hit the consoles, it really lost its sheen. Granted, doing a McTwist over a helicopter while jumping off a building is flipping sweet, the game as a whole felt rather stale. I liked the fact that your stats grew based on how often you did certain tricks. That was kinda nifty. But they really didn't have the flair of the originals.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil, Resident Evil.

I loved the series when i started playing back in the 90s and i kinda started to loose that love with 4 and completely lost with 5, To me 4 was ok cos some of the horror was still there and i still felt weak compared to the thinks i was killing.