That Guy With The Glasses/ Nostalgia Critic site

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
While I originally got hooked by Nostalgia Critic and Spoony, there's been more than enough excellent shows from that website to keep me interested. My attention actually withdrew from Doug for a while until his show was renewed (adding some much needed refreshment!).

Currently I regulary watch Sage's Anime Abandon. His acting and mostly intellectual analysis of the medium provides and excellent balance for my taste. While not as frequent in viewing, I've enjoyed JesuOtaku's series as well (her Miyazaki month and Digimon reviews certainly brought childhood nostalgia to me).

However, I feel obligated to give a shout out to a relatively new series which I only discovered by chance (TGWTG has hidden treasures all over) by the name of Renegade Cut, created by Leon Thomas. It provides an in-depth analysis of concepts and philosophical undertones sometimes overlapping more than one single movie. While perhaps not for viewers wanting comedy, I still find it to be much needed fresh air for the site with unique, high quality videos doing something different. The website's search engine is working considerably better these days, so it shouldn't be hard finding it!

And of course I still give most other shows a viewing every now and then, might do a Linkara marathon at some point. Same with Phelous. It's such a gigantic place with endless content I don't know where to start sometimes!

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I like a lot of the site and generally check it soon after my emails whenever I wake up in the morning.

I like most of the critics (But will only watch them when they review something I've heard of, with the exception of Blockbuster Buster, NC, Linkara,Nash (And I'm breaking bracket rules to say the guy's had a shit year and deserves any praise he's given) and Film Brain), and with critics who barely update I'll watch their stuff just to see if they still have it.

Only critic they have on their team right about now I outright hate is JesuOtaku, for personal reasons (Alongside that she hasn't even properly reviewed Digimon Tamers, started too many shows early on this year, and trash-talked Man of Steel because, no BS, the camera was shaky).

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I like a good chunk of the site, but due to the shitty ad experience with Blip, I've stopped watching pretty much everything but NC, Linkara, some Todd, and Nash. I'm having trouble thinking of others.

Hate Angry Joe, though.

silver wolf009 said:
I just have one question: What happened to Welshy?! He said something about going off to tape a movie, but that was what, two years ago?

[HEADING=1]WHERE ARE YOU SWEET PRINCE?![/HEADING]
It hasn't been that long, has it?
You're right, his last video that I can find on TGWTG was posted on Friday, 09 November 2012. So it's been nine months. I was way off; just a byproduct of my Welshy deprived mind.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
silver wolf009 said:
You're right, his last video that I can find on TGWTG was posted on Friday, 09 November 2012. So it's been nine months. I was way off; just a byproduct of my Welshy deprived mind.
Still longer than I thought it had been. Huh. He updated fairly irregularly and I didn't watch his horror reviews, so I guess I just didn't notice.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
silver wolf009 said:
Still longer than I thought it had been. Huh. He updated fairly irregularly and I didn't watch his horror reviews, so I guess I just didn't notice.
Sucks, as he was close to done with a series respective.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Nostalgia Critic is the only one I've watched.

His stuff is good but, God, his videos don't half drag on sometimes. There's lots of filler out there that isn't funny also. He's usually at his best when he's just talking in front of the camera, not any of his stupid pantomime performances with 'guest critics'.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I love the TGWTG team, but the only one I really watch is Doug Walker. I love the Nostalgia Critic, I love the Bum Reviews, and I really enjoy the solo videos he does out-of-character and the reviews he does with his brother Rob.

Also, ever since Freeman's Mind moved to the site I've been keeping up with it intently. It's one of my favorite series, so I've glad Ross Scott managed to find a place for it.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I don't watch too many of the reviewers there, and the ones I do I'm mostly starting to like less and less.

Nostalgia Critic - Really liked him (his 5 Second Reviews are what brought me to the site), but my enjoyment of him waned towards him rolling out Demo Reel, and while I largely do enjoy his comeback reviews, the skits with the unfunny Demo Reel people really kill them.

Nostalgia Chick - I tend to love her reviews, but she rarely puts one out, and the last few things she's been putting out are her book club esq "I'm going to have a bunch of people write a parody book and I'm going to get the credit for it once I put all the bits I like together" crap.

JessOtaku - Admittedly, I haven't really watched much of her stuff, but from what I've seen, I've largely liked, but she has for the past year or so started things and never finishes them and/or says so-and-so will come out at X time but is never released.

Todd in the Shadows - Uploads often, is consistently amusing, I just wish that he uploaded more music movie reviews (so good).

Linkara - Can be pretty funny at times, but his story crap is boring and well, crap.

Angry Joe - Alright I suppose, but he screams a tad bit much and thinks too highly of himself.

Rap Critic - Ok I guess, don't have much of an opinion on him (mainly watch because the boyfriend like him).

Occasionally I'll watch some of the other reviewers if they cover something I'm interested in seeing a review for (such as Suede [I think] and his Pokemon reviews), and while I love Freeman's Mind, I don't really consider it a TGWTG product. Also, what happened to the Critical Marine? The review of his that I saw (of The Marine, naturally) was good, he had a cameo in To Boldly Flee and that Last Airbender review, and I love the idea of an enlisted person reviewing war films, but thanks to the site's shitastic search bar, I haven't been able to find anything else of his. Did he quit/leave/get fired/something else?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
FargoDog said:
Casual Shinji said:
- Sage is okay with his game reviews, but Anime Abandom is really sorta embarressing because he just isn't funny at all. And the amount by which he tries makes me feel almost sad for the guy.
When Sage first started Anime Abandon he was actually pretty good, I found, but it very quickly devolved into 'shocked reaction at strange shocking things' and it felt like the shows were doing 95 percent of the work for him. His End of Eva review highlighted it, when it gave him the opportunity for both proper critical analysis and humour and it devolved into some weird, self-indulgent story thing. None of the reviewers have ever done 'story' well but that was particularly bad.
You need to have a certain amount of showmanship to pull off that kind of reviewing, and Sage doesn't have this. He's got a good speaking voice and a good analytical mind [small]sorta[/small], but he doesn't have the personality or charisma to perform infront of the camera. Very few internet personalities actually do.

And yes, the "shocked reaction shot" is something that needs to die the fuck out already. It's the cheapest form of comedy imaginable.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
I pretty much only watch Phelous now and usually I just check his site rather than TGWTG. He does seem to have a lot more adds during his videos now, but he's the one that always reviews the kind of shitty horror movies that I watch for fun anyway. His show has actually introduced me to several fun shitty horror movies that I sought out and watched just because of his reviews.

Everyone else on the site bores me and I can't believe how overrated Spoony seems to be. When I first started his videos I thought they were pretty good, but the movie I watched the more I realized he was just trying to be shocking for the sake of saying shocking things and that his insights are all rather shallow, and his nitpicks are him reaching desperately for anything to talk about in his agonizingly long videos. Or at least that's the way it was before I stopped bothering to watch anything he did.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I agree with many of you:

Nostalgia Critic: Hit and Miss, but the "Hits" are really good

Nostalgia Chick: Long time sufferer of "Let's talk about what i learned in film school last week"...still does occasionaly good videos though. Awful as an actress, however..not that i have high standards regarding TGWTG, but good god...

Paw: "Music Movies" is pretty awesome and well made and pointed me towards some of my nowadays favorite musicals.

Oancitizen: Not that entertaining by himself, but "Brows held High" can oftentimes be very insightful when it comes to make sense out of overly obscure and joyless arthouse cinema.

Film Brain: He fails being entertaining or funny, but i like his opinions and how he points out how atrocious, rotten and shameful many of todays comedies really are. But yeah, his voice can be extremely grating.

Obscurus Lupa: I just don't care either way.

Phelous: VERY hit and miss, but makes some of the funniest and unique videos on the site.

Angry Joe: Too long, too ranty too much lame attempts at humor.

EDIT:
Cinema Snob: I HATE the show, but i watch Brad Jones' Midnight Screening Reviews religiously. He and his friends are consistently funny, although sometimes they seem to just spoil for the sake of spoilers.

Todd + Rap Critc: I don't care about most Pop/Hip-Hop/RnB Music, but i occasionally still find it interesting to hear semi-professional opinions about it.

Blockbuster Buster: Does a lot of Movies i enjoy being shat upon, but for me his videos always look and feel like a pale imitation that are too occupied with trying to be cool or whatever.

Linkara: He has some interesting material, but i find his attempts at doing storylines and such just embarrassing...

...that said, that pretty much counts for every reviewer how tries or tried that, especially when it comes to serious stuff. "To boldly flee" stands as a prime example as it took much of the fun out of what the anniversary stuff usually is.

And speaking of wich, i kinda miss all the little extra stuff we got with things like "Kickassia"...it was really fun to see the group interacting as friends and having fun and goofing around.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Anyone here watch Leon Thomas?
The guy is brilliant and I really really enjoy his works.
Also, I am still a huge NC fan and enjoy his works very much, I like that he now does less reviews and tries to make the reviews more entertaining, and I also enjoy his editorials, since Doug Walker is actually not a dumb guy and having him talk about entertainment related issues is informative.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
AC10 said:
The only one I liked was Spoony, but he's not with them anymore.
Cinema Snob is okay.

edit: I recall their site being ungodly to navigate, is that still the case?
Yeah it's still pretty shitty to navigate.

OT: The newer nostalgia critic episodes have been better I think, and I quite like sibling rivalry, but otherwise there's not really much there.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
Anyone here watch Leon Thomas?
The guy is brilliant and I really really enjoy his works.
Also, I am still a huge NC fan and enjoy his works very much, I like that he now does less reviews and tries to make the reviews more entertaining, and I also enjoy his editorials, since Doug Walker is actually not a dumb guy and having him talk about entertainment related issues is informative.
Indeed the editorials are actually very interesting to watch, much in the same way I enjoy watching editorials James Rolfe does occasionally.

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
Likes: My favourite is Phelous, with Cinema Snob a close second (don't like Brad's other stuff much though). Mike J is good too but doesn't seem to have his heart in it any more. Todd in the Shadows is brilliant and actually educational as well as funny, an internet rarity. Rap Critic is solid, although his hero-worship of Lupe fiasco is a bit grating. Lupa is okay. Maven of the Eventide is good, especially her 'From Dusk to Dawn' episode which was just a work of art. Nostalgia Chick is good IMO but some may find her a bit smug. Oancitizen can sometimes be very perceptive but I lost respect for him over the Sasha Grey incident. Another good little intellectual gem is Renegade Cut.

Dislikes: I used to watch Film Brain, but something awful has happened to his delivery - it was always bad (Jeremy Clarkson drawl with pubescent hiccups), but it has just got worse and worse to the point where I can't stand hearing it any more. I'm sure the content is good, but I can't hack that voice. Linkara just brays into the camera about lamps. Spoony seems to have lost interest in actually editing videos, and just talks at a fixed camera for two hours now.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
I don't use their site anymore. The only people I watch who are, or were part of the group are Spoony, Cinema Snob and Linkara, and I use their personnel websites for that. I used to watch to TGWTG, but when he stopped making them, and then started making them after a few weeks/months, it was so clear he was only doing it because he needed money, he wasn't doing it because he liked it anymore, I just stopped watching.

I don't know, I think the reason I use their personnel sites is because after the whole Spoony incident, where it kind of came out that a few of the people there had it out for one another, based on the things I read about it, I just went off the site. I wouldn't call myself a Spoony fanboy or anything, but he was the first reviewer I watched, and he introduced me to the site. When he went from the site, I kind of just drifted away from it as well.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Nostalgia Critic
Nostalgia Chick
Paw
MarzGurl
Nash
Cinema Snob (for Midnight Screenings and other non-snob stuff)
Y ruler of time
RolloT
Blockbuster Buster
That Sci-Fi Guy
Suede
CR

Spoony, and Angry Joe are also frequently watched by me but not on TGWTG.com