That loud BUUUUUNNGHHGH noise in movies

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I was wondering the name of the noise, or if anyone has insight on why it sees so much use. Seems to have just come around in the last few years. I hope you know the one I mean the World War Z trailer had alot of it.

I am guessing it is used to flood the senses and make whatever the scene is seem greater, hopefully someone here has more insight then myself.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Flutterguy said:
I am guessing it is used to flood the senses and make whatever the scene is seem greater, hopefully someone here has more insight then myself.
No that's about it.

It's a cheap way to make something feel epic. After all, why come up with new and interesting sound effects or a good musical score when you can just overload the senses.

Gravity was also filled with this shit.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Don't know if it has an iconic name like the wilhelm scream. It all started with the movie inception and I guess it just caught on, kinda like how most video game trailers have a dubstep background, people like to follow trends.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
The funny thing *BUUUUUNNGHHGH* is , all the movies which *BUUUUUNNGHHGH* are unanimously recommended to me by *BUUUUUNNGHHGH*friends and family*BUUUUUNNGHHGH* are overloaded with*BUUUUUNNGHHGH* it. Sadly I guess it is effective. *BUUUUUNNGHHGH*

There now my sentence seems more interesting and epic.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Do you mean the "Inception Foghorn"?

If yes, that's just one of the many elements Hollywood hacks are using in movie trailers these days.
Because Inception was REALLY popular, and a bit more cerebral than the average summer blockbuster, plus it had a memorable trailer.

Incidentally, such hack tropes makes it easier to see which movies producers actually give a fuck about, and which movies are just made as contractual cash-grabs. Hint: The latter are those that warrant the "generically epic" trailer style.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
I'll state tha it first began with the Inception movie, and I, for one, fucking love it. There is a website that has a button you can press multiple times to hear it.

Just found it: http://inception.davepedu.com/

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The truth is that there is actually no BUUUUUNNGGHHGGHH Sound in those movies. You are just going mental.

Yeah, it's Inception, and the purpose of it was that it was a note taken from a piece of classical music that was slowed way down, because that's what they thought it would sound like if you were hearing background music while asleep (especially with the whole time moving slower plotpoint)

Being successfully implemented, it has now been stolen and repeated in new situations which lack the original thought or intention, meaning it's pretty pointless and completely misses why the thing was interesting in the first place.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
It's tiresome and lazy. Do people have any idea just how magnificent a brass section can be when you actually decide to try and create something with it? Just listen to the recordings of the Lord Of The Rings films. Listen to the William Tell Overture. Listen to anything with a good brass section. What about the end of the theme tune to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Why can't they tryyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeee?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
You remind me of this from the Giant Bomb Cast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lat-XSRAmac

They pretty much predict the entire trailer. They're all so similar now. It's really annoying how it's nothing but "LOUD NOISE" Scene "LOUD NOISE" Different scene "LOUD NOISE" yet another scene... and so on and so on.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Barbas said:
It's tiresome and lazy. Do people have any idea just how magnificent a brass section can be when you actually decide to try and create something with it? Just listen to the recordings of the Lord Of The Rings films. Listen to the William Tell Overture. Listen to anything with a good brass section. What about the end of the theme tune to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?
Hey man if we are talking elder scrolls music, we're talking Nerevar Rising.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Do you mean the "Inception Foghorn"?

If yes, that's just one of the many elements Hollywood hacks are using in movie trailers these days.
Because Inception was REALLY popular, and a bit more cerebral than the average summer blockbuster, plus it had a memorable trailer.

Incidentally, such hack tropes makes it easier to see which movies producers actually give a fuck about, and which movies are just made as contractual cash-grabs. Hint: The latter are those that warrant the "generically epic" trailer style.
I'm pretty sure that's it, and there's one hack in particular who's responsible for it: Hans Zimmer. He's the reason most movie soundtracks these days consist of that foghorn playing over some noodly strings. He's got no formal musical training, or at least no classical training, and he runs a studio of other equally un-qualified composers who he farms out to movie studios. It's really sad.

I mean, if I say "dundundundundundundundunBRRRRRRTdundundundundundundundunBRRRRRRTdundundundundundundundun" most of you will recognize that as every movie soundtrack for the last few years.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm pretty sure that's it, and there's one hack in particular who's responsible for it: Hans Zimmer. He's the reason most movie soundtracks these days consist of that foghorn playing over some noodly strings. He's got no formal musical training, or at least no classical training, and he runs a studio of other equally un-qualified composers who he farms out to movie studios. It's really sad.

I mean, if I say "dundundundundundundundunBRRRRRRTdundundundundundundundunBRRRRRRTdundundundundundundundun" most of you will recognize that as every movie soundtrack for the last few years.
Boo. The Thin Red Line score was one of the best in recent years. I'll fight you for these fighting words!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

Boo. The Thin Red Line score was one of the best in recent years. I'll fight you for these fighting words!
He doesn't even write his own music! He hums it and has someone else write it down for him, because he doesn't know how! He might be good if he weren't too lazy to learn how to do his own job! :p

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
He doesn't even write his own music! He hums it and has someone else write it down for him, because he doesn't know how! He might be good if he weren't too lazy to learn how to do his own job! :p
I hope that's true. It's kind of awesomely ridiculous.

I admit I like his score. I say his score because the major beats in it have been repeated in multiple films now. "Journey to the Line" and "Time" are VERRRRRRY similar.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I hope that's true. It's kind of awesomely ridiculous.

I admit I like his score. I say his score because the major beats in it have been repeated in multiple films now. "Journey to the Line" and "Time" are VERRRRRRY similar.
I don't know if that anecdote is really true (I saw it on a comments section somewhere, so it's not exactly a good source), but he really doesn't have any formal training. He was in some pop group in the 80's and eventually made his way into the film industry. I think his actual workflow is probably more like "programs synthesiszer. If actual instruments needed, get someone who knows how to work with real instruments to transcribe it." Which is still pretty ridiculous considering that, you know, writing and transcribing music is his job.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I don't know if that anecdote is really true (I saw it on a comments section somewhere, so it's not exactly a good source), but he really doesn't have any formal training. He was in some pop group in the 80's and eventually made his way into the film industry. I think his actual workflow is probably more like "programs synthesiszer. If actual instruments needed, get someone who knows how to work with real instruments to transcribe it." Which is still pretty ridiculous considering that, you know, writing and transcribing music is his job.
It's funny, but in all honesty if I could ham-hand my way into a million dollar career and multiple prestigious awards I do it, and I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

I'm a sucker for a sad score though. I also like Clint Mansell.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:

Ahh, so it is Zimmer...
Pity, I really liked his work on the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks. Particularly "The Kraken" theme in Yar 2.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It's funny, but in all honesty if I could ham-hand my way into a million dollar career and multiple prestigious awards I do it, and I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

I'm a sucker for a sad score though. I also like Clint Mansell.
The sad score is what sent me over the edge in To the Moon.

I'm just one of those people that gets hit by really moving music.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I thought this was about that weird sound you hear after something dramatic happens and the scene changes to something more calm. Anybody know whats with that weird Braaaraaaaaa sound you hear in the background during those scene changes?

Also I'm noticing it a lot too and it's gotten old really fast.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Yeah, obviously it's called the Inception Foghorn by the internet, seeing as it started there. It's annoying as shit though in my opinion.