That One Boss.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Cortex in Crash 1.
haven't played it in years, but i STILL haven't beat him.
(cue flame war about how much i suck :p )

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Hardest boss would probably have to be the Boost Guardian on Hard (Metroid Prime 2, not the Trilogy), think I died over 10 times then finally managed to beat him, the randomness of his pattern and the ridiculous damage he put out made him harder than the Emperor Ing and Dark Samus combined xD

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Some of the bosses in Demon's Souls. Fuck the Maneaters and Flamelurker is all I'm gonna say. I still don't remember how I ever got past them, but I vividly remember the parts afterward. (The Old Monk boss and the Dragon God)

I was afraid the Gargoyle fight in Dark Souls would be like the Maneaters, but it was much more fair.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Metroid Prime two. The Boost guardian. The only boss that seriously made me consider breaking things over a game. And when I finally beat the damn thing, it wasn't skill. It was complete luck.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
General RAAM, Gears of War 1. I managed the entire campaign on Insane difficulty, ALONE. Was feeling really good about myself; made it through choke point after choke point, became one with the game. Got all the way to the very last boss, RAAM... and could NOT beat him. YouTube vids, wikis, forums, hints, strategy guides, none of them helped. At one of the the lowest points in my life, I had to ask a friend to co-op with me, just that very LAST fight, to finish the game. I still have that pre-RAAM save and about once every 6 months or so, I pop it back in and try to beat RAAM alone so I can said I did it... but I still can't.

Oh, and juggernauts from the Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops co-op campaign, the airplane graveyard level more specifically. Man, that timpani sounding off announcing a juggernaut had hit the scene sent waves of panic through us every time.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
FFX. Mt. Gagazet. Seymour Flux.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
During the early access to Guild Wars: Eye of the North, in one of the snow areas there was this rabit going into this cave. There were no enemies on the map in the cave so it seen innocent enough to follow. Once you're inside the cave you see this tree inside the cave with an open ceiling. Then suddently all the monsters spawn out and surround. You will died for sure due to there were too many to handle.
Once full game is out we know that it's a proper boss so there not guides to aggro some of the monsters before killing the boss itself.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Some of the bosses in Demon's Souls. Fuck the Maneaters and Flamelurker is all I'm gonna say. I still don't remember how I ever got past them, but I vividly remember the parts afterward. (The Old Monk boss and the Dragon God)
For me Flamelurker was by far the worst. He's manageable until he goes berserk. Then he's a nightmare. Usually I fight him by just hiding behind pillars and firing homing soul arrows.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Xprimentyl said:
General RAAM, Gears of War 1. I managed the entire campaign on Insane difficulty, ALONE. Was feeling really good about myself; made it through choke point after choke point, became one with the game. Got all the way to the very last boss, RAAM... and could NOT beat him. YouTube vids, wikis, forums, hints, strategy guides, none of them helped. At one of the the lowest points in my life, I had to ask a friend to co-op with me, just that very LAST fight, to finish the game. I still have that pre-RAAM save and about once every 6 months or so, I pop it back in and try to beat RAAM alone so I can said I did it... but I still can't.

Oh, and juggernauts from the Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops co-op campaign, the airplane graveyard level more specifically. Man, that timpani sounding off announcing a juggernaut had hit the scene sent waves of panic through us every time.
Yes. Raam. The most badass boss currently existing in my game collection.

On Insanity he took me soo many tries. Suffice it to say, I was at it for hours. Final attempt had me down to my Sniper rifle, hiding behind a two foot bock, he's on the other side, his kryll are all over the place so I can't move away, he's coming around the left side. Resigning myself to another failure, I blindfire with the sniper rifle. Screen flashes. 'Dead again' I think, but then the flash fades into a cutscene of Raam ragdolling onto the floor. Boo yah.

This was during University and I was racing my friend to see who would kill him first. This is around 3am but I still whip out my phone and text up 3 floors with a simple message:

Got the c**t!

Granted my friend did absolutely destroy me when we were both going for Mile High Club, but y'know:

Doesn't matter, killed Raam.

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
Death from Shin Megami Tensei 4. That guy took me so many tries on Normal, let alone hard. Hard...was just too hard. The rest of the game was so easy. Not Death. Death just kicked my ass all over the place. As did that girl in the velvet room. *shudder*

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
DJDarque said:
I played Ragnarok Online for a short while a few years ago. I played on the free server and random bosses that were impossible for even a mid level player to kill showed up quite often.
RO has a really bad habit, on any server I've played on, of dropping MVPs right on top of you mid-field. The number of times I've been owned by the Lord of Death in Niflheim from out of NOWHERE... This is at 250/70 (max on my current server) too.

OT: For the life of me, I don't know the thing's name. But if you've ever played Bullet Witch, it's the thing you have to fight while standing ON the airplane. (Not in the plane, on the plane.) The giant sky wyrm thing. I don't know if it's that the boss itself is hard so much as it's very easy to fall off the plane, but I generally stop playing that game after the third level.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Kermi said:
FFX. Mt. Gagazet. Seymour Flux.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I forgot the locations, but I think that was the same version that nearly made me chew through my controller. Every other form after seems easy by comparison, then again about halfway through you get the "free win" Aion: Yojimbo.

Unrelated: ...am I seeing a stream monster? Table flipping action?

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Kingdom Hearts - Olympus Coliseum - Ice Titan & Sephiroth
That and RAAM on the hardest difficulty - I could never find a good enough second player to help me out.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Hard bosses... well, the ones in Deus Ex: Human Revolution fit this to a T as they kicked my arse multiple times on Normal difficulty.

Iji has Komato Sentinel Proxima if you're going for the Supercharge (kill without using the electric things). It took me several tries.

Cave Story... ugh. Monster X still gives me nightmares.

Rasmus Emilsson

Jun 22, 2010
Ninja Gaiden, before hurricane packs and stuff. First time playing and the first level is quite a breeze, not to say that i didn't die, but not too many times. Walk through the last door and BAM, Murai stomps your hiney so far into space you can't even see it anymore.

I was mad...

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
In Xenogears there was a sub boss late in the game I couldn't beat. I don't remember anything about it, just that it wasn't the final boss and I couldn't beat it, and I never did, and I never finished Xenogears and that's sad.

And and and....just right now I've decided I want to try playing Xenogears again. We'll see if that actually happens. I've been itching to get into a JRPG lately, but nothing on my shelf has inspired me quite enough. I just never considered a PS1 game.

MagicBullet

Oct 20, 2010
For me, 'That One Boss' was the first boss in FFVIII. Not Ifrit, not Biggs&Wedge - Elvoret, and this bastard takes the prize because he (she? it?) forever scarred my younger psyche. Elvoret wasn't even hard, just totally unexpected. I was breezing through the opening sequence of the game, loving the feel and the (then) beautiful CG sequences - then the counter-attack at Dollet, rolling through Galbadian toughs like Anakin through Younglings (alternately, fields of sunflowers), then...Boss Fight! Not even a hard boss fight. Easy win, Squall Scowls, Selphie doing her brainless blonde bimbo routine for whatever reason... "Oh, sorry player, did I say Boss Fight? I meant BOSS FIGHT!"

Bastard pulpified me in 9 turns.

To this day, that one bit of game, that one stupidly easy boss fight, leaves me filled with trepidation.

Though for sheer "F-YOU" by game designers, I nominate the old gem Freespace 2. This one mission, you fly around in a skimpy little interceptor babysitting bombers. And then A SATAN CLASS JUGGERNAUGHT WARPS OUT OF HYPERSPACE. ON TOP OF YOU. WITH HIS FRIENDS.

Now for those of you who were never blessed with playing this classic, a Sathanas class Juggernaught is roughly the size of a small city, made out of hate, evil and alien space metal. Conversely, the human interceptor is little more than a really fast night-gown with lasers.

I won that mission by hiding under the Juggernaught's wings where a) it couldn't shoot me, and b) the stupidly big support fleet it brought along with it couldn't shoot me.

The one time in my gaming experience when being a craven coward was a good thing.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
RejjeN said:
Hardest boss would probably have to be the Boost Guardian on Hard (Metroid Prime 2, not the Trilogy), think I died over 10 times then finally managed to beat him, the randomness of his pattern and the ridiculous damage he put out made him harder than the Emperor Ing and Dark Samus combined xD
THIS. I'm glad someone got to this before I did. I'd hate to have to fight the Boost Guardian in the Trilogy version...lock-on free-aim and this bugger? *shudders*

zeroclank12

Oct 6, 2011
When I picked up Spiderman: Shattered Demensions, I couldn't find out how to kill Hammerhead in the close combat mode. It took me forever to figure out you have to do nothing.