That one genre you will always HATE

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Sports games, I've never liked the idea of watching sports, and being able to control the action still has no appeal. I like playing sports in real life, but I could never understand the fun factor of the yearly sports titles. I will say I had some fun with Wii Sports because you actually physically do something, but other than that, the sports genre holds no interest for me.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
MOBAs, since they are entirely devoid of fun and liked by people with Stockholm Syndrome. Some others include MMOs, sports games, and JRPGs.

Tsukikagenoknight

Jan 3, 2011
Racers because there are only so good you can get at holding down one button then occasionally holing down a second so you don't hit a wall.

Otherwise the Circus Genre can really bite it....i sucked at it (Charlie's Circus for the NES, look it up)

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
DanielBrown said:
Is anime styled JRPGs a form of genre? 'cos that's the one type of game I absolutely cannot stand. RPGs are by far my favorite genre, but as soon as I see the cutesy envieroments/enemies/characters and the odd battle systems they usually have I lose all intrest.
What about this? I myself love jrpgs of all kinds. This Tales game looks a bit more adult than previous and man it looks awesome.

<youtube=6g1IxPd8Uek>

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
Kailow Krow said:
Sports games because real life is better.
This. If I want to play some sports, I'll call up some of my friends and coworkers and we can play. pretty easy since most of us like basketball in one form or another.
Racing games also annoy me to no end.
I don't hate MMORPGs, but I do have a bunch of trouble getting into them.
I haven't really found a MOBA that I really find fun. Played LoL during the beta, got bored with it. Tried again about 6 months ago, still found it boring. Probably in large part due to the fact that I prefer playing with friends, and most of my friends are either A) not interested in MOBAs, or B) not fun to play competitive games with.
Most simulation games (Except for flight sims if done well) annoy me.

Captcha: Loaf of bread
No thanks, captcha, already did my grocery shopping this week.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Sports game. I've never understood the obsession with it in reality and I understand it even less in games. I mean, with sports in reality at least you're getting exercise, even if the money spent on them globally in a professional sense is frankly mortifying (imagine if we spent a year using that funding for, say, medicine). Not helping is the fact that many sports games are basically the same as last years, with a slightly updated graphic set perhaps and new roster. Unbelievable.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
There isn't a genre I hate, I either play them or I do not play them. I could probably hate them if I was forced to play them and couldn't play the genres I like, otherwise why hate something that doesn't affect me much?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
The FPS genre holds no special place in my heart to be honest. Is because I suck at them, no it's because I just can't enjoy them. Mainly because I'm the kind of person that loves stories in his games and I love a wide open area. There are a few exceptions to me not liking the FPS genre, but overall I don't like FPS games, mainly military shooters.
It's looking like a lot of the FPS's we've seen for next gen (KIllzone: Shadow Fall, for example) are gonna have much more wide, open areas with more freedom in how you tackle problems, which is only a good thing, the genre has been stuck in corridors too long!

OT: Hmmm. Well I generally find simulators hard to get into but thats too broad... I guess I'm not big on racing games, and not very good at fighting games and thus dont enjoy them often, but there's no genre that I have absolute hatred for.

No interest in MOBA's or MMO's though.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
The more I think about it the more I realise that I am actually very very picky indeed.

Fighting Games; occasionally a passable distraction on split-screen, but to play solo, not a chance

Sports Games; once again, occasionally ok on splitscreen. My main issue with the genre is the people who play them; simply the most horrible communities in the gaming world, in game and in real life.

Racing Games; I just find them dull. The exception in combat-racers like Mario-Kart or Jak X, however I consider these to be a different genre.

MMORPGS; abhorrent communities, bland, grindy gameplay

MOBAs; abhorrent communities, overly long games and unegaging gameplay

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:
mbarker said:
Sports games, I'll die before I'm forced to play modern foot ball, basket ball, base ball, soccer, and even racing games. the press X to win interactive movies are just as bad.
YES!! hell YES!!!!, ANOTHER 2 Soccer games for Christ sake make a REAL game. EA stop wasting your time with sports games and put more money into Bioware
Yeah stick some more money into Bioware that they can continue to waste on shitty games and shitty endings. EA put their money where it counts, and people pay for sports games, they are basically always top sellers, especially Fifa. And they ARE real games, whether you like them or not.

Fucking elitists on this site with their "hur dur sports suck!"

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Mech-related games.

I am not a fan of giant robots, having them as vehicles for humanoid players is fine but I don't like the idea of being exclusively a giant robot, I wish I did like them because I know some of them are good but I don't want to spend an entire game in a giant humanoid robot suit, I would rather play a human in a human suit.

Captcha: narrow-minded

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
JRPGs. Turn based combat means it's mostly luck and stats as opposed to skill. The character archetypes are annoying; it's always a damn child/childish-looking protagonist because "transition from innocence" and all that. There's at least five incarnations of the final villain, and the last one is always some giant incarnation of "Evil" or something. There's not one single JRPG I've enjoyed.

Jun 20, 2013
I don't really *hate* any one genre. I can usually bring myself to get some enjoyment out of every type of game.

I don't really care for a lot of elements of modern game design though, health regen, 2 weapons, hand holding, absolute avoidance of any trial and error. That kind of crap.

FunnyBunny

Jun 24, 2013
RTS. Strategy is meant to be able to sit back and think it over. Have a coffee. Or shower. Or sex and/in shower. Lol.

Real strategy is for spider-like types of personalities, patient, plotting, devious.

RTS - an insult to call it strategy at all - is like badminton compared to chess. Lol. And yes, it's very satisfying to reload and kick some Mongol horde ass in Europa Universalis, if things go wrong. :)

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Rape Sims

Because they give video games a bad image for those who don't know any better about how anything else has some ridiculous and bad application as long as there's people willing to do it.

Click-flicks

Because they spread an idea of video-games being lesser forms of entertainment and try to seek external approval as if the media needs that.

It's like that mother that makes awful food for their kids just so she can save the good stuff for when her pseudo-friends come over, or that teenager with self-image issues and so eager to not be seen as childish that keeps on doing the childish-est thing to do: care too much about what others think of him/her.