That one genre you will always HATE

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I would say Military Shooters, but as I've never actually played one I can't really say that. So I don't really hate Military Shooters in and of themselves, what I hate is the over saturation of them. That and the fact that publishers feel that every OTHER genre needs to be turned into a Modern Military Shooter. What's next? Call of Tetris: Modern Blockware?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I usually find some games in a genre that I like, but there are two exceptions:

JRPG's. I despise this genre with the fury of a thousand supernovas. The drama, the angst, the annoying characters, the visual design, the gameplay, there is NOTHING redeeming about this genre. The fact that my wife loves them only makes it more annoying.

MOBA. Tried them. Once. Hate it.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
RTS. When a strategy game can be won simply on who has the better mouse and keyboard, then it just seems like something is wrong. Strategy is about outthinking your opponent, not buying better equipment so you can perform your moves 0.5 seconds faster on average. Not to mention, the games tend to go one of three ways: 1). You get dominated so bad you have no hope of figuring out how to improve, 2). Even match that comes down to who has the better equipment, and 3). You dominate so much that you can just stare at the screen glaze-eyed in absolute boredom.

Tower Defense Hybrids. I don't mind regular tower defense games where you overlook your base and set out units to defend it, but all of these tower defense games that try to infuse elements from the FPS, action-adventure, and/or RPG genres are just awful in my opinion. The mechanics from the other genres generally aren't that good, and it very often goes into either the "unfairly difficult unless you play co-op" or "so easy you can pound your face into the keyboard and still win" camps.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Any genre which gratuitously abandons single player in favour of competitive (or, in many cases, co-op) multiplayer. MMOs, MOBAs, 99% of FPSs... I'm a solitary gamer at heart. I like my games to have a worthwhile single player experience. Those are three genres that have actively shunned that idea in favour of having all content and worth generated by their online communities, which a) doesn't appeal and b) are usually toxic sputum. Don't get me wrong, I've loved FPSs in the past, but most of them now have little to no interest in single player storytelling. RTSs are just about on the right side of the line for now.

I'm okay with sports games, although I concede that they could perfectly scale down to alternating each year between actual new developmental progress and a roster-updating expansion pack (if it wasn't for the fact that they currently print money).

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
The closest to hate would be sports games. I love sports IRL and it sucks to be limited by the game engine.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Generic response, but... modern military and co-operative shooters.

I've played more than my fair share of both, and I find them intensely boring these days, bordering on frothing hatred. MMS because there is little to no skill involved, plotlines tend to be dull and barely distinguishable from one another; co-op because why fight predictable AI in multiplayer when you can fight much more interesting human opponents? It becomes even more grating for shooters for some reason, I'm ok with co-op in other genres but I just don't get the point in most shooters except something like the original Ghost Recon.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Severian said:
DanielBrown said:
Is anime styled JRPGs a form of genre? 'cos that's the one type of game I absolutely cannot stand. RPGs are by far my favorite genre, but as soon as I see the cutesy envieroments/enemies/characters and the odd battle systems they usually have I lose all intrest.
What about this? I myself love jrpgs of all kinds. This Tales game looks a bit more adult than previous and man it looks awesome.

<youtube=6g1IxPd8Uek>
Looks decent. Not something I'd buy at release, but possibly once it drops.
Slightly annoyed by the faces showing up on the top left corner during the combat though. :p

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Severian said:
DanielBrown said:
Is anime styled JRPGs a form of genre? 'cos that's the one type of game I absolutely cannot stand. RPGs are by far my favorite genre, but as soon as I see the cutesy envieroments/enemies/characters and the odd battle systems they usually have I lose all intrest.
What about this? I myself love jrpgs of all kinds. This Tales game looks a bit more adult than previous and man it looks awesome.

<youtube=6g1IxPd8Uek>
Looks decent. Not something I'd buy at release, but possibly once it drops.
Slightly annoyed by the faces showing up on the top left corner during the combat though. :p
Try a Megaten title as well. SMT4 comes out next month. Barely anything cutesy in there. Mostly dark as hell.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
DotAs or MOBAs or whatever the hell they are called.
They all have a stupidly high skill cap and over convoluted item systems that discourages new players, then when a 'newb' starts to play they get a metric fuck tonne of abuse shouted at them because they don't know everything about the game the first time they play it.

Awesomenauts is the main exception to this as it's a highly approachable but a rather skill focused game.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Sports games -- will be guarenteed to cause rage
Music -- I just freaking hate the music choice. And I suck at it
RTSs and MOBAs -- cannot get my head around them, will always be outclassed at a game genre I don't enjoy doing
Simulations -- for the same reasons everyone doesn't like them
Turn-based games -- all the goodness of an RPG with no gameplay!

Johanthemonster666 said:
future release Rage, but without any of the gimmicks.
And destructible environments aren't a really cool gimmick that RAGE didn't have? :(

Hambers

Jan 25, 2012
Fighting games.

Frankly I suck at them and have avoided them for so long that if you were to sit me in front of the most awesome looking game imaginable and tell me I needed to input a string 20 button presses or just mash the pad to progress I'd look you dead in the eyes and throw that S.O.B out the window.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
There isn't a genre I outright hate. More like there are genres I haven't tried but don't feel a strong desire to, like RTS games, or genres that haven't struck much of a chord with me, like racing and fighting games. I don't see any reason to write off entire segments of video games because yes, even the dreaded military shooter has its gems. If it looks fun and interesting, I'll give it the chance to impress me regardless of classification.

I can't help but feel a general distaste towards sports games though, mostly because "Ew, sports."