That one genre you will always love.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
I'm relatively certain every gamer has that one genre that we all love, no matter what. No matter how many lackluster titles come out we will always come back because of fun memories and past games.

Personally, my genre is point and click horror games. A lot of them are really bad, but I can't help it. There's something about them that just gets me all nostalgic and happy. Even games like Phantasmagoria and Dark Seed make me happy. So what about you guys?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Story driven RPGs, I LOVE games which immerse you in a rich story and yes I liked Mass effect and didn't even hate its ending that much

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Probably musical rhythm games. Frquency, Parappa, Guitar Hero and Rock Band are some of my favorite games.

Second to that would probably be open world RPG's.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Story/character focused RPGs or maybe open world RPGs. Fuck it, RPGs. I have never gotten as much enjoyment out of any other genre that I have out of rpgs(Well there was WC3 but that never repeated itself).

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
I guess mine would have to be 2D platformers, the more traps and pitfalls the better. Even with all the shooters, RPGs, and anything else I can play I will always come back to some platform action.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
My bread and butter genres are fighting and RPG. I enjoy the depth of gameplay fighting games provide, and I enjoy the depth of story and wealth of content RPGs provide. Unless things get really bad, these genres will remain as my favourites.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
RPGs for me. Not really picky on what kind: JRPG, Western, Action, if it's an RPG count me in!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I guess maybe platformers? I grew up on Sonic the Hedgehog and Banjo-Kazooie, so... shooters have a soft place in my heart too, after all the hours I put into Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II when I was younger.

It doesn't really preclude me getting bored of mediocre ones or frustrated with bad ones, though. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from playing pretty much all of the Sonic games except the Wii 'storybook' titles...

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
While RPG's would usually be my natural answer, I think I will say Roguelikes. I didn't grow up with them, but with the newish recent boom of roguelike games, I have fallen in love with the style. It is almost everything I want in a game, except for a interesting story in most cases.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Metroidvania style platformers. The more opportunities for exploration and puzzle solving, the better.

Speaking of which, I just picked up La Mulana. I've only played for seventy minutes, and I can already tell that I'm in heaven.

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
2D and 3D platformers, my favorites are
Abe's oddysee-exodus
Crash Bandicoot series
Super Mario series
Sonic adventure 1-2
Klonoa
Banjo Kazooie
Croc
Jack and Daxter
and many many others :p

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mudokon said:
2D and 3D platformers, my favorites are
Abe's oddysee-exodus
Crash Bandicoot series
Super Mario series
Sonic adventure 1-2
Klonoa
Banjo Kazooie
Croc
Jack and Daxter
and many many others :p
Not only did you take my answer, but you managed to list almost every game I was going to list.
Bravo good sir, bravo.

Only thing to add to the list above from me are all Sonic games and the Ape Escape games.

Edit: Oh, and the Ratchet and Clank and old Spyro games, can't forget those gems (All 4 One, Full Frontal Assualt, Spyros after Year of the Dragon notwithstanding)

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
RPGs, especially those that let me define my character's personality, and turn based strategy. Whether 4x or FFT and XCom style tactical, I absolutely love those games. The graphics and narrative in those games are a bonus. Hell, give me job classes to play with and squad depth to develop, and you can render the whole thing in atari level graphics and have the whole story be "The Dick Empire are being dicks. Stab them!" and I'll be perfectly happy. Too bad they seem to be dying off. At least, I haven't heard of very many coming out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm torn between good old fashioned, fixed camera angle, limited inventory, shiny hidden item survival horror, and classy turn-based medieval-ish RPGs. Gimme either genre and I'll feel right at home. Everything else I feel like I'm eloping.

Nocenious

Dec 4, 2011
I would say I would love the RPG genre. Usually has many hours of story and exploration. On games like the Elder Scrolls or the new Bethesda Fallout games, I have sunk possibly hundreds of hours on them (both modded or vanilla copies). Something about being able to go where-ever and whenever I want, and how I want has always been a big boon. Or a focused RPG game like the Tales series. Tales of Abyss is probably my favorite one.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
JRPGs. Especially ones with really good story and game mechanics like the Shin Megami Tensei series and Kingdom Hearts and obviously Pokemon (although the spin-off titles like Mystery Dungeon have more of a deep narrative than the main games).

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
usually cant go wrong with the action/adventure...... uncharted/tomb raider/last of us, that old A to point B story driven adventure.

second world be open world RPG'S for obvoise reasons, exploring,questing, building my character.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
xshadowscreamx said:
usually cant go wrong with the action/adventure...... uncharted/tomb raider/last of us, that old A to point B story driven adventure.

but my fav would be open world RPG'S for obvoise reasons, exploring,questing, building my character.