That Was Fun, But Never Again!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Anyone wanna list what games they loved playing the first time round but could not see themselves playing ever again, and for what reason?

For me: Deadly Premonition. The story was pretty good (albeit short, and the killer pretty obvious) and the battles were funny to begin with. However, the long driving sequences, and constantly fighting the same enemy for hours on end is something I could not go through again. The game took me about 16 hours to complete, with at least half of it filler.

Ico is another. A great experience the first time through, but every time I've tried to go through it again, I've felt there's no point. I always remember the puzzles, and there isn't enough variety to play things any differently. No extra features either.

So what makes your list?

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Lost Odyssey. I loved it, one of the last true great JRPG's and everything that recent FF's were not and should have been.

But the finale and payoff were too disappointing for me to ever play through it again.

Also, I've also found those "thousand years of dreams"-bits to be overrated. They're nice, sure, I wouldn't get rid of them. But their writing I actually find kind of awkward.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Terramax said:
For me: Deadly Premonition. The story was pretty good (albeit short, and the killer pretty obvious) and the battles were funny to begin with. However, the long driving sequences, and constantly fighting the same enemy for hours on end is something I could not go through again. The game took me about 16 hours to complete, with at least half of it filler.
So what makes your list?
Oh God, I'm only on the second chapter and the longevity is setting in very quickly. I think this will be one of the few games where I'm one and done.
Kickass and sometimes unfitting music though.

OT: Gray Matter, reasonably good game with the worst controls I've had in a long time. Just...no. Never again.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Every hacky/slashy games that i play . From bayonnetta to god of war and Devil May cry .

Also Wrpgs . I love jrpgs to death but when it comes to wrpgs i cannot be bothered with more than one playthrough .even when i really like the game , like DA:O i just can't bring myself to do it again .

Funily i can play throught every final fantasy over and over and never get bored . Except X-2 and XIII-2 , those can die in fire .

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Persona 3 FES, simply because the damn party AI is awful. Yukari would never heal me when I really needed her to. Why would I sit through that crap when I could just boot up Persona 4 (AKA baist gaem evar!!1) instead?

Also some specific sets of matches against the same guy in UMVC3 online I would just leave after a particularly epic battle. My Vergil vs his Dante, last characters no X-Factor, equal skill... Lost due to a whiffed Stinger (as always) I wouldn't have it any other way.

Somehow the awesomeness of an amazing fight gets undermined when one of you gets destroyed next game.

And this particular guy a few days ago wiped out my first two characters with hardly any damage taken, taunts before Vergil comes in (like a dick). I got pissed, destroyed him on principle, taunted on the win and left him feeling damn salty. Rage is a hell of a buff

So that's kinda a vengeance "never again" thing XD

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can't see myself ever playing Dragon Age 2 again. It's good considering the short as hell development cycle, but I felt the only things it improved were skill trees and graphics.

I also can't see me replaying FF13-2 at any point. I actually *loved* the game, but I got my Platinum trophy and pretty much 100%'d it. I don't replay many JRPGs, though, honestly.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I will hardly ever play through a game again as once is enough unless the mechanics require/imply it; score attack games, for example.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Condemned 2: Bloodshot is pretty much a one-only game, mainly with how silly things get in the 3rd act. However, I DO enjoy playing the first half of the lake house level over and over again for my friends who have not seen it. It's pretty good actually.

I second Lost Odyssey. The game's difficulty curve ramps up into the ridiculous on the fourth disc, no way am I ever slugging through that again.

I'm playing through Alpha Protocol again, and holy crap is that game frustratingly difficult. It's mostly fake difficulty, though, since bosses are more than likely to simply spam ludicrously-powerful attacks at you while guards stun-lock you in place.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Mass Effect 3. I tried really hard to start a second playthrough, but I just can't bring myself. I replayed Mass Effect 1 and 2 dozens of times, but I can't even drag myself to have another go. It's a shame, since I was enjoying the game so much prior to the last 10 minutes.

IMGF

Mar 15, 2012
Amnesia. I played through it, and I loved it to death, but I just can't see myself playing it again. The game is really good throughout, but it drags so slowly at times and I can't imagine having the same sort of feelings playing through it again as I did the first time.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Portal/Portal 2.
I LOVE these games, and I have indeed replayed them both, but said replays I didn't particularly enjoy since the game has no challenge at all once you know the puzzles when compared to say a shooter that will have challenging sections despite what you know about them.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Popadoo said:
Portal/Portal 2.
I LOVE these games, and I have indeed replayed them both, but said replays I didn't particularly enjoy since the game has no challenge at all once you know the puzzles when compared to say a shooter that will have challenging sections despite what you know about them.
Yeah. I do find that Portal 1 actually has *some* replay value, though, due to the shorter length.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
The Rock Band 3 Endless Setlist. Something like 84(ish) songs in a row without stopping.

It took my friend and I like 8 hours to finish. It was fun once, but I'll never even consider doing it again....at least with any less than 3 people.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Amnesia. It was alright. Had its moments. Probably would have scared me had I not watched Toby Turner's Let's Play of it first.

Though I will watch friends play it. Their reactions are priceless.

The Condemned games are pretty much the same. And Silent Hill. Come to think of it, a lot of the good horror games are one-and-done games, simply because the horror is kind of gone. Silent Hill 2 didn't scare me the second time because I knew what was behind me going "abloogy woogy woo". Good for a first playthrough definitely, but not much replay value for me (and I love horror).

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
VaudevillianVeteran said:
Oh God, I'm only on the second chapter and the longevity is setting in very quickly. I think this will be one of the few games where I'm one and done.
Yeah, the playthrough is worth it though.

Let me know what you think of the ending when you get to it. I'd like to hear someone else's opinion of it.

OT: Gray Matter, reasonably good game with the worst controls I've had in a long time. Just...no. Never again.
I downloaded the xbox trailer and indeed playing it was terrible. I hope it plays better on pc.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Just here because of the thread title. Let me elaborate on that: "That was fun but never again?" That's what SHE said!

Oh, also,
Squidbulb said:
Too long and too hard.
that's what she said.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Just finished Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Probably that.

Not as good as Uncharted 2 but much better than U1.

I might go back to find all of the treasures and snapshots, I don't know.