That Was Half-Life 2?

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
People like to pretend Half-Life is some perfect series Valve blessed us mortals with. In reality, Half-Life 2 is simply a cool story with gameplay that was great at the time and is simply okay now. Nothing incredible or amazing, despite how fervently the fans froth at the mouth to tell you otherwise.

It's partly due to it being 'in' to like Valve and to think Half-Life (namely the second) is amazing, and also because it was one of the first to blend the FPS with actual story telling fairly well. Nowhere near the best, but hey, nostalgia makes fanboys of people pretty easily. Oh, and Yahtzee likes Half-Life 2, so, you know, sheeple and stuff.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
I didn't have any problems with it. It made sense thematically. Gordon never had any control to begin with. He is (or was at this stage) G-Man's pawn.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
It was made by Valve that is why. I am fairly certain Gabe Newell could break into most Valve fans houses steal all their stuff and they would thank him for it.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
People like to pretend Half-Life is some perfect series Valve blessed us mortals with. In reality, Half-Life 2 is simply a cool story with gameplay that was great at the time and is simply okay now. Nothing incredible or amazing, despite how fervently the fans froth at the mouth to tell you otherwise.
Out of interest, what single player FPS has done better in recent years?

It's partly due to it being 'in' to like Valve and to think Half-Life (namely the second) is amazing, and also because it was one of the first to blend the FPS with actual story telling fairly well. Nowhere near the best, but hey, nostalgia makes fanboys of people pretty easily. Oh, and Yahtzee likes Half-Life 2, so, you know, sheeple and stuff.
I think it's hipster to hate on Valve these days, put down their games and the like as it's very much anti-establishment, etc. I do think some people take Yahtzee's comedic exaggerations far too seriously but I can't see any evidence of what you're talking about here, can you?

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
First game to come to mind? Crysis. A million times better, in my mind.
Honestly? What things did Crysis do better than Half Life 2, aside from the obvious high-end graphics department?

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Half Life 2 had bad endings before it was cool to have bad endings. (Mass Effect 3)

Joking aside, I didn't find the ending too bad as I had the Orange box so I played 2, ep1 and ep 2 pretty much consecutively. I also don't really mind a cliffhanger style ending when I'm pretty sure that I'll eventually get to find out what happens, but at the moment that's not very likely to happen.

Professor Putricide

Nov 15, 2009
In retrospect, the ending was kinda meh, considering the lack of anything after. But as stated, Valve did get the first episode out shortly after. I rage more about the ending of Episode 2, but that's more because there' isn't an Episode 3. (Bah)

But even with that said, I really did like the HL2 ending in it's on way. Although I'm probably bias since I consider the G-Man to be one of the most interesting and amazing characters in gaming and seeing him end the game was pretty neat and without spoiling anything, his future appearances and 'heart to heart' meetings defiantly leave you wanting to know more about him.

Episode 3 can't come soon enough. And lord knows I'll be screaming out of joy IF they ever announce it.

Cymen

Apr 3, 2010
Can't wait to hear the OP's opinion after he played the Episodes >:3
Maybe he will finally understand why people want Ep3 so badly.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
The Ending: It was released in a simpler time when we didn't expect decent endings.

Okay, we did expect completely non-sucky endings and there was much gnashing of teeth about the non-ending when it was released, but it was never seen to have completely undermined the experience. Since then, the game has continued on, so it's really not worth mentioning anymore.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
IMO it was very similar to the ending of Half Life 1 (and Opposing Force) so I guess the fans expected it. I know I wasn't shocked when I first played it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I thought HL2 was boring and the story made barely any sense. I completely lost track of what was going on around the "highway" section of it, then it just became another futuristic FPS with a decent coat of paint. The only thing I liked from it (back in the day) was the source engine, so new and fresh at the time.

Now excuse me while I brace for the innevitable valve fans "inbox of hate charge".

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/fireoa.jpg/]

drobear

Apr 24, 2011
nano-suit be damned give me a mark V hazardous enviroment suit and a crowbar and im set for life

Leninv3l

Jan 4, 2012
The ending was pretty similar to the ending of Half Life, so it didn't anger me that much because it kept making me wonder what g-man's motives exactly were. I couldn't wait for the next sequel to elaborate, but, two episodes later i'm still kind of wondering what the hell is going on with the whole g-man, breen, combine struggle. Whatever. I'll just keep waiting for Half Life 3... I really wasn't angered by the ending due mainly in part to the fact that i had just finished one of the best games up to that point, and promptly started over again.