Thatcher is Dead!

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Furburt said:
Agent Larkin said:
Why won't she just die.

It could be a focal point of bringing Ireland and Britain together through her funeral

by letting us all beat her corpse with sticks.
Sticks?!

I'm getting out the fucking Armalite!
Yeah but guns would destroy the corpse too quickly.

But in the sense of multiculturalism they can use Cricket bats and we can use Hurls.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
-Orgasmatron- said:
Nickolai77 said:
Unfortuantly for you.. the vast majority of the Northern Irish wanted to stay part of the UK, the referendum settled that. The British soldiers in Northern Ireland where defending the population from terrorism, therefore i see their cause as just. The activitys of both loyalist and republican insurgents is off less repute.

Oliver Cromwell was a bastard i completly agree, and the English colinisation of Ireland leaves much to be desired. Potato Famine yes, was a trajedy, however i think the Irish should blame the English Landlords rather than the British government, after all the British government did attempt to help, just not very well because we have never exprienced a famine since the 13th century. At any rate, i do not see how these past injustices justify the acts of the IRA in the 1970's.

This is also coming from someone who's ancestors also suffered through the potato famine. i'm no bias source of opinion.
I apprciate you are well read in this and I agree with you on alot of what you wrote. Although the first paragraph about the Northen Irish wanting to stay in the UK, that's strictly to do with sectarianism which is deep in a lot of Northern Irish and Republic of Irish peoples minds, although the logic behind it is about as worthy as the logic of the BNP. Personally I think the best thing to happen would be Ireland uniting and joining the UK, although I think a lot of what the IRA has done, although it proves a point, has just raied an incredible amount of tension between Protestants and Catholics which will mean the chances of a united Ireland are incredibly slim.
A united Ireland would be great provided all concerned consented to it. If Ireland then joined the UK, that would be even better, it would be a really special moment in the history of the British Isles.

On a side note, I really hate writing Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland as my mother is from the North and my father from the South, but I just consider myself Irish, I can't stand those seperating terms.But yea, I do get what you're saying and I think it's just a personal opinion on which we disagree and that can't be helped. Although saying the IRA are the same as the Taliban, I don't think that's right man. Happy to talk more about it with you though, as it is a rariety on the internet that you actually get some intelligent and informed conversation.
The IRA and the Taliban do have a number of things in common, but one significant difference is that the Taliban are a lot more evil than the IRA are. I would suppose the IRA would be about as "evil" as the Argentianian army when it occupied the Falklands. The Taliban on the other hand are almost as bad as the Nazi's.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
lewism247 said:
GrinningManiac said:
A misconstrued text message announcing the passing of a beloved pet has sparked a flurry of diplomatic activity in Canada.

Transport Minister John Baird sent a message reading: "Thatcher has died".

Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper was soon informed that 84-year-old former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had passed away.

But it was actually Mr Baird's beloved cat, named after his political heroine, who had died.

The confusion spread around a gala event in Toronto, where some 1,700 luminaries were gathered at a black tie event.
Calls to puzzled officials in both 10 Downing Street and Buckingham Palace followed.

Embarrassed aide Dimitri Soudas had reportedly already started preparing an official statement mourning the passing of the Iron Lady.

He was told that Baroness Thatcher - who just a few days ago attended a Remembrance Day service at London's Westminster Abbey - was alive and healthy.

"If the cat wasn't dead, I'd have killed it by now," Mr Soudas is reported to have said of the 16-year-old grey tabby.

Quoted directly from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8358544.stm

Gotcha!

Since this is more of a "Ha ha, very witty, Mr. BBC" thing more than discussion material, I'll ask:

What do you think of Ex-PM Margret Thatcher, the Iron Lady?
What do i think of her?

I'm Scottish and pro IRA.Go figure.

EDIT:I mean the original IRA.
My father was killed by the IRA....

If you were in this room now I would fucking beat you senseless.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Bretty said:
lewism247 said:
GrinningManiac said:
A misconstrued text message announcing the passing of a beloved pet has sparked a flurry of diplomatic activity in Canada.

Transport Minister John Baird sent a message reading: "Thatcher has died".

Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper was soon informed that 84-year-old former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had passed away.

But it was actually Mr Baird's beloved cat, named after his political heroine, who had died.

The confusion spread around a gala event in Toronto, where some 1,700 luminaries were gathered at a black tie event.
Calls to puzzled officials in both 10 Downing Street and Buckingham Palace followed.

Embarrassed aide Dimitri Soudas had reportedly already started preparing an official statement mourning the passing of the Iron Lady.

He was told that Baroness Thatcher - who just a few days ago attended a Remembrance Day service at London's Westminster Abbey - was alive and healthy.

"If the cat wasn't dead, I'd have killed it by now," Mr Soudas is reported to have said of the 16-year-old grey tabby.

Quoted directly from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8358544.stm

Gotcha!

Since this is more of a "Ha ha, very witty, Mr. BBC" thing more than discussion material, I'll ask:

What do you think of Ex-PM Margret Thatcher, the Iron Lady?
What do i think of her?

I'm Scottish and pro IRA.Go figure.

EDIT:I mean the original IRA.
My father was killed by the IRA....

If you were in this room now I would fucking beat you senseless.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've said before on this thread that i didn't use the right words.I support what they fought for,not their methods.I also meant the IRA on the 1920's.

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

nativebelle

Aug 9, 2009
Agent Larkin said:
nativebelle said:
I can't wait for the street parties.
Street parties?

It will be a national holiday across the whole British Isles.
Imagine ALL the street parties.

I think it's wonderful how the hate has been passed on generations that didn't even experience Maggies tyranny.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
Sulu said:
iamthehorde said:
Sulu said:
Huzzah! Thank god she isn't dead.

Truly she was a leader with more balls than any of the other PMs. She got the SAS to sort out a prison riot and showed those Argentinians who is boss!
yeah, right, the falkland war is probably the most glorious war ever fought... and probably the most necessary one, too! hey, we should make war a sport. look, i´m german, how about it poland? how about it great britain? you want another round? wanna see who is boss?

now if that isn´t funny, well, i may be a humourless person...
lol yeah I think Germany should have mentioned that before starting round 2. lets hope they aren't planning a round 3!
i saw the plans. it´s true. tokio hotel is only the beginning. it will turn out to be like a luau but with real beer and sauerkraut. and we will lose this time too because we´re mellow now.

mugetsu37

Sep 26, 2009
Irish blood and pro IRA. I can easily say I was disappointed that it wasn't the real Thatcher.

Edit: Michael Collins era IRA

Angel Emfrbl said:
Wasder said:
She's so evil even death seems to be afraid of her.
She wasn't Hitler you know.

And to be honest, Gordon's a lot worst then Maggie was any day.
Brown's an idiot, Thatcher had intent and she knew what she was doing.

mugetsu37

Sep 26, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
Potato Famine yes, was a trajedy, however i think the Irish should blame the English Landlords rather than the British government, after all the British government did attempt to help, just not very well because we have never exprienced a famine since the 13th century. At any rate, i do not see how these past injustices justify the acts of the IRA in the 1970's.

This is also coming from someone who's ancestors also suffered through the potato famine. i'm no bias source of opinion.
First of all, it wasn't a famine. Like you said, it was the English Landlords refusing let the people for them eat their own food. There was plenty of food, it's just it all went to the English. What did the British Government do about this? Nothing of importance, otherwise a third of Ireland wouldn't have died and another third emigrate.

As far as you opinion being unbiased because your ancestors also suffered through the potato famine, I am calling your bullshit. That means absolutely nothing. That's akin to saying I think the Nazi's were justified because I have German ancestors.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
mugetsu37 said:
Somebody's touchy o.0

Well, you may not understand this, but i do have quite an interest in my own family history, in perticular that of the O'Dowd clan. I've also holidayed their as well, it's a beautiful country and the people (and their drinks) are awesome. So, given my personal connection with Ireland, i am more likely to sympathise with the Irish and their history.

Alright, onto history. If you want to be technical about the Great Famine then yes i suppose it was a potato blight, the potato being the staple diet of the Irish tenants. The reason why this was the case was because the landlords owned all the fertile land, pushing the Irish onto poorer land where they could only grow potatos. During the 1840's when the blight struck the British government did try to help, after all a number of Mp's in parliment where Irish themselves, however their effors to help backfired. For instance, Britain brought £100,000 pounds worth of corn from America, however the corn arrived in unrefined form, and local facilities lacked the abilty to refine it. Repealing the Corn Laws and lowering the cost of bread did not help either. The British government also tried to set up public works projects so that the Irish could earn money to buy food, however, these public works projects where poorly run and unprofitable, and since the Irish where already starving, little work was done. Really, i think the government should have attempted to tackle the landlords directly, however, considering that the landlords possesed a lot of political power in the House of Lords, not much could have been done even if they had tried that. However, if i remember rightly parliment did manage to attain a temporary ban on exports from Ireland during a famine in the late 18th century. However, considering the power that the British upper classes had in parilment, and that by the mid 19th century the landlords had very much consildated their power in Ireland, its not surprising that parliment could not, once again, forbid the exports of food from Ireland. Parliment had the right motives, and the right theory, but in practise their plans where useless.