That's not a plot hole!

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hm...perhaps my biggest plot hole, if it could be called that (and I don't think so) is the fact that the Jedi suck in Revenge of the Sith. These are supposed to be amazingly skilled warriors who can sense danger coming, and yet when it's time to step up, they get floored. Yes, I know that it's hard to win against an entire unit of tanks, or dozens of Clone Troopers, but come on. The steps leading up to the Jedi Temple, and the Temple itself, should have been littered with dead Clone Troopers. Obi and Yoda should have had to watch where they step based on how awesome we've been told they Jedi are. Okay, so the top ones were out fighting the war ( by the way, good job Ki-Adi, at least you managed to take two of them with you. Unlike everyone else). That doesn't mean that the Temple was left in the care of little kids. There were fully trained Jedi there, and it still turned into a massacre, but only on the Jedi side.
Firstly, they never got the chance to sense the attacks (I think it's done by sensing your attackers malice or something) because they order was given then carried out immediately. That's why Palpatine spread out his forces, so the Jedi were isolated, surrounded by clone (who were trained their whole lives to follow orders).

Secondly, the attack on the temple went so well because Anakin led it. He did a lot of the heavy lifting, killing a silly amount of jedi masters and the like. I imagine the clones cleaned up a lot of the bodies since they were trying to lure the remaining jedi back there as a trap.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:
I always find people's complaints of time travel "plot holes" to be amusing, as such a thing isn't possible by our understanding of time. Yet people treat it as though it is, and so it should follow our logic. Yet nobody complains about impossible things in sci-fi films such as instant teleportation and so on.
Time travel "plot holes" often exist because they counteract established lore. If they exist because "that's impossible," it's not really a plot hole. It's called fact checking.

You can have plot holes involving ghosts, time travel, the Loch Ness monster and cultured Americans. They don't need to really be real for the plots to have issues. They just need to jive with the mechanics as stated.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I hate it when people try to point out plot holes in Batman movies. You know how he was able to do all that stuff that seemed impossible? HE'S FREAKIN' BATMAN.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
NoeL said:
debtcollector said:
Point 1. I'll let Saruman take this one. Mr. Lee?
"Of course. *Ahem* 'His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh.'"
Thank you. Let me reiterate. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh. That volcano won't stop the Eye.
Then how come he didn't see Sam and Frodo hiding behind a rock? I Saruman might've bought into Sauron's bullshit a little too much ;D
Well he....but....you....and then........
Damn. Well played, sir. You win this round.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
FINALLY, someone who understands my bane with the LotR fans who keep digging up the Eagles shit.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
My gripe with LoTR is that at the battle of Helms Deep Legolas, who has gotten headshots while sliding down stairs on a shield, misses not one but two headshots when its the most important time to get a headshot.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The Selkie said:
Lieju said:
The eagles of Manwë were too obvious, and something Sauron would have been wary of and have defenses against. The reason Frodo and Sam succeeded was because the plan was so crazy Sauron never anticipated it.
One could argue against this. The view I take on the matter is the whole "eagles answer to no one" etc. I think it's written somewhere that the plan worked, not because Sauron didn't expect hobbits to sneak in and destroy the ring, but largely because he didn't expect anyone to try to destroy it (hence the complete lack of defences around Mount Doom). Being so thoroughly corrupted, he assumed anyone who got the ring would use it for personal gain/to fight against him. He couldn't imagine anyone throwing away such power which was ultimately his downfall.
The eagles answer to Manwë, don't they? And oppose Morgoth and later Sauron, that was their job. They also helped Gandalf on several occasions, and I think they also participated in the battle at the Black gate.

I also recall the point of their attack on the Black gate was to convince Sauron those forces had the ring, because they were challenging the vast forces of Mordor, and only someone who had the ring would dare to do something like that.

True, Sauron didn't expect anyone would try to destroy the ring, but Mordor still had very strong defenses and just getting there was difficult. He would have especially been vary of the eagles, and had defenses against them.
While I doubt he even knew what a hobbit was.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
V da Mighty Taco said:
Well,like you've said,only something which completely shatters any belief is a slap out of fiction into reality which anyone can feel.But I don't even bother predicting the plot,for example I didn't see the betrayal in Dishonored which is considered to be seen from a mile away.I'm not very well armed with common knowledge about tropes and classic plot twist, so I can't really foresee a betrayal even if it's in every.single.video.game.ever.made.
Recently mostly I complain about how different continuations of stories have taken a turn away from their possible massive potential for development,either for the character or the setting by tackling a difficult cultural subject or a philosophical/fictional concept.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Kellogs Fried Chickn said:
thedoclc said:
A lot of folks are arguing for rational, practical solutions. Er, that's not Tolkien. See, it's not a plot hole when you are an angel and are sort of in tune with what God wants to happen and how God was manipulating events on his own. That is exactly what Gandalf is - all five wizards, Radagast, Saruman, Gandalf, and the two guys who sort of just exist in foot notes - are angelic beings sent by Eru and his Valar to guide the Free People of Middle Earth.
I think you just ruined the whole of Middle Earth forever.
Tolkien pretty much hit you over the head with this stuff in the book. And then Tolkien's other books make the roles pretty explicit, especially when Eru shows up as a character and directly talks to his angels. It wasn't terribly explicit in the movie, but I am surprised viewers missed the messianic undertones of Gandalf's death and resurrection and the least is first theme of having a hobbit bear the ring. Or Gandalf knowingly talking about heaven as the "far green country."

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
elvor0 said:
Denamic said:
I just hate it when people assume unexplained things = plot hole.
That's called bad writing. Just introducing something then saying "it works because it does" is a massive cop out, second only to the power of love.
Or bravery *coughcough*Soul Eater*coughcough*

OT: I never really notice plot holes. Maybe I'm just a shit writer/reader, but they never seem to show up to me, but I can live with that, because I'll love it or hate it determined by if it is properly executed, which can allow for faults.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Legion said:
rhizhim said:
because, you know, movies tend to bring their own kind of rules to their universes/dimensions with them.

we also dont complain how the idiots of fast and the furious manage to drive so well while ignoring the laws of physics our realm has.

or on how well gunman x can shoot a moving target while moving himself in the opposite direction with perfection. and also avoid being shot, burnt or crippled (like in die hard)

i hope you get the idea.
That's my point.

So why is it that when time travel is in the film, it's a "plot hole" when we can't see the logic to it?

I was saying that people often talk about "plot holes" regarding time travel, as they "don't make sense" while ignoring all sorts of other implausible things in films.
It's because time travel often pretends to adhere to logic. Then breaks it. In Spiderman's case, if he suddenly sprouted butterfly wings and started breathing fire for no reason, it would again break the internal consistency.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I once saw a review saying Drive had a shitty plot hole because "the driver just drops them off in some random place after the 5 minutes is up!". NO! The driver's 5 minute rule means the heist/robbery must be done in 5 minutes or he's driving away, because of police response times. NOT that he only drives for 5 minutes when the criminals get into the car. The reason he parked in the parking lot of the basketball stadium was because the game had just finished, so the criminals and the driver could easily leak into the crowd and not be noticed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The Selkie said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hm...perhaps my biggest plot hole, if it could be called that (and I don't think so) is the fact that the Jedi suck in Revenge of the Sith. These are supposed to be amazingly skilled warriors who can sense danger coming, and yet when it's time to step up, they get floored. Yes, I know that it's hard to win against an entire unit of tanks, or dozens of Clone Troopers, but come on. The steps leading up to the Jedi Temple, and the Temple itself, should have been littered with dead Clone Troopers. Obi and Yoda should have had to watch where they step based on how awesome we've been told they Jedi are. Okay, so the top ones were out fighting the war ( by the way, good job Ki-Adi, at least you managed to take two of them with you. Unlike everyone else). That doesn't mean that the Temple was left in the care of little kids. There were fully trained Jedi there, and it still turned into a massacre, but only on the Jedi side.
Firstly, they never got the chance to sense the attacks (I think it's done by sensing your attackers malice or something) because they order was given then carried out immediately. That's why Palpatine spread out his forces, so the Jedi were isolated, surrounded by clone (who were trained their whole lives to follow orders).

Secondly, the attack on the temple went so well because Anakin led it. He did a lot of the heavy lifting, killing a silly amount of jedi masters and the like. I imagine the clones cleaned up a lot of the bodies since they were trying to lure the remaining jedi back there as a trap.
True, I just feel that, after everything we've been told about the Jedi, things could have gone better. Ki-Adi had time to turn around and look at the clone troopers, completely sense the attack, and he still failed miserably. Blocks two shots, deflecting one back, and then goes down. It's not even a hail of blaster fire, just a single shot. Aayla or whatever (the blue girl) went down quick, but that's because it was point blank and she was surround. Still, she was able to sense the attack coming at least because you hear her light her lightsaber. What should have happened was we see several clips of these Jedi fighting off several clones and slowly getting overrun, until finally we see their bodies--never them actually getting killed, just the aftermath--with exhausted clones standing over them.

As for the Temple, yes Anakin helped a lot. Any Jedi that went up against him would have been toast. But no matter how good he is, he's only one man. The Temple was filled with Jedi, and seeing how Yoda and Obi make quick work of a squad stationed there, the Jedi should have been able to hold off the clones better. I mean Lucas' son's character was a young teenager and he took out three or four clones by himself before they managed to get him. If a kid can waste troopers like that, I just feel that the Jedi magically lost all their training and abilities for the sake of the plot. As for not sensing your attacker's malice, I would think that an entire legion of clone troopers, lead by Sith fuming with anger, marching up dozens of stairs in plain view with orders to kill everyone inside would be sending some sort of hint through the Force that, "Oh crap, we're under attack. Everyone get ready!"
But again, I don't think this is really a plot hole so much as bad writing.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
People complaining about Shepard on shore leave. "But Soren, there's a war going on! Shepard shouldn't be wasting time on the Citadel!"

Few things:

- Soldiers need some sort of break from a war environment. If they stay in it too long, they start to lose military effectiveness. The longer they're in a war environment, the more likely they are to screw up and cause someone (them or their fellows) to needlessly die, and to snap. So at some point, they need a break to that it's less likely to happen.

- The Normandy and her crew need to resupply at some point. Where better to do so than the Citadel?

- Additionally, resupplying the Normandy is going to take time. They're not going to just keep everyone holed up.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
sgtslacker said:
EHKOS said:
You know I did some math at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, and
There is NO WAY Batman would be able to fly the bomb out of there fast enough with the timer being on what it was. Bane said the bomb had a six mile blast radius, and even though I forgot how to do the math, the Bat would have had to fly around 2,000 MPH to clear that. Not to mention some of the fallout would blow back.
Not a plot hole batman fixed the auto pilot so he just jumped out at some point and the bat plane flew the rest it self
That doesn't change the fact that it is impossible to fly that fast and get the bomb out of the city

Sep 15, 2012
thedoclc said:
Kellogs Fried Chickn said:
thedoclc said:
A lot of folks are arguing for rational, practical solutions. Er, that's not Tolkien. See, it's not a plot hole when you are an angel and are sort of in tune with what God wants to happen and how God was manipulating events on his own. That is exactly what Gandalf is - all five wizards, Radagast, Saruman, Gandalf, and the two guys who sort of just exist in foot notes - are angelic beings sent by Eru and his Valar to guide the Free People of Middle Earth.
I think you just ruined the whole of Middle Earth forever.
Tolkien pretty much hit you over the head with this stuff in the book. And then Tolkien's other books make the roles pretty explicit, especially when Eru shows up as a character and directly talks to his angels. It wasn't terribly explicit in the movie, but I am surprised viewers missed the messianic undertones of Gandalf's death and resurrection and the least is first theme of having a hobbit bear the ring. Or Gandalf knowingly talking about heaven as the "far green country."
Viewers saw Gandalf as a wandering magical hobo who made stuff up as he went along. The more I learn about him the more justification I find for not liking his literary work, thanks.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Mycroft Holmes said:
debtcollector said:
Mycroft Holmes said:
That isn't a plot hole, he wasn't stepping on it to spell the name ergo it wouldn't collapse. It wasn't some dude setting up a puzzle with collapsing floor squares, it was God using his powers, he doesn't have to collapse the tile if he doesnt want to, because he's God(or shes? yeah think about it.)
So all it would take to solve that room would be to do it blindfolded? No, I don't think so. None of the three trials were supernatural in any way, just feats of engineering. That said, it isn't a plot hole so much as an inconsistency. It's not like the entire plot is rendered moot.
That makes zero sense whatsoever, how would blindfolding yourself help in any way? Like God's a lawyer and hes just going to go, oh darn you found a loophole I guess you win now? It's about intent. Indy wasn't trying to game the system, he just made a misstep. The trials were controlled by god, who is clearly evidenced to exist in Indiana Jones. There may be mechanical parts to it, but God is clearly in charge of the whole set up.

Also there was nothing mechanical or engineering based about the leap from the lions head, it is clearly shown from multiple angles to not exist, you can even see his feet hanging over the edge. The bridge appears from nowhere because of his faith, because of his intent. Because God judged him through the trials.
You've forgotten the bridge was always there. It wasn't invisible or teleporting. It was camouflaged in with the wall. It never moved an inch. Everything there was feats of engineering.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
You've forgotten the bridge was always there. It wasn't invisible or teleporting. It was camouflaged in with the wall. It never moved an inch. Everything there was feats of engineering.
No it wasn't. You can't camouflage something perfectly from multiple directions as shown by various camera angles as well as his feet clearly sticking out over open space. Go back, rewatch it. Then try again. There was no bridge.

Why are you even trying to argue this? The story is about Jesus' freaking magic cup that heals gunshot wounds and grants a medieval knight everlasting life. This is not a mundane story. It is very much about the power of God.