That's your arguement...?

Eddie the head

New member
Feb 22, 2012
2,327
0
0
When people argue around the point. I see if often. I was watching someone on youtube saying that Half Life is a bit(key word) overrated, I did not see one person argue the guys points(there might have been one) they just navigated around them to insult the guy.
 

spartan231490

New member
Jan 14, 2010
5,186
0
0
I just hate when someone thinks that an argument or a debate consists of ignoring what the other person has to say when it disagrees with you and just shouting the same unsubstantiated opinions around all day.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
I recently encountered "if you don't back up your facts, I'm not going to believe you." Which is fine, but they refused to supply any facts of their own. It was my burden to prove an opinionated observation while he just sat back and called "bullshit" without any more proof than his own personal observations to back up his own counter argument.
You probably utterly failed to notice that not believing you is different from making a counterclaim that needs to be supported. If you don't prove your opinionated 'observation' all someone needs to do is call bullshit on you.
Are you going to bring anything to this thread, or are you just going to stir shit up in here too? I didn't name you. For all you know it was on a different site.
You're a bit of a dead giveaway. But just saying, you've shown yourself to not really be able to easily distinguish between claims that need to be supported and people merely questioning you.
So basically, I need to learn what you disagree with before I can make a judgement call. Good to know.
No, you need to learn to actually pay attention to what a post says, not act like the poor little victim that's oh so persecuted D=
Oh no, it clearly is because someone disagrees with him and not at all because he can't back up the shit he says D=
I'm not going to do this here, and not now. You're wrong, simple as.
 

rbstewart7263

New member
Nov 2, 2010
1,246
0
0
Trilligan said:
I was having yet another debate on feminism in the News Room a while ago where the person I was debating started saying that pointing out that females in games were often sexualized purely for male entertainment was equivalent to "invoking Sharia Law on the likes of Lara Croft" (direct quote, I wish I were kidding). At that point I washed my hands of the ordeal, because we obviously weren't even on the same planet.
sharias law?
lol

anywho god help you im glad those threads are simmering down.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
I recently encountered "if you don't back up your facts, I'm not going to believe you." Which is fine, but they refused to supply any facts of their own. It was my burden to prove an opinionated observation while he just sat back and called "bullshit" without any more proof than his own personal observations to back up his own counter argument.
You probably utterly failed to notice that not believing you is different from making a counterclaim that needs to be supported. If you don't prove your opinionated 'observation' all someone needs to do is call bullshit on you.
Are you going to bring anything to this thread, or are you just going to stir shit up in here too? I didn't name you. For all you know it was on a different site.
You're a bit of a dead giveaway. But just saying, you've shown yourself to not really be able to easily distinguish between claims that need to be supported and people merely questioning you.
So basically, I need to learn what you disagree with before I can make a judgement call. Good to know.
No, you need to learn to actually pay attention to what a post says, not act like the poor little victim that's oh so persecuted D=
Oh no, it clearly is because someone disagrees with him and not at all because he can't back up the shit he says D=
I'm not going to do this here, and not now. You're wrong, simple as.
Are you trying to provide a good example for the thread. "You're just wrong!" Well good job, you just have provided a great simple example of a horrible argument. Nothing complicated just a nice classic "No u!"
I told you, I'm done. Either add something to this thread or leave.
 

spartan231490

New member
Jan 14, 2010
5,186
0
0
SonicWaffle said:
shrekfan246 said:
Personally, I love the people who will, instead of typing out "Strawman!" as a response, find a picture of a strawman and just use that.
Still not as bad as the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" picture. Do people honestly not realise how childish it makes them seem?
Do you realize how childish it makes you seem that you are telling people they should care what other people think of them? You live long enough you'll figure out it isn't worth your time to care what other people think about you, especially on the internet. Though I always found that argument odd myself, I love living on planet. I just want several other people not to.
 

Starik20X6

New member
Oct 28, 2009
1,685
0
0
Many frustrating arguments against fellow Australians on the pronunciation of the word 'ass'. It is not pronounced 'arse', for that is a completely separate word with a different meaning. This is only really an issue with words like jackass, smart-ass etc. being pronounced as 'jack-arse', 'smart-arse', which aren't real words, and mean nothing. Of course, this is countered by "durr, get out of here American, we pronounce it differently because we're Australian." NO! You're saying it wrong! AAAAAAHHHH!

EDIT:

Also, on the subject of Batman: I'm hearing a lot of arguments to the tune of "Villains like the Joker only exist because of Batman. If Batman didn't exist, there'd be no villains in Gotham." Um, what? So, by that logic, if we got rid of the Fire Department, there'd be no fires? If we get rid of hospitals, nobody will get sick?
 

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
2,842
0
0
Ytomyth said:
DrgoFx said:
My example was "Let's say you have two apples, twice as many oranges and thrice as many bananas. That means our equation is 2 + 2*2 + 2*3. By counting the fruits, you can easily tell that you have a total of twelve fruits. However, if we follow your method, 2 + 2 = 4. 4*2 = 8. 8 + 2 = 10. 10*3 = 30. -insert yelling- So with 2 apples, four oranges and six bananas, we have 30 fruits in total! Thank you oh wise genius of the mathematics!"
Sorry, couldn't let it slip but I think that's just wrong. 2 + (2*2) + (2*3) = 12. So yes, if you don't use math correctly you may get some wrong answers.
I believe that was his point. He and his friend were having a disagreement about an equation, 1+1+1+1+1*0, and what it equaled. His friend said it was 0, and that PEMDAS doesn't apply, since there's no parentheses. Meaning that you just do it left to right, so 1+1+1+1+1=5 and then you *0 for an answer of 0. That was where he (the OP) used the fruit argument and his friends logic of going left to right, no PEMDAS because there are no parentheses.
 

Zetatrain

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2010
748
13
23
Country
United States
Starik20X6 said:
Also, on the subject of Batman: I'm hearing a lot of arguments to the tune of "Villains like the Joker only exist because of Batman. If Batman didn't exist, there'd be no villains in Gotham."
What a minute...wasn't that literally the plot to one of the episodes of Batman TAS?
 

Shocksplicer

New member
Apr 10, 2011
891
0
0
Starik20X6 said:
Also, on the subject of Batman: I'm hearing a lot of arguments to the tune of "Villains like the Joker only exist because of Batman. If Batman didn't exist, there'd be no villains in Gotham." Um, what? So, by that logic, if we got rid of the Fire Department, there'd be no fires? If we get rid of hospitals, nobody will get sick?
Wow. That may be the worst argument I have ever heard. Let me explain this for you.
The point of the "Joker only exists because Batman does" argument is that villains like the Joker exist because they desire to defeat, or be defeated by, Batman. Batman is, in essence, the source of the problem.

Fires don't see Fire Departments and think "Oh, a challenge!".
 

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
2,784
0
41
I've had people on this site of all places go through my argument and find a typo and say my argument is invalid because I misspelled "purpose" or something.
Fuckin' trolls

But I have an example from my days of having a real life too.

I used to be in debate club in highschool and one of my friends had a bit of a temper so he'd always get disqualified for using "ad hominid" (Just strait up calling someone stupid) and he got sick of that so one day they were talking about fuel efficient modes of transportation and he started going on and on about how everyone should ride motorcycles because 2 wheels is twice as efficient as 4 wheels, and he was doing it in a high pitched squeaky voice until his opponent told him to stop being silly. Then he started jumping up and down behind the lectern yelling "YAY I won, I won, she used ad hominid!"
 

userwhoquitthesite

New member
Jul 23, 2009
2,177
0
0
PotluckBrigand said:
I had an argument with NINE people way back in High School about whether Spaniards came from Spain or Mexico.
But you set them straight and told them they come from Egypt, right?

 

Starik20X6

New member
Oct 28, 2009
1,685
0
0
Shocksplicer said:
I've always thought of it as "There are villains, so Batman shows up to deal with them. When there are no villains, Batman disappears again." The whole point of The Dark Knight Rises' opening was "Bruce hasn't been Batman for 8 years because there was no need for Batman. Suddenly Bane shows up, and Bruce has to suit up again'. There's also the whole 'Batman only exists because of the criminals' point, seeing as he wouldn't be Batman if his parents hadn't been murdered in the first place. I'll grant you that in a few cases (in fact, the only two I can think of are Joker and Riddler) there is the desire to best Batman, but it's hardly "it's all shitty because of Batman", which is how it's always presented to me.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
Mikeyfell said:
I've had people on this site of all places go through my argument and find a typo and say my argument is invalid because I misspelled "purpose" or something.
Fuckin' trolls

But I have an example from my days of having a real life too.

I used to be in debate club in highschool and one of my friends had a bit of a temper so he'd always get disqualified for using "ad hominid" (Just strait up calling someone stupid) and he got sick of that so one day they were talking about fuel efficient modes of transportation and he started going on and on about how everyone should ride motorcycles because 2 wheels is twice as efficient as 4 wheels, and he was doing it in a high pitched squeaky voice until his opponent told him to stop being silly. Then he started jumping up and down behind the lectern yelling "YAY I won, I won, she used ad hominid!"
Counter argument for typos: "and that changes my point how?" Though I don't think that works if you have the spelling and grammar of a retard so no one understands your point in the first place. I'm not saying you do, but I don't want someone reading this post and thinking they can get away with "i liek sum ting b4 dat oder ting dose bad stuf"... "U HERD ME!!!"

Also, I laughed out loud at your story about your friend.
 

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
2,784
0
41
Signa said:
Mikeyfell said:
I've had people on this site of all places go through my argument and find a typo and say my argument is invalid because I misspelled "purpose" or something.
Fuckin' trolls

But I have an example from my days of having a real life too.

I used to be in debate club in highschool and one of my friends had a bit of a temper so he'd always get disqualified for using "ad hominid" (Just strait up calling someone stupid) and he got sick of that so one day they were talking about fuel efficient modes of transportation and he started going on and on about how everyone should ride motorcycles because 2 wheels is twice as efficient as 4 wheels, and he was doing it in a high pitched squeaky voice until his opponent told him to stop being silly. Then he started jumping up and down behind the lectern yelling "YAY I won, I won, she used ad hominid!"
Counter argument for typos: "and that changes my point how?" Though I don't think that works if you have the spelling and grammar of a retard so no one understands your point in the first place. I'm not saying you do, but I don't want someone reading this post and thinking they can get away with "i liek sum ting b4 dat oder ting dose bad stuf"... "U HERD ME!!!"

Also, I laughed out loud at your story about your friend.
If you don't understand what the other person is trying to say that's one thing, but if you can under stand it and catch a typo and base your whole counter argument on "You misspelled that word therefore you're wrong"
That's what pisses me off.

If somebody's arguing in Leet speak I'd just as soon slowly back away from the thread and forget it ever happened.
 

Deathmageddon

New member
Nov 1, 2011
432
0
0
I hate it when people try to apply the scientific method/reasoning to metaphysical claims. Like they've never read a science textbook. Metaphysical/theological claims fall under philosophy, not science.