The “WTF?!” Thread

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I think Buzzfeed is also going on about how much everyone likes Rome, so it's not just the Guardian. Not saying Buzzfeed is a great journalistic source or anything.
It's certainly a delight for the Meloni gang. While they're putting up more murderous anti-asylum policies, Italian fascists feel vindicated in their traditional ancient Rome fetish.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's certainly a delight for the Meloni gang. While they're putting up more murderous anti-asylum policies, Italian fascists feel vindicated in their traditional ancient Rome fetish.
Mussolini was a big fan as well...to the extent of destroying real Roman ruins to put up fake ones.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

What ?
Uh. No.
What ?
Must be a slow news day

I think Buzzfeed is also going on about how much everyone likes Rome, so it's not just the Guardian. Not saying Buzzfeed is a great journalistic source or anything.
Now I smell some absolute bullshit going on. Why are these news sites obsessed with saying "all men" can't stop thinking about Rome? Rome never becomes a thought in my head, aside from Roman numerals.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As many men have wronged me, I assure you, I will NEVER "know true power," and am actually now more content in my ignorance of it than ever before.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Nazis gonna nazi

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Now I smell some absolute bullshit going on. Why are these new sites obsessed with saying "all men" can't stop thinking about Rome? Rome never becomes a thought in my head, aside from Roman numerals.
Liberal white feminists are mad (their low-effort clickbait clout-and-revenue streams are drying up). News at eleven.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Liberal white feminists are mad (their low-effort clickbait clout-and-revenue streams are drying up).
I highly doubt they're actual feminists. There's feminists, and then there's "feminist". The second term are the people who claim to be feminists, but they're assholes who can't handle different opinions or expect everyone to agree exactly them 1000% of the time. I am not going to blame a specific group, because actual real feminists wouldn't be bothering with these dumb ass questions that go nowhere. The people "asking these questions" aren't what I would describe as feminists. Just idiots or drones with nothing better to do, and trying to stir up some shit. That's all else I am not dragging this conversation out and this discussion is over for me.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
No true Scotsman gg no re lol
No, this is perfectly representative of liberal, white, late third-wave feminism:clickbaiting over imaginary problems for clout and revenue, and crying victim when called out.

Sorry if you don't like that, but it's why even other feminists can't stand liberal white feminists.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Babbling nonsense.
Yeah, I don't give a crap. Even if that's the case, so what? They don't represent all feminists. Then they're just bad feminists or wannabes; end of story. I know you have your many odd opinions, but I'm not debating over you with this. I'm tired and full of allergies and I got better things to do right now. Moving on and deal with it.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't give a crap. Even if that's the case, so what? They don't represent all feminists. Then they're just bad feminists or wannabes; end of story. I know you have your many odd opinions, but I'm not debating over you with this. I'm tired and full of allergies and I got better things to do right now. Moving on and deal with it.
Yeah, yeah, we get it: you don't like when implicit white supremacy, and class and educational privileges, are called out within feminism. Sweeping generalizations are totes awesomesauce until it's a group you like getting called out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, yeah, we get it: you don't like when implicit white supremacy, and class and educational privileges, are called out within feminism. Sweeping generalizations are totes awesomesauce until it's a group you like getting called out.
You mistaken me for someone that gives a shit. Now screw off, because I am not mood for petty back and forths.

FTR, I didn't claim to like/favor all feminists, nor claim to be one, but I do smell bullshit when I see it. So far you've been nothing, but acting like shit and sniffing your own farts.

Putting you on ignore.

Nov 9, 2015
I think it sort of is and isn't. The premise seems obviously stupid to me, but it feels a bit like they're poking fun at the trad lunatics who all have statues and shit as their profile images. And absolutely poke fun at those guys, but this feels kinda like saying we're all like that. TBF, I do throughly dislike the Guardian and may be somewhat oversensitive to what I perceive at its terrible hypocrisy.
It probably came from that one twitter screencap that said something like "Men would rather learn about ancient Rome than go to therapy."

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, yeah, we get it: you don't like when implicit white supremacy, and class and educational privileges, are called out within feminism.
Wait, where is the white supremacy in that obviously lighthearted article?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Wonder how many would’ve shit a Lego brick if it was during business hours.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Wait, where is the white supremacy in that obviously lighthearted article?
Well, you can start with why the Roman empire is overrepresented in popular culture for its historic relevance, achievements, and legacy. As opposed to, for example, the caliphates, khanates, Chinese dynasties, indigenous central and south American empires for the comparative little known about them (hint), or for its renewed interest in post-pan-Africanism, the Mali empire (which made up for lack of geographic span with wealth). Since we're comparing like-to-like and comparing the historic legacy of great empires from the classical to modern era.

One wonders, for example, if someone who isn't white, western, or Christian might have such regard for the Roman empire as compared to others of equal or greater historic relevance outside popular culture.

Then you'd do well to ask yourself what sort of person might write an half-assed op-ed based on sweeping generalizations applied from popular culture assumptions about "trad men", framed around popular culture "knowledge" of history. You might ask yourself why I keep saying popular culture, and why I keep putting popular culture in italics...well, I'll tell you: it ain't exactly a sign of worldliness, internalized education, or a particularly deep or thoughtful perspective.

"But Eacaraxe!" you might say, "that reflects societal white supremacy!" and indeed you'd be right. Authored works written within a white supremacist context and framework, even if unintentional, will represent white supremacy. The difference is within whether that framework reinforces or challenges white supremacy, or if the author even realizes what they're doing in the first place...which in this case, they clearly are not.

"Obviously lighthearted" is another way of saying "it's just a joke", and we all ought to know the implications of that statement. I think you know well enough where the white supremacy is in it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you can start with why the Roman empire is overrepresented in popular culture for its historic relevance, achievements, and legacy. As opposed to, for example, the caliphates, khanates, Chinese dynasties, indigenous central and south American empires for the comparative little known about them (hint), or for its renewed interest in post-pan-Africanism, the Mali empire (which made up for lack of geographic span with wealth). Since we're comparing like-to-like and comparing the historic legacy of great empires from the classical to modern era.

One wonders, for example, if someone who isn't white, western, or Christian might have such regard for the Roman empire as compared to others of equal or greater historic relevance outside popular culture.

Then you'd do well to ask yourself what sort of person might write an half-assed op-ed based on sweeping generalizations applied from popular culture assumptions about "trad men", framed around popular culture "knowledge" of history.
If we boil this complaint down, it comes to: the author didn't include the caveat that they're talking about a trend in western online culture. Which I thought was kind of obvious.

You might ask yourself why I keep saying popular culture, and why I keep putting popular culture in italics...
Not really; overuse of italics is one of your trademarks, so it's lost its impactfulness.