The 10 Most Quintessential 90s Movies

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dumb & Dumber is definitely a quintessential 90's movie, whether folks enjoy it or not it is very 90's.

Also on the list for me, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs because they were definitive of the 90's shifts away from conventional movie making. The Usual Suspects because it made an impact. Fight Club came out in '99, but being on the tail end of the decade it really had more of an impact in the new millennium. Forrest Gump was huge pop culture-wise. Se7en cemented Brad Pitt's career, and was a damn good movie to boot hats off to the nameless actor who played the killer for not having his name on the credits so people would be guessing who it was (I know who, just being nice to those who haven't seen it yet).
Oh and Saving Private Ryan gave us a feel for the Normandy invasion and the horrors of that war... And last but not least, how the hell could you forget Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Seriously!!!
I look back and realize just how many damn good movies there were from that era and must conclude the 90's ruled. Millenials, you all got screwed XD

8bitOwl said:
I think Terminator is better than Terminator 2, even if they're both great films.

Mmmh, let's see... Jurassic Park is a must for me.
Then there's Total Recall... Robocop.... Tim Burton's Batman....
Batman was 1989, just a year shy. But you can totally say Batman Returns, Batman Forever or (oh god no!!) Batman & Robin. All 90's movies, but I'd say that Forever was the one that captured the 90's aesthetic fairly well...
Also Robocop was '87.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I feel like Armageddon could replace Con Air in terms of "90s culture", not because of the soundtrack that mostly contains Aerosmith, but that it pretty much launched Michael Bay into the direction of where he is today.

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
What's more Nineties than "Trainspotting"? I realise this is an American website, but c'mon now.
I LOVE Trainspotting but that could legitimately take place now.

The one movie that I think is really truly a 90s movie, and I know that this is going to show how old I am, is Reality Bites. It captures a very specific moment in time, specifically the 90s, and defines it. At least for my generation it hits the nail on the head. It is honestly the defining film for a whole slew of Gen Xers.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Got no problem with the list as presented, though I'd agree that Reality Bites would've been a solid inclusion for the time. My touchstone would've been Pump Up the Volume, but to each their own.

There are lots of arguably good films listed here which were omitted, but I think it's missing one collossal bad one : Waterworld.

UPDATE: Also, after reviewing the trailer, Hackers may be the most 90s movie ever, in both the good and bad brackets. I really liked it when it came out but for chrissakes, that trailer? it really was that bad, wasn't it?

UPDATE 2: Son of Update : Also, where's The Crow?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I've always thought the 90's are kind of hard to define because, or that it's not something that can really be defined. It started off bleeding culture from the 80's, went into a sort of null state in the middle, then moved into the dawn of the internet era at the latter end. I mean Hackers was silly but it's not like Hollywood has gotten any better on the topic!

That said adding to the list how about a 90's sci-fi, The Fifth Element?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Reality Bites is automatically disqualified for the terrible cod reggae cover of Baby I love Your Way! Singles on the other hand is freaking brilliant.

icythepenguin

Jun 5, 2012
8bitOwl said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
8bitOwl said:
I think Terminator is better than Terminator 2, even if they're both great films.

Mmmh, let's see... Jurassic Park is a must for me.
Then there's Total Recall... Robocop.... Tim Burton's Batman....
Batman was 1989, just a year shy. But you can totally say Batman Returns, Batman Forever or (oh god no!!) Batman & Robin. All 90's movies, but I'd say that Forever was the one that captured the 90's aesthetic fairly well...
Also Robocop was '87.

I was afraid they actually were '80s films... I should've checked it out.

Well, then Batman Returns, for sure! And I even liked it more than Tim Burton's first Batman film.

Uhm... is Escape From New York an '80s film too? Boys I am old...
Escape From New York is an 80's film. Escape From LA is a 90's film with all that 90's goodness of early CGI and Bruce Campbell.

Lets not forget Demolition Man with Stallone and Snipes duking it out in a pacifist future LA.

The Rock with Connery and Cage trying to stop rogue soldiers from launching nerve gas into San Francisco from Alcatraz.

Army Of Darkness and its classic S-Mart speech and "boomstick".