The 25th Anniversary Edition of Live-Action Classic Night Trap Coming to PS4 and Xbox One this Spring

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The 25th Anniversary Edition of Live-Action Classic Night Trap Coming to PS4 and Xbox One this Spring

It's been 25 years since the full-motion-video game Night Trap was released, and now it's coming to PS4 and Xbox One this spring.

Night Trap was never a great game, but it was a well-known one, thanks in large part to the controversy surrounding it. After its release in October of 1992, it ended up being cited in Congressional hearings, where the game was called "shameful," "ultra-violent," "sick," and "disgusting," encouraging an "effort to trap and kill women." Along with Mortal Kombat, Lethal Enforcers, and Doom, Night Trap is considered to be one of the games that led to the creation of the ESRB ratings system. Of course, it's interesting to note that the game that was one of the most controversial titles in 1993 is now being re-released with a "T for Teen" rating from the ESRB.

There will be a digital and physical release of the classic title. The physical release, which will only be available for PS4, is being published by Limited Run Games, and will feature three different covers, each representing one of the three US Sega CD releases. The game will also be released digitally for PS4 and Xbox One. In a tweet today, Limited Run said that the game's video has "been recaptured from the cleanest surviving source material."

There was an effort to bring the game to modern consoles back in 2014, but the $330,000 Kickstarter campaign failed [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped#], raising just under $40,000.

Development on the new version is being done by Screaming Villains, who is also offering the Night Trap theme song as a free download on its website [http://www.screamingvillains.com/]. While there is a release window - Spring 2017 - there's no hard date just yet.

[gallery=7291]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, WHYYYYYYY? Its not a good game, its just infamous for really stupid reasons.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...who wants this? This game was god-awful back in the day, and time has done it no favours in appearance, gameplay, acting quality, music, UI, controls, film quality, writing...

Well, I hope they have an excellent refund policy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Worgen said:
Ugh, WHYYYYYYY? Its not a good game, its just infamous for really stupid reasons.
Wrex Brogan said:
...who wants this? This game was god-awful back in the day, and time has done it no favours in appearance, gameplay, acting quality, music, UI, controls, film quality, writing...

History should be preserved, even gaming. Hell, Id buy ET if it came out on Steam (for a super low price though ofcourse)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And they were right! Night Trap destroyed the fabric of this nation! Why, even now, millions of scantily-clad* women are killed by men in full-body leather suits every day! If only we had listened to the moral superiority of the moral guardians!

[small]* by 1950s standards[/small]

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Huh, You know, I don't think I've ever even heard of this in all my years of videogaming. Probably for the best.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I can't get a fucking new Klonoa game but THIS shit gets a goddamn PHYSICAL release?

Oi vey.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
...I don't get it. Was there really that much of a demand for the game, or is this the industry giving moral busybodies a super-belated middle finger?
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Wrex Brogan said:

History should be preserved, even gaming. Hell, Id buy ET if it came out on Steam (for a super low price though ofcourse)
I guess you're right if you're looking at it through the historical lens of the controversy it caused, but from a gameplay/artistic perspective there are far more deserving games that should get the preservation treatment before Night Trap.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Wrex Brogan said:

Oh, I'm all for the preservation of gaming history, something that has been sorely neglected (although honestly, a lot of pre-crash stuff isn't worth the preservation, and it's hard to argue for some of the post-crash stuff as well), and I'm fine with Night Trap getting preserved given it's controversial nature.

It's just such a shitty game that it's downright offensive anyone would even think to charge money for it. And unless this ************ is 1.50 to cover the cost of the physical disc, well... let's just say, there are better games to 'preserve' in such a way.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Wrex Brogan said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Wrex Brogan said:

Oh, I'm all for the preservation of gaming history, something that has been sorely neglected (although honestly, a lot of pre-crash stuff isn't worth the preservation, and it's hard to argue for some of the post-crash stuff as well), and I'm fine with Night Trap getting preserved given it's controversial nature.

It's just such a shitty game that it's downright offensive anyone would even think to charge money for it. And unless this ************ is 1.50 to cover the cost of the physical disc, well... let's just say, there are better games to 'preserve' in such a way.
Pretty sure ROMs ensure that basically every game ever created is preserved in some form or another anyhow, at least until all the radiation in the atmosphere from inevitable future wars renders all digital data unusable.

Hey, there's a good Kickstarter! A billion dollars to preserve all video games ever made in an underground vault somewhere.

OT: this seems dumb. Companies already overcharge for digital downloads of good old games on new systems. Hell, they overcharge for digital downloads of new games on new systems. We don't need to start paying for the shitty ones too.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What...in the hell did i just watch?

Ugh, i just know this is waiting for me down in the 10th circle of suffering. Time to atone like I've never atoned before...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Look at how good those graphics are though! I mean, it's virtually lifelike!!!

I can't believe they were able to make a game so realistic looking that long ago...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow. While i get that in its way this was an important game it was terrible and almost unplayable, I guess if this turkey sells it really will show just how blind Nostalgia is

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Wasn't Night Trap mostly fun to watch because of the overacting and ridiculousness of the situation? If I recall correctly, there wasn't much actual game to it, mostly trial and error. Doesn't help that most FMV games sucked with a small handful of exceptions.
There were guides to it, but even then it required split-second timing to win (if that was even possible). No saves, and you lost if you missed one event.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Pffft...why?

Seriously, you're right. It's not a great game. Who the fuck called for an 'anniversary edition'?