The 4 Worst Films of 2015

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Hawki said:
This is kind of taking the thread in a different direction, but was Pixels actually THAT bad?
It was so amateurish it really shocked me.

SyFy Original Movie bad, and not even in a good way.

Personally on Jupiter Ascending I'm rather mixed. I certainly wouldn't say it was a good movie, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as many seemed to. In a way it reminded me of "The Chronicles of Riddick"; not a great movie in and of itself, but far from unwatchable and you could see where there was a pretty good movie in there somewhere, if only they had changed the focus a bit.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
P-89 Scorpion said:
Spider RedNight said:
Well that's just shame on you. I wouldn't pay to see ANY young adult movie in theatres nowadays, especially the ones where they try to turn Channing Tatum into someone serious.

OT: Also band wagon here but Pixels should REALLY be on this list, man.

What's a 'young adult movie'? I thought it was a term for films from YA books which Jupiter Ascending isn't it's an original film.
It's not? Then it should try a little harder to be more original because everything about it screams "young adult" - my mistake then but it still seems made for that genre of people.

Also I tend to separate movie adaptations from books - i.e. The end of Breaking Dawn was spectacular for a second whereas the entire book sucked. So even if it was based on a book, I still would've put it under the "young adult" section of movies in my brain.

Either way, my bad

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Sarge034 said:
That's just like, your opinion maaaaaan. I kindda liked Jupiter Ascending too. Unless, of course, everyone must think as you do?
Not really. But you seem to think that flaws in a movie are completely excusable as long as you like it. They are not. Jupiter ascending is a subpar movie by pretty much all accounts. You liking it is irrelevant.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
P-89 Scorpion said:
What's a 'young adult movie'? I thought it was a term for films from YA books which Jupiter Ascending isn't it's an original film.
As someone who's done writing courses and talked with a YA teacher/author, young adult is usually classified as such when it corresponds to a number of criteria:

-Age range of protagonists (teens, young adult...nah, really?)

-Themes. There are usually two main themes in YA books that classify them as such. One of them is empowerment - usually the protagonist is in a position of disempowerment at the start of the story, that's at least in part due to their age/social standing. Harry is abused at the Dursleys. Katniss could be called into the Hunger Games at any time. Pris is part of a caste system. Peter Parker is an awkward nerd, etc. Usually the story involves them transcending their position.

The second theme is usually "awakening," as in, the protagonist gains a better understanding of (some aspect of) life/their life/their circumstance. Sexual awakening is the example that's most common here - as in, the protagonist becomes aware of their sexuality, of their attraction to their opposite (or same) sex, etc. However, the idea of awakening can apply to any number of circumstances/themes; the proviso is that this awakening should correspond to a point of awareness that the average teen goes through at the age in question.

-By this criteria, J. A doesn't fit YA. Jupiter isn't in the age range in question, nor are her circumstances tied in with her age (rather, they're based on social strata/lack of wealth). She is theoretically empowered by her bloodline, but ends the story in the same position that she begins it in. Her awakening is based on greater awareness of the universe (the planet harvesting), but it doesn't correspond to psychological aspects of the YA age group in regards to those revelations, or her concerns. People may scream "romance=YA," but if that's all you have, then that's a hell of a lot of movies that become YA by that definition.

GrumbleGrump said:
Not really. But you seem to think that flaws in a movie are completely excusable as long as you like it. They are not. Jupiter ascending is a subpar movie by pretty much all accounts. You liking it is irrelevant.
On a personal level, I'd argue that he's in the right - flaws in a movie are excusable on the personal level as long as one likes it. To quote a reviewer (paraphrased), "everything is flawed. The key to any truly great work is where the good outweighs the bad so much that you don't even notice the flaws." Citing a personal example, I've already cited that Pan has flaws, judging it on both its own merits, and especially as an adaptation/prequel. I can accept those flaws. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the heck out of myself while watching it.

Then there's the other approach, the principle that he honestly thinks J. Ascending is a good movie, and doesn't have the flaws mentioned. And you know what? That's great. It's great that even in terms of objective (or what counts as objective) analysis, people can reach different conclusions. I'm actually glad personally that people liked J. Ascending, because, IMO, it had so much potential, and I'm glad that in the minds of some, it's realized. To cite another personal example, I think Alien 3 is one of the most criminally underrated films out there, and that it's way better than what its RT score would suggest. Unlike Pan, I laud it on both the personal and critical level. But I'm capable of accepting that many people don't agree with me there.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'm wondering is it still OK to like Happy Gilmore? With every new terrible Adam Sandler movie I feel more and more ambivalent to it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MarsAtlas said:
I don't go to the movies often, usually only to watch big spectacle films that are best seen in theaters, but a friend convinced me to watch Fant4stic with them and it turned out to be the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. I can usually find something nice to say about any game or movie, even infamously awful ones, and the fact that I can't say a single nice thing about Fant4stic is a testament to its awfulness. The fact that its not even on the list while some of the ones here were big titles that earned money just scares me off from the cinema even more.
Y'know, as low as Fan4stic is on my list, I can still mention a bit of stuff I liked about the film. Namely:

-I like Reed's presentation to the class at the start. I can accept that it's a cliche - geeky kid who's the laughing stock of everyone who will one day go on to great things. However, I do think it raises an interesting point/concept - Reed wants to build a teleporter, and explains why it's not too farfetched. Teleportation is something that I think can have a case made for it in real life, even though I doubt that we'll ever achieve it (similar to FTL travel). And yet he's laughed down, and asked to aspire for a "real" career. The idea behind it, that children are expected to aspire to only certain career paths, is an interesting one.

Of course it's a mystery why, having finally built his teleporter, Reed is simply showing it as a science fair, and that Sue and Franklin Storm are AT a science fair at all, but hey, credit where credit is due.

-Throughout the film in the first part there's a certain optimism that I like. These are all intelligent people (Reed, Sue, Victor, Johnny, arguably Franklin) who all have a passion for their field of work, and all get to work together to build the world's first teleporter. I like how this is handled, how it's science, and not presented too cheesily, but the enthusiasm and worth of scientific endeavour is on display. It's stymied a bit by Franklin and Victor going on about how "my/your generation ruined the world, we need to go to Planet Zero for resources, boo hoo," but again, credit where credit is due.

-I like the discussion scene after the succesful test, how it's pointed out how we can name the people who went to the moon, but not so readily the people who made it possible. Speaking personally, I can name Verner von Braun and Korolev as being key in the US and Soviet space programs, but most people will sooner remember the likes of Neil Armstrong and Yuri Gagarin than those who worked on the ground. Again, it's a nice point. While the characters act like fools after going to Planet Zero, I can sympathize with the desire to go at all.

-Plus the aftermath is well handled. The atmosphere, the body horror...people may say "this isn't Fantastic 4, this isn't meant to be dark and gritty." To which I say, judging a work by itself is separate from judging it as an adaptation. I think Starship Troopers is a great movie for instance, yet is horrible as an adaptation. These are separate standards, and by itself, I think Fan4stic is fine up to this point.

-Key word "up to this point." Because it's at this moment that the movie falls apart structurally - we've spent an hour on the first act, and have to compress the rest of the film into about 30 minutes. Others have already pointed out the problems in this section of the movie. I like the idea of the F4 being weaponized, of Ben's resentment towards Reed, and I actually like Doom...sort of. He's intimidating, there's a sense of dread when he's walking through the base. Course we then go to "I want to kill everyone" and "let's go to Planet Zero, which now has a breathable atmosphere for some reason," and everything else (and where did Doom get his cape), and then end with "yay, we're all friends now, let's call ourselves the Fantastic 4 now - something that feels like it should be in the middle of the movie rather than end of it."

Fan4stic is between Pan and J. Ascending for a reason. J. Ascending has great ideas but poor execution. Pan is flawed, but I enjoy it regardless. Fan4stic is somewhere in-between...I honestly think a good movie could have come out of this, and there's sparks of that movie there. But at the end of act 1, something...snaps, I suppose. Maybe it was Trank, maybe it was Fox, maybe it was something else. But I do genuinely have some good things to say about it as mentioned above, but ultimately, this is a flawed, arguably even broken film.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Darth Sea Bass said:
I'm wondering is it still OK to like Happy Gilmore? With every new terrible Adam Sandler movie I feel more and more ambivalent to it.
Dunno. Speaking personally, does anyone else like Click? I accept it riffs off It's a Wonderful Life, but I honestly loved it at the time. I've barely seen any of Sandler's work, so I can't really compare, but, well, just hoping I'm not "the one (in)sane man."

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Hawki said:
MarsAtlas said:
Y'know, as low as Fan4stic is on my list, I can still mention a bit of stuff I liked about the film. Namely:

-I like Reed's presentation to the class at the start. I can accept that it's a cliche - geeky kid who's the laughing stock of everyone who will one day go on to great things. However, I do think it raises an interesting point/concept - Reed wants to build a teleporter, and explains why it's not too farfetched. Teleportation is something that I think can have a case made for it in real life, even though I doubt that we'll ever achieve it (similar to FTL travel). And yet he's laughed down, and asked to aspire for a "real" career. The idea behind it, that children are expected to aspire to only certain career paths, is an interesting one.

Of course it's a mystery why, having finally built his teleporter, Reed is simply showing it as a science fair, and that Sue and Franklin Storm are AT a science fair at all, but hey, credit where credit is due.

-Throughout the film in the first part there's a certain optimism that I like. These are all intelligent people (Reed, Sue, Victor, Johnny, arguably Franklin) who all have a passion for their field of work, and all get to work together to build the world's first teleporter. I like how this is handled, how it's science, and not presented too cheesily, but the enthusiasm and worth of scientific endeavour is on display. It's stymied a bit by Franklin and Victor going on about how "my/your generation ruined the world, we need to go to Planet Zero for resources, boo hoo," but again, credit where credit is due.

-I like the discussion scene after the succesful test, how it's pointed out how we can name the people who went to the moon, but not so readily the people who made it possible. Speaking personally, I can name Verner von Braun and Korolev as being key in the US and Soviet space programs, but most people will sooner remember the likes of Neil Armstrong and Yuri Gagarin than those who worked on the ground. Again, it's a nice point. While the characters act like fools after going to Planet Zero, I can sympathize with the desire to go at all.

-Plus the aftermath is well handled. The atmosphere, the body horror...people may say "this isn't Fantastic 4, this isn't meant to be dark and gritty." To which I say, judging a work by itself is separate from judging it as an adaptation. I think Starship Troopers is a great movie for instance, yet is horrible as an adaptation. These are separate standards, and by itself, I think Fan4stic is fine up to this point.

-Key word "up to this point." Because it's at this moment that the movie falls apart structurally - we've spent an hour on the first act, and have to compress the rest of the film into about 30 minutes. Others have already pointed out the problems in this section of the movie. I like the idea of the F4 being weaponized, of Ben's resentment towards Reed, and I actually like Doom...sort of. He's intimidating, there's a sense of dread when he's walking through the base. Course we then go to "I want to kill everyone" and "let's go to Planet Zero, which now has a breathable atmosphere for some reason," and everything else (and where did Doom get his cape), and then end with "yay, we're all friends now, let's call ourselves the Fantastic 4 now - something that feels like it should be in the middle of the movie rather than end of it."

Fan4stic is between Pan and J. Ascending for a reason. J. Ascending has great ideas but poor execution. Pan is flawed, but I enjoy it regardless. Fan4stic is somewhere in-between...I honestly think a good movie could have come out of this, and there's sparks of that movie there. But at the end of act 1, something...snaps, I suppose. Maybe it was Trank, maybe it was Fox, maybe it was something else. But I do genuinely have some good things to say about it as mentioned above, but ultimately, this is a flawed, arguably even broken film.
I kind of agree. My favourite director is Stanley Kubrick, who build his filmography on adapting books and novels. The main criticism adressed towards him was that he never cared about making an accurate film adaptation of the source material, but only used the authors work to tell him own story in an already established setting with an established plot.

Kinda what you said about Starship Troopers. The science fiction story by Robert Heighlein was a fairly basic pulpy story about space marines (before the concept of space marines became clichee). The director of the blockbuster used the story to create a satire of military propaganda and fascist culture.

Trank really wanted to pull of the same thing, though the studio took control from him and reshot 40% of the film (if the director is to be believed). What we got is a film that is somewhere in between "The Fly" and "Mallrats".

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
Sarge034 said:
That's just like, your opinion maaaaaan. I kindda liked Jupiter Ascending too. Unless, of course, everyone must think as you do?
Perhaps the flaws themselves are relative, no? Do people not have different tastes and preferences? Can one not say this wheat bread is kindda stale, but I still prefer it to that fresh rye? I'm not saying it didn't have flaws, but I did enjoy some things you pointed out as being issues so yeah... You're not the authority to determine what I, we, like. State your opinion as opinion, not as fact.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Caramel Frappe said:
Don't forget, Adam Sandler starred in Pixels which was one of the worst movies alongside Maul Cop 2 and Ridiculous 6 (also the worst movies ever) ... which the actor had a part in all of them. I get the feeling he doesn't care about his career anymore, or his reputation for that matter. The dude's doing these for a pay check, and his comedy falls so flat onto it's face the facial features are not even recognizable anymore.

Adam Sandler is cancerous, and I don't meant that in a toxic manner. He really is cancerous, plaguing movies and ruining what quality is left in the film industry. I want to see him retire, before he causes the genre 'comedy' to be forever tainted.
The most mystifying thing about that trailer is HOW DID HE GET SO MANY HUGE STARS TO AGREE TO THIS

good lord how does he have enough money to keep bribing these people that normally have better sensibility?

Were 8 crazy nights, Billy Madison, and Happy Gilmore really that big of hits?

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
What is so bad about explosive Diarrhea?

Some comedy series like the Simpsons, Warcraft, or South Park made okayish poop jokes. In mein opinion the presentation and quality of the joke is important, not what it is about.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
In some ways, the most irritating thing about Adam Sandler is that one gets the sense that he's a fairly intelligent human being, he can turn in a good performance, and he has some sense of what separates a good movie from a bad one.

...Which in turn implies that he has an utter contempt for his own audience and simply can't be bothered to try any more.