The 5 Best Changes Pokemon Sun and Moon Made

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
Whether or not I use them, cause ofcourse I dont, I still have to face them, and Im a collector, so collect them.

And Im on a gaming site talking about a game. How is it not appropriate to talk about it here?
My point was that you weren't discussing it.. You just come to Sun and Moon related threads to announce your hatred for it, unconstructively, and then leave.
I -made- a thread dedicated to talking about the game.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
It's a matter that there's in no way enough time to model, animate and program about 300 different models into the overworld for the player to ride on, for such a minor feature.

It's either the player rides on a shadowy silhouette, or they ride on about 6 specific Pokemon. I'd rather just live with the "PokeUber" system, personally. Although I did prefer it in ORAS, using my flute to call Latios.
So split the difference. Have a handful of, or even one, Pokemon of each required HM type, and have the player catch the pokemon, or receive it from someone, and then give them the Pokeride that allows them to call it from their PC box when they need it.

As is, the system is a bit stupid. I can surf across the waves on a Lapras, a late game rare water pokemon, before I even have a fishing rod. Oh, and its naturally not registered in the Pokedex, despite me sitting on the thing for hours on end. The system at present just feels wrong, and really cheapens the whole "Bond with your partner pokemon" thing the games have always tried to push. Having your own Pokemon, and being able to use them, would be a lot better, even if its limited in some way.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Joccaren said:
So split the difference. Have a handful of, or even one, Pokemon of each required HM type, and have the player catch the pokemon, or receive it from someone, and then give them the Pokeride that allows them to call it from their PC box when they need it.

As is, the system is a bit stupid. I can surf across the waves on a Lapras, a late game rare water pokemon, before I even have a fishing rod. Oh, and its naturally not registered in the Pokedex, despite me sitting on the thing for hours on end. The system at present just feels wrong, and really cheapens the whole "Bond with your partner pokemon" thing the games have always tried to push. Having your own Pokemon, and being able to use them, would be a lot better, even if its limited in some way.
So you want an identical system, with more inconvenience.. Calling a Pokemon from a box isn't more realistic than calling a Pokemon from a rental service.

If anything, the way it exists now just strengthens the idea that not all Pokemon like battling. This is actually the first game where you get given Pokemon that can't battle. All I'd like is for the Charizard, Stoutland, Sharpedo and Lapras to be actual characters. Like the Mudsdale and Tauros. Or even just exist in a location.. Like the Machamps.

The Pokedex entry issue is extremely minor.. Sure, it's slightly unrealistic. But does it really impact your life in any way?

Saelune said:
I -made- a thread dedicated to talking about the game.
Then why aren't comments like:

Saelune said:
I was expecting my gripes about this being the "worst gen" to just be about Alola forms, but this really is the worst gen in every sense of the word. I hated on Gen 4 cause of the awful pokemon, but gameplay-wise, it was superior to Gen 3 in most every area.

But for every 1 thing I find I like, there are a million things that I dont.
contained to your thread? Again. You're literally just making these posts around the forum to seemingly announce that you hate this thing. Not to discuss why. I can't see anything to work with in your comment.

And just saying.. The OT in your thread never actually asked for anyone's opinions, or any form of discussion.. At literally any point. It was literally just several paragraphs about bashing the game.

So once again, you weren't asking for discussion. You were just broadcasting your opinion, as if it's somehow lifechanging.
The topic was there. I think people here are capable of understanding a topic about a game is meant for discussion. And honestly, I dont care that my negative opinion bothers you. The game being bad bothers me. If negative opinions arent expressed, why would anything change for the better? If we just accept bad game designs and elements they will persist.

You have a negative opinion about my negative opinion, which you are allowed to have, so I am allowed to have my initial negative opinion too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
The topic was there. I think people here are capable of understanding a topic about a game is meant for discussion. And honestly, I dont care that my negative opinion bothers you. The game being bad bothers me. If negative opinions arent expressed, why would anything change for the better? If we just accept bad game designs and elements they will persist.

You have a negative opinion about my negative opinion, which you are allowed to have, so I am allowed to have my initial negative opinion too.
I feel like you're now intentionally being obtuse to the point to make us run in circles.. because you don't want to accept fault.

There's no problem in your opinion being inherently negative. There's a problem with the intent of your posts.

I've explained it well enough already. If you're not understanding it, then it's likely because you're not reading my comments. So here.. For your benefit.

My issue with your comments is that you always come to every Sun/Moon related thread to announce that you think it's the absolute worst and you hate it, as if someone isn't yet aware of your opinion. But every time you do, you have this seemingly intentional vagueness. So far all I've seen is "there's too much story and too many Pokemon that I don't like".

--

I have an issue with people who just want to boast about how much they hate something to people who can do nothing about it.

Common sense would dictate that if you disliked something, you'd post in a forum that influences the game, and you'd criticize it constructively, so it would influence improvement in future.

There's literally no reason to go to threads on general gaming sites to say "Hey guys, I'm here to announce that I hate this thing... Okay, cya". It seems that you don't want discussion. You don't want improvement. You just want to 'let us know' you hate the game.

--

My point was that you weren't discussing it.. You just come to Sun and Moon related threads to announce your hatred for it, unconstructively, and then leave.

--

Saelune said:
I was expecting my gripes about this being the "worst gen" to just be about Alola forms, but this really is the worst gen in every sense of the word. I hated on Gen 4 cause of the awful pokemon, but gameplay-wise, it was superior to Gen 3 in most every area.

contained to your thread? Again. You're literally just making these posts around the forum to seemingly announce that you hate this thing. Not to discuss why. I can't see anything to work with in your comment.

And just saying.. The OT in your thread never actually asked for anyone's opinions, or any form of discussion.. At literally any point. It was literally just several paragraphs about bashing the game.

So once again, you weren't asking for discussion. You were just broadcasting your opinion, as if it's somehow lifechanging.
Fault for what? Having a different opinion than you? You need to stop hounding me for not feeling the same way as you do. I dont think you have ever responded to me about anything but your issue with me not being a blindly positive Pokemon fan.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
Fault for what? Having a different opinion than you? You need to stop hounding me for not feeling the same way as you do. I dont think you have ever responded to me about anything but your issue with me not being a blindly positive Pokemon fan.
Literally the opposite of what I've criticised you for.

My issue with your comments is that you always come to every Sun/Moon related thread to announce that you think it's the absolute worst and you hate it, as if someone isn't yet aware of your opinion. But every time you do, you have this seemingly intentional vagueness. So far all I've seen is "there's too much story and too many Pokemon that I don't like".

--

I have an issue with people who just want to boast about how much they hate something to people who can do nothing about it.

Common sense would dictate that if you disliked something, you'd post in a forum that influences the game, and you'd criticize it constructively, so it would influence improvement in future.

There's literally no reason to go to threads on general gaming sites to say "Hey guys, I'm here to announce that I hate this thing... Okay, cya". It seems that you don't want discussion. You don't want improvement. You just want to 'let us know' you hate the game.

--

--

Saelune said:

I guess its too bad for you this is a public forum. Im going to keep doing this. Just because you do not understand why, that is not my issue to deal with.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
I guess its too bad for you this is a public forum. Im going to keep doing this. Just because you do not understand why, that is not my issue to deal with.
I understand perfectly why you do it. You think your opinion's important so you want to tell the world about it.

But you're literally just going from thread to thread declaring "I hate X", providing literally no input of value. At the very least, provide reasons why. Considering the whole purpose of a public forum is to have a DISCUSSION.
I have. Right from the start I pointed out how painfully linear and time wasty the game is, and seems more than alot of people agree with me on that. I also have gone over why I think a bunch of, mostly the Alola form pokemon are dumb, but some people like dumb pokemon, like literally because of how silly they are they like it. Im not going to be able to convince them otherwise.

I gave you a whole big list of what and why. Go respond to that maybe?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
minor tip: you can make a pokemon shut up and stop yelling for help if you hit them with an immobilizing status (paralysis, sleep, freeze is unlikely but also works)

major tip: how rotom dex works is you poke specific locations on it

- direct center of the screen opens the region map
- black patch between the eyes opens the pokedex (so you can dump the pokedex menu button back to the second page)
- tapping the edge of the map repeats whatever it said last to remind you of a map objective, or just brings up random dialogue postgame
- poking it in the eyes doesn't do anything productive but it's somewhat satisfying

there may have been instructions in the game manual (located on the main 3ds menu when selecting the game) or ingame, but i didn't find either of them before i figured out the controls for myself

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
So you want an identical system, with more inconvenience.. Calling a Pokemon from a box isn't more realistic than calling a Pokemon from a rental service.

If anything, the way it exists now just strengthens the idea that not all Pokemon like battling. This is actually the first game where you get given Pokemon that can't battle. All I'd like is for the Charizard, Stoutland, Sharpedo and Lapras to be actual characters. Like the Mudsdale and Tauros. Or even just exist in a location.. Like the Machamps.

The Pokedex entry issue is extremely minor.. Sure, it's slightly unrealistic. But does it really impact your life in any way?
The problem isn't that its not realistic to call out a Pokemon rental service, its that it doesn't really suit the game series that well, and the way its handled is... Stupid. Its there to look cool rather than to actually add to the Pokemon experience. Gen I, IMO, handled these sorts of things the best. You had your HMs, sure, and that was a bit annoying - but they were on YOUR Pokemon. Your team. Additionally, several Pokemon you found had other abilities. Dig and Teleport would get you out of caves and dungeons, even without an Escape Rope, as an example. Having your Pokemon be able to interact with the world, was great. Calling a glorified taxi? Not as great.

I'd also hesitate to call Mudsdale or Taurus characters. They were there for 30 seconds, got called by their name, got at best a line talking about them, if even that, then they disappeared. After that its even implied that its not that Taurus and Mudsdale you're riding, its just random ones from a Ranch. Your own party are far better characters than the Taurus and Mudsdale, and you spend far more time with them, and know far more about them, because of it. Having more ways for them to interact with the world would be great.

Using the current system, you'd improve it by having your own Pokemon actually perform the tasks. Being able to call them from the PC box? Sure. Not needing HMs? Not a problem. The fact its Pokemon that range from semi-rare, to 1% find rates in a single spot in the post game that ferry you around [Not including the ones that aren't even acquirable through conventional methods]? Not as cool. Mechanically, whatever, it works. Thematically? Not so great. It doesn't really mesh with the idea of going on an adventure with YOUR Pokemon friends. Hell, why can't I just call in Mercenary pokemon to fight by my side? Surely someone runs that business. If they've gone to the incredible trouble of capturing a bunch of goddamn Charizard in Alola, no easy feat, then I can't see them having not grabbed a couple of level 30 Gravellers to help you push through the Volcano area, hiring them out to protect tourists who aren't as prepared as they should be.

Its just not a satisfying, or appropriate, system thematically. It needs to be more personal, and more to do with you and your Pokemon's adventures. Not just an anonymous rare Pokemon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok ignoring a certain someone whose detrailing this thread.

I agree with all of them (why is it sometime it won't show the uneffective/ effective om certain battles and I haven't try the ev training thing yet) except for the Rotom Pokedex. No I don't want to read what you are saying, just show me the map already!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Changes/additions I like:
- Being told if a move will be effective or not (with over 800 Pokemon, it's getting really hard to remember type advantages)
- The Day Care no longer leveling up your Pokes (no more losing egg moves from a parent, no more astronomical bills when grinding eggs)
- Poke Pelago enabling you to train up Pokemon's stats while you're not playing.
- Poke Puffs being replaced with Poke Beans, which are easier to get, and raise your Pokemon's affection more.
- Finally having an easy way to check EVs/IVs (the one Pokes are born with and you normally can't change, I keep forgetting which one it is)

Changes/additions I'm mixed on:
- The ride Pokemon. Not having to carry an HM slave around is great, riding Pokemon has a point now and can be done outside of small confined areas, but your choices are kinda eh, and you'll only really use like three of them. Why did the item finder get replaced with the slow & too large for some areas Stoutland? How come the speedy bike was replaced with Tauros? Why is Game Freak still trying to make rough terrain a thing? Why can't we get something to jump back over ledges? WHY DO I STILL NOT HAVE MY ARCANINE?!
- Festival Plaza. I liked Join Avenue from B/W2 well enough, but this feels like a watered down version.
- Gen 2 Pokeballs are reintroduced. Great! You only get one of each with no way of obtaining more. Da fuq?

Changes/additions I dislike:
- Fishing is relegated to a few select spots, and you're back to only having one rod type.
- Island challenges. Very forgettable, often tedious (Hey, go do three of this basic thing, then I'll fight you. Hey, fight a buffed boss Pokemon that'll keep summoning minions, that's fun right?), and the rewards are lackluster (Here's an item you'll likely never use and forget about, and every few victories we'll stamp your book! Uh, thanks?)
-
The Elite Four is made up of three people you've already battled before, one rando, and the Champion is the Professor. It's cool that afterwords there'll be people to challenge you for your spot as Champion, but you still have to go through the Elite Four before you can defend your title.
- Aaand we're back to dealing with most trainers only battling you once. Game Freak, one of the best things about Gens 2 & 3 was being able to have trainers you've previously battled challenge you to a rematch, and see them grow as trainers. Now they're stuck forever standing in place doing jack all after you beat them.
- Mega Evolutions effectively replaced with Z-Moves. With Mega Evolutions, old Pokemon become new again, play styles and strategies change, and Pokemon you may have ignored for being dull/useless/etc. now have new life. With Z-Moves, a regular attack gets more powerful. Yaaay?
- Gen 6's easy and simple online interaction interface is scrapped for burying it in Festival Plaza.