The $70 Price Tag Is Actually Indefensible.

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
I'm super used to this price cause it's been this way in Japan for many years now already, so while it sucks, at the same time I realize that whenever I end up getting a game it's almost always the LE which costs more than 60 bucks anyways.

I think the issue is more that this increase feels like it's arbitrary and comes with no additional benefits such as improved gaming than anything else. If there was a way to show that such a thing was transpiring I'd not mind it one bit. And no, merely being on a next gen system doesn't suffice.
I think the core Idea is that in the eye of the industry we should have been paying 70 dollars earlier and if we extrapolate that assumption to their actions we can see the last decade or so has been a cavalcade of attempts to do just that. The most successful being premium editions and extremely shallow cosmetic micro transactions that ultimately take no effort despite costing often a non trivial percentage of the asking price.

Either way they will keep trying to bleed money from people until either those people shrivel up and die.. or things get ugly.

If mobile is anything to go by .. it seems there is still plenty of blood to squeeze out of people.

Its going to be a very dark day when western publishers start emulating genshin impact now that it is getting this much exposure.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Personally, I feel gamers who ***** about graphics just lack the intelligence to articulate a real argument. It's just something they latch onto because it's obvious.

Also, Jim makes an astute point. With DLC, season passes and micro-transactions, games have been priced over $60 for some time. The publishers are just really sneaky about it.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Five minutes in...

Yeah, I seriously doubt gamers care as much about graphics as the AAA publishers would have us believe. It doesn't explain all those pretty successful indie games or the Souls games or Nintendo's continued successes or Minecraft. I never asked for every game to be photorealistic and massive.

I haven't bought a game at sixty dollars in years, and I barely ever did it in the past. AAA price tags usually go down so fast anyway. I find seventy dollars ridiculous.

I'd argue part of Minecrafts sucess IS it's graphics. Just because said graphics aren't photo realistic and won't make your GPU scream in pain doesn't mean they aren't unique, interesting and attractive to some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'd argue part of Minecrafts sucess IS it's graphics. Just because said graphics aren't photo realistic and won't make your GPU scream in pain doesn't mean they aren't unique, interesting and attractive to some people.
Unless you run Minecraft RTX Mode. I’m reliably informed that makes more than a few GPUs bend over and cry.