The $70 Price Tag Is Actually Indefensible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow... He couldn't take other people's word for it???
Joe's a loud idiot. It's why I stopped watching him 2016. Plus, all he does b#tch and moan unnecessarily most of the time. Also, his movie reviews suck, are over bloated, and most of the guys he has on their are opinionated assholes that would not know a good movie if it bit them in the dick.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Some of Jim's arguments don't even make much sense. I've only bought one game that was the collector's or deluxe edition (MGS4) in my life and I have never purchased microtransactions, and I have never felt like I didn't get the full game. Well, that ME3 day one DLC was bullshit... Also games can have DLC or expansions (these are what like 20+ years old at this point?)

The first ones I recall were Ultima 7 The Black Gate, which had the Forge of Virtue Expansion. In 1992. As did its successor Ultima 7 Part 2 (Origin only updated the number if they made a whole new engine), which was Serpent Isle, then the Silver Seed expansion for that in 1993 (and also in 1993 you could of course get the Complete Edition Box, which had all four, lol).

Wolfenstein 3d. 1st game shareware (Although for those not surfing BBS's in 1992, you probably biought some sort of "50 games" shareware package or something . Buy the remaining 5 episodes to complete the game. Then had its expansion Spear of Destiny release in 1992. DOOM would have similar things, I forget whats its folllowup eidtion/map pack was called though.

Command & Conquer. Released in 1995. Actually had C&C Gold Edition later in 1995, which was an early "Remaster" of sorts adding enhanced SVGA graphics support. And an expansion in 1996

Similarly, Heroes of Might & Magic. 1995. Re-released edition for Windows 95 in 1996. They didn't get into expansion packs until the second installment in 1996, which had its expansion in 1997

Rounding out, Warcraft 2 1995, had an expansion in 1996. Then a re-release scant few years later in 1999 (on Windows where the prior was Dos, and adding Battle.net)

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
or those that don't know or do not remember. Cartridge based games had no set price. Back in the 8-bit/16-bit/N64 days, any game could range from $40-$90 or $100. RPGs tended to be $90-$100. Neo Geo games were even worse, because you were literally getting the arcade board in a big ass cartridge. Those games could go anywhere from $100.00 (the cheapest you could possibly get) to $350+. Think about that. Yeah.
Dude I remember Neo-Geo prices holy fuck they were expensive as shit, but to be fair you did usually get 4-5 full games on each cartridge.

Joe's a loud idiot. It's why I stopped watching him 2016. Plus, all he does b#tch and moan unnecessarily most of the time. Also, his movie reviews suck, are over bloated, and most of the guys he has on their are opinionated assholes that would not know a good movie if it bit them in the dick.
Also fucking true. I used to love Angry Joe, but now I feel he has made so much money that his content has become rather luckluster and forced now because he feels too comfortable to try. Fat cat symdrome and all that I guess. Other Joe is fine, but Alex is a fucking moron.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
but to be fair you did usually get 4-5 full games on each cartridge.
It's been a long time and I don't remember everything, but not a lot of stores did that where I'm from. You had a few with some special deals, but most cartridges I had seen were sold with just the one game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
For those that don't know or do not remember. Cartridge based games had no set price. Back in the 8-bit/16-bit/N64 days, any game could range from $40-$90 or $100. RPGs tended to be $90-$100. Neo Geo games were even worse, because you were literally getting the arcade board in a big ass cartridge. Those games could go anywhere from $100.00 (the cheapest you could possibly get) to $350+. Think about that. Yeah.
Not to derail the thread, but there was this guy, which I love the idea that it comes with an actual functional control panel to play it on but the fact it apparently cost $200 new and the control panel was only useful for it and it's sequel(the third game was Kinect, which introduced a whole other set of problems because...KINECT).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not to derail the thread, but there was this guy, which I love the idea that it comes with an actual functional control panel to play it on but the fact it apparently cost $200 new and the control panel was only useful for it and it's sequel(the third game was Kinect, which introduced a whole other set of problems because...KINECT).

I definitely remember Steel Battalion. They sold it at my local Circuit City before they closed down.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Game pricing is a weird topic for me, since the main video game retailer in my country has no real standard price for their games. Back in grade school, PS3 games were well over 3,000 pesos (equivalent to around 60 USD now). When I got my PS4, games were 2,400 pesos up, which is quite below the 60 USD standard. But then were also games that were 3,000 pesos up as well, usually big ass games like GTA V.

Eventually I learned that the retailer gets both Asian and US copies of their games, so prices really just fluctuated all over the place. So I have no idea how much the next generation of games will cost for me. If the dollar rises in value (or if my currency loses value), I'm probably looking at some really fucking expensive games.

But that is just for the PS5, if I do end up getting one. Thankfully Steam has local support in my country.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
I've heard of Steel Battalion, looks fun if you can find it cheapish. It's pretty hard from what I've heard.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm super used to this price cause it's been this way in Japan for many years now already, so while it sucks, at the same time I realize that whenever I end up getting a game it's almost always the LE which costs more than 60 bucks anyways.

I think the issue is more that this increase feels like it's arbitrary and comes with no additional benefits such as improved gaming than anything else. If there was a way to show that such a thing was transpiring I'd not mind it one bit. And no, merely being on a next gen system doesn't suffice.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The money/value proportion is subjective. For me the 70€ for the DeS remake was well worth it. Then there are other games that costed less that I regret wasting time and money on.

edit: maybe regret is a strong word, it did made me appreciate the games I love that much more. xD

Last edited:

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Game pricing is a weird topic for me, since the main video game retailer in my country has no real standard price for their games. Back in grade school, PS3 games were well over 3,000 pesos (equivalent to around 60 USD now). When I got my PS4, games were 2,400 pesos up, which is quite below the 60 USD standard. But then were also games that were 3,000 pesos up as well, usually big ass games like GTA V.

Eventually I learned that the retailer gets both Asian and US copies of their games, so prices really just fluctuated all over the place. So I have no idea how much the next generation of games will cost for me. If the dollar rises in value (or if my currency loses value), I'm probably looking at some really fucking expensive games.

But that is just for the PS5, if I do end up getting one. Thankfully Steam has local support in my country.
Yeah. Standarized prices tend to happen in countries where retail stores get the games from publishers and do not compete between each other when it comes to prices. 3 different store chains where to buy games in the same block, and all of them have the exact same prices...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
He makes good points, especially more towards the end. However if I could nitpick his video...

Wasn’t he just praising the hell out of Demons Souls? Pretty sure he would’ve put at least 5x more time into that than that weird toy too.

Wouldn’t it be much cheaper for Ubisoft to make smaller scale games, and charge the same amount hence higher profits?

It’s kinda funny how he ignored the point about SNES games being $140-$150 today. Trying to recall how much people complained about that back then. *shrugs*

Also it’s pretty much guaranteed that if games looked and played the same now as they did two generations ago, people would be wondering what the hell is wrong with the industry, and demanding lower priced games since nothing was improving.

Nothing will really change though anytime soon. Pretty sure millions of people have been and will continue to eat up current launch prices of the consoles and games to make it appear justified. I’ll keep waiting for price drops in the meantime. That’s good ol’ supply and demand.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It’s kinda funny how he ignored the point about SNES games being $140-$150 today. Trying to recall how much people complained about that back then. *shrugs*

Also it’s pretty much guaranteed that if games looked and played the same now as they did two generations ago, people would be wondering what the hell is wrong with the industry, and demanding lower priced games since nothing was improving.
Yeah, the costs of making games have ofcourse gone way up but they could keep the price of individual sales or lower it because the total volume sold has also exponentially increased. But there are limits to that growth, both in costs, development time and sales projections. They have experimented with loot boxes, episodic games, microtransactions etc to come up with a more enduring profit model but it all suffered bad press or dragged a game down. Add this to the fact that mobile games are making a ton more money at a fraction of the costs with zero risk and the kind of dedicated, single player 'prestige' game becomes a risky business. If they have to increase it with an extra tenner so be it. Better than having these companies opting out like Konami. Or just have EA, Ubi and Activision left with their annual crap.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
For those that don't know or do not remember. Cartridge based games had no set price. Back in the 8-bit/16-bit/N64 days, any game could range from $40-$90 or $100. RPGs tended to be $90-$100. Neo Geo games were even worse, because you were literally getting the arcade board in a big ass cartridge. Those games could go anywhere from $100.00 (the cheapest you could possibly get) to $350+. Think about that. Yeah.

Sony is the one that started the standard $50 price tag and it was fair and usually reasonable. Then the HD era happened and everyone wanted $60. I called bullshit on it back when I was 17, and that still stands today. I remember some Game Stop employee was trying make pathetic corporate apologizing excuses for the first price hike. Those used to be full games until corporate greed happened, and most were nothing but shell prices or boringly bare minimum entry. The whole inflation excuse for the last two gens is bullshit, because games are cheaper to make, but the big boys at top want it all and make up any bullshit to get it. But they keep making the same "Games are expensive or too expensive to make" and then keep getting all of these bonuses, giving nothing to those making the game, while crying wolf and playing the fucking victim. It's pathetic. Especially when most of the games ain't worth the disc they're printed on in AAA industry.
Especially since these days the vast majority of games are sold digitally, which removes all the costs involved with an actual physical disc or cartridge. This means that the overhead expense for any individual game is much much lower now than it used to be and has been for a long time. The overhead is even less if they sell the game from their own online stores instead of having to give a kickback to Steam or Epic or whatever.

The cost of video games of all kinds and platforms should have plummeted the moment that this became possible for this reason. However, most stores for digital downloads will sell games for just as much as they would if you went to a brick and mortar store to get them. Also, since they can make copies in potentially infinite quantities with so little comparitive cost per unit as to effectively be no cost inflation effecting the overhead isn't a factor. The reason they didn't lower the price after digital downloads became possible and are now looking to raise the price further is because they are greedy and think they can get away with it which they can, pure and simple.

Graphics are also the biggest development expense by far for video games. The game industry should be freezing graphics where they are and focusing upon making that same level of graphics faster, cheaper, and easier instead of continually trying to jack the graphics up. Some of the most graphically intensive games even just this generation are very close to photorealistic as it is, they can't make it much better than it is now. I fully expect that when they have actually reached that level within a console generation or two they'll start doing exactly that since there's nowhere left for them to go.

However, they're not going to stop increasing graphics like would be sensible, because the industry cares only about catering to casual gamers. The industry knows that casual gamers by definition don't actually care at all about the quality or even price of the games they are playing, only about having something to pass the time. Therefore they keep jacking up the graphics because they know the only thing that matters to their actual target audience is whatever is shiny enough to catch their attention.

People like us who actually give a damn about the quality and price of their video games haven't been the target audience for a long time, if we ever were. People love to say "JUST DON'T BUY IT THEN!!!" but we already do until because of casual gamer support it becomes industry wide and as such we end up having no actual choice in the matter but to buy if we still want to play video games at all. The industry can get away with blatant exploitative business practices because casual gamers support it and the rest of us get royally screwed over because of these people. We'll whine, complain, and boycott but in the end the industry just doesn't give a crap about us.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Especially since these days the vast majority of games are sold digitally, which removes all the costs involved with an actual physical disc or cartridge. This means that the overhead expense for any individual game is much much lower now than it used to be and has been for a long time. The overhead is even less if they sell the game from their own online stores instead of having to give a kickback to Steam or Epic or whatever.

The cost of video games of all kinds and platforms should have plummeted the moment that this became possible for this reason. However, most stores for digital downloads will sell games for just as much as they would if you went to a brick and mortar store to get them. Also, since they can make copies in potentially infinite quantities with so little comparitive cost per unit as to effectively be no cost inflation effecting the overhead isn't a factor. The reason they didn't lower the price after digital downloads became possible and are now looking to raise the price further is because they are greedy and think they can get away with it which they can, pure and simple.

Graphics are also the biggest development expense by far for video games. The game industry should be freezing graphics where they are and focusing upon making that same level of graphics faster, cheaper, and easier instead of continually trying to jack the graphics up. Some of the most graphically intensive games even just this generation are very close to photorealistic as it is, they can't make it much better than it is now. I fully expect that when they have actually reached that level within a console generation or two they'll start doing exactly that since there's nowhere left for them to go.

However, they're not going to stop increasing graphics like would be sensible, because the industry cares only about catering to casual gamers. The industry knows that casual gamers by definition don't actually care at all about the quality or even price of the games they are playing, only about having something to pass the time. Therefore they keep jacking up the graphics because they know the only thing that matters to their actual target audience is whatever is shiny enough to catch their attention.

People like us who actually give a damn about the quality and price of their video games haven't been the target audience for a long time, if we ever were. People love to say "JUST DON'T BUY IT THEN!!!" but we already do until because of casual gamer support it becomes industry wide and as such we end up having no actual choice in the matter but to buy if we still want to play video games at all. The industry can get away with blatant exploitative business practices because casual gamers support it and the rest of us get royally screwed over because of these people. We'll whine, complain, and boycott but in the end the industry just doesn't give a crap about us.
I am already more than aware. With that said, there are some casual gamers I know personally that do not like where this generation is heading with the price point. All I can do is advise them and just tell them to wait for a sale or enjoy what they already got. It's not much, but it something to spread some influence.