The Abortion debate

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Through your own statement on post 1 you are biased against abortion because of your religious beliefs. This is an abortion debate. Ergo those religious beliefs are fair to question. Your beliefs, especially in a conversation you started based off your beliefs, do not exist in a void.
So to you, this would also be on topic:
Alice: This is a thread about the morality of eating meat. Due to my spiritual beliefs, I do not eat meat. What do you believe?
Bob: OH YEAH? PROVE ALL YOUR SPIRITUAL BELIEFS THEN!

Sorry, but I don't agree. If you want to discuss religion, make a new thread. Everybody else has managed, for six pages, to not talk about religion, so I think it's just you.

I expected a more thorough answer than just answering a tiny portion of my post
I apologize for not being able to read your mind. It seemed to me like you were just ranting. For example, you said "I see this always..." which, to me, indicated that you were listing your grievances against all those other people who 'always' say things like this.

If you would like me to be more thorough, I will be.

Do you kill the rape victim? No? Why not? Because they're a living person? Because it's wrong to kill innocent people? Well that's why you wouldn't kill (again, assuming the clump of cells is alive and is a person), the baby either. I mean, that's the beginning and end of the logic, right there. Everything else is less important than a human life. The mother needing to abandon their hopes and dreams pales in comparison. If my life was standing in the way of someone else's hopes and dreams, do they get to kill me? No? Well then there you go. All lives matter. All lives are equally valuable. This is that logic followed to its conclusion.

The best way to get an answer out of me is to ask me directly. If there's something you feel I haven't addressed, please repeat it in the form of question.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I apologize for not being able to read your mind. It seemed to me like you were just ranting. For example, you said "I see this always..." which, to me, indicated that you were listing your grievances against all those other people who 'always' say things like this.
And then you missed the "So, what is your answer?" at the end of my supposed rant, implying that I wanna hear what you have to say about the previously mentioned text. To a degree you did, but, again... there was quite a lot there.

Do you kill the rape victim? No? Why not? Because they're a living person? Because it's wrong to kill innocent people? Well that's why you wouldn't kill (again, assuming the clump of cells is alive and is a person), the baby either. I mean, that's the beginning and end of the logic, right there. Everything else is less important than a human life. The mother needing to abandon their hopes and dreams pales in comparison. If my life was standing in the way of someone else's hopes and dreams, do they get to kill me? No? Well then there you go. All lives matter. All lives are equally valuable. This is that logic followed to its conclusion.
Life is important, of course, I acknowledge that. I just find it hard to believe that life comes at the expense of one that already lives and breathes. Your argument before more or less was: Two consenting adults taking a risk by having sex before the time I believe they should means they should be prepared for the consequences that come from that, as it is their responsibility to do so.

The moment consent is removed from one half of the involved party, however, the argument seems to be largely the same: Your life got ruined to a degree due to one person's selfishness. However... Two adults taking a risk by having sex before the time I believe they should means they should be prepared for the consequences that come from that, as it is their responsibility to do so.

So the woman can go ahead and get fucked twice, once metaphorically, and once literally. Lovely. To quote Terminal Blue one more time...

Because what bothers me is when unfeeling, unthinking clumps of human cells evoke more moral responsibility than the thinking, feeling, complex human beings who carry them.
To ask a more personal question, Houseman... Did you come from a broken home?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And then you missed the "So, what is your answer?" at the end of my supposed rant
Yes, I did miss that, because you edited it in after I started writing my reply.

I just find it hard to believe that life comes at the expense of one that already lives and breathes.
Well, it's not literally coming at the expense of another life. The baby isn't literally killing the mother, it's just causing her to change up her lifestyle.
I think that life is more important than a lifestyle, and that you don't get to kill someone else to maintain it.

Issues like "responsibility" and "consequences" are secondary. The goal is not to force people to be responsible or punish them for a lack of foresight.
The primary issue here is "killing a person". I am not changing what is important in each scenario. Life has always been the most important consideration.

To ask a more personal question, Houseman... Did you come from a broken home?
No.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, it's not literally coming at the expense of another life. The baby isn't literally killing the mother, it's just causing her to change up her lifestyle.
I think that life is more important than a lifestyle, and that you don't get to kill someone else to maintain it.

Issues like "responsibility" and "consequences" are secondary. The goal is not to force people to be responsible or punish them for a lack of foresight.
The primary issue here is "killing a person". I am not changing what is important in each scenario. Life has always been the most important consideration.
I can appreciate the sanctity of life as much as anyone, but c'mon, you have to recognize the reality we live in. Sex has been apart of human nature since BEFORE marriage. Conception of children happened BEFORE marriage. Humans are endowed with certain innate instincts that have driven us since BEFORE marriage and BEFORE "God" (though in typing that, I realize you'd simply deny that by way of the existence of the Bible and the creation myths contained therein, so that point's going to ring hollow in your hallowed ears...)

Life begins at conception? I'd argue the potential for life begins at conception, and if you think that merits a simple "change up of her lifestyle" regardless of what a given woman's situation might be, then I think that's a shallow and thoughtless way of thinking. I think anyone as staunchly pro-life as you, those with no regard for the woman's life, who feel the "unfeeling, unthinking clumps of human cells evoke more moral responsibility than the thinking, feeling, complex human beings who carry them," should go on a registry for adoptions. If you want to take away women's right to choose, then you should be ready for a "change up of [your] lifestyle" and be willing, nay, FORCED to raise the children since women who shouldn't be able to choose have to carry to term.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I don't think the pro-life idea is inherently inconsistent even though it's realistically a bad one. You would just need everyone to agree that such is the way things are and pregnancies won't be terminated. With men it more or less already is so, because of how things work naturally. For example, a couple stumbling upon a surprise pregnancy would get married more often like the old days. Adults would be expected to provide support for less fortunate (i.e. no responsible parents) children in situations where institutions can't. And so on. Now in reality, people that want to restrict abortions wish for unrealistic things.

Frankly, I find it a little dumb that most people still say that in an ideal situation there would be very few abortions, because that opens up the debate on what is the "best" way to achieve that. I, in my near-infinite wisdom just skip such a pitfall: abortion is a morally neutral procedure. Consideration around it is an extension of the emotional work put into the act of procreation (sex between consenting parties -> pregnancy? -> delivering the baby?). Disruptions in the act can be cause for reconsideration (sex wasn't consensual, complications during pregnancy, father doesn't return from the corner store, etc.). If we as people and society manage to put in the emotional work that makes abortions all but obsolete, it is an unintended consequence OR one that's forced upon us.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
but c'mon, you have to recognize the reality we live in.
I do, which is why I'd only want to apply this morality in a fantasy world. I recognize that suddenly forcing everyone to adopt these morals-turned-laws would not work in our current societies. I don't want to overturn Roe v Wade or introduce new legislation. This is just a fun "what if society were based around my morals" hypothetical.

think anyone as staunchly pro-life as you, those with no regard for the woman's life,
Again, it isn't literally her life. We need to be accurate with our terminology. Let's not confuse "life" and "lifestyle".
It's not "no regard for the woman's life", it's "less regard for the woman's lifestyle"

if you want to take away women's right to choose
I don't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Again, it isn't literally her life. We need to be accurate with our terminology. Let's not confuse "life" and "lifestyle".
It's not "no regard for the woman's life", it's "less regard for the woman's lifestyle"
Again with semantics.

What is the delineation between "Life" and "Lifestyle?" Literal "life," as in the body functioning at its most basic, biological levels, i.e.: breathing, heart beating, nipples getting hard when it's cold, etc., and "lifestyle" being what one chooses to do with themselves while they're busy breathing, their heart's beating and they're coyly covering rock-hard nipples. You ok with that? Or would you say nipples can't literally be as hard as a rock, therefore my entire point is called into question?

Whether that delineation makes any appreciable difference, the point is a woman's life AND lifestyle are her own, and just because a sperm cell meets her egg at a most opportune (or inopportune) moment, does not mean she should lose all agency de facto over said life and lifestyle. It's weeks and months before that cluster of cells resembles something even remotely human, yet it takes precedence over the woman whose life/style are being affected? I'm sorry, it's not always as easy as "changing up her lifestyle;" you're talking about changing EVERYTHING, from keeping whatever (if any) job she might have, maternity leave (which isn't guaranteed,) childcare (assuming she HAS a job to attend after the birth,) schooling, feeding, clothing, etc. Raising a child isn't a change of lifestyle, it's a completely DIFFERENT lifestyle, one which not everyone who has casual sex (which is a LOT of people, surprise) or is raped (since, by your moral guidelines, there is no difference) is prepared to undertake.

That said, I think we could agree abortion should not be used as a form of birth control. An abortion should be a thoroughly vetted decision, one that I would hope comes with some moral distress and is not approached alone. If it becomes a woman's habitual "plan B," I think abortion providers should be afforded the choice to refuse her service, and she should be saddled with carrying the child to term and going through the process of coming to terms with being a parent or putting it up for adoption.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Literal "life," as in the body functioning at its most basic, biological levels, i.e.: breathing, heart beating, nipples getting hard when it's cold, etc., and "lifestyle" being what one chooses to do with themselves while they're busy breathing, their heart's beating and they're coyly covering rock-hard nipples. You ok with that?
Yes, I am okay with that.

Whether that delineation makes any appreciable difference
I think it does. I think being dead and being forced to care for a child for 18 years are two wildly different things. One is life. The other is lifestyle.

one which not everyone... is prepared to undertake.
I understand that, which is why I'm not trying to make it law or force it on anyone else. I'm just saying, morally speaking, a human life has more value than a human lifestyle.

If you disagree and believe that a human lifestyle has more value than a human life, do you believe that it's okay to kill someone in order to preserve your lifestyle?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I understand that, which is why I'm not trying to make it law or force it on anyone else. I'm just saying, morally speaking, a human life has more value than a human lifestyle.

If you disagree and believe that a human lifestyle has more value than a human life, do you believe that it's okay to kill someone in order to preserve your lifestyle?
As much as you like to catch people skulking around in the grey areas of language by highlighting their poor or inexact choice of words, can you not appreciate the grey areas of life? No, I would not take a life simply so I could continue drinking and smoking with complete disregard for my liver and lungs respectively. Would I take the life of someone that was an immediate threat to my ability to have "life?" Yes. Would I prevent a life coming to fruition because my life and lifestyle are ill-prepared to raise another, needier life for the next 18 years minimum? Yes. Would it be an easy or flippant decision? No.

How many children were, by your own morality, rightly born into poverty, inopportunity, illness, suffering? How many unfit mothers took a child to term only to be unable to provide for them either by their own making or by means outside of their control? How many children suffer in foster programs because, despite the loud "pro-life" voices, so few actually step up to BACK up what they advocate? Abortion is not a good or bad choice, though it can do done for the right or wrong reasons. If I were a pregnant woman who knew I would not be able to provide a life I deem worthy for a child, I absolutely would opt to terminate it before it gains any semblance of consciousness versus giving it away to a system or institution in the hopes it find it's own way, or worse, staring a raggedy and starving 2-year-old child in the face with resentment.

In your utopia, yes, every child is carried to term by a loving and wedded man-woman couple and God is on speed dial to clearly state his directives should you have any concerns. But, surprise, life is imperfect. Humans are imperfect. Despite his overt presence in the Bible, God's been relatively radio silent for millennia. Humans make bad decisions, but we are also gifted the will to make up for and correct them, and sometimes that means ending an unfortunate situation before it becomes a worse one; if that entails terminating a blob of a few "nothing" cells before it becomes billions of cells asking for bail money for the third time in a year, so be it.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Would I prevent a life coming to fruition
According to the definition that life begins at conception, that would mean abstinence, or (certain types of) contraception. Not abortion.
Abortion would be "taking a life simply so [you] could continue drinking and smoking...", the thing you said that you wouldn't do.

How many children were, by your own morality, rightly born into poverty, inopportunity, illness, suffering? How many unfit mothers took a child to term only to be unable to provide for them either by their own making or by means outside of their control? How many children suffer in foster programs because, despite the loud "pro-life" voices, so few actually step up to BACK up what they advocate?
A ton, I'm sure. But if we agree that life is more important/valuable than lifestyle, then the choice is clear.

Humans make bad decisions, but we are also gifted the will to make up for and correct them, and sometimes that means ending an unfortunate situation before it becomes a worse one; if that entails terminating a blob of a few "nothing" cells before it becomes billions of cells asking for bail money for the third time in a year, so be it.
What's the difference? Seems like you'd have to define the "blob" as 'not a life' or 'not a person', and then that would mean you'd have to draw that line somewhere else, and then you'd have to justify why you draw that line there as opposed to a little further. And then you might get called out for it being arbitrary, or for being a murderer by people who put the line a little further back than you do.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
According to the definition that life begins at conception...
Is that a "definition" anywhere outside of opinion? Because I'll offer that it's not. Unless we want to move the goal posts back even further and consider sperm cells and ova "lives" and hence wet dreams and every menstrual cycle completed without fertilization cases of involuntary manslaughter? As far as I know, we've not the technology to grow a fetus outside of a woman's womb making it effectively a part of HER body until it reaches a stage at which a premature birth can be sustained outside of it which is generally past the point voluntary abortion is an ethical option. So no, I'd opine that life does NOT begin at conception. Unless the sesame seed-sized mole on my shoulder is a life? Pretty sure it lives off of "my" body, and were I to remove it, it would "die."

But if we agree that life is more important/valuable than lifestyle, then the choice is clear.
We don't agree. I don't so flippantly distinguish "life" from "lifestyle," recognizing that one does not exist without the other, though I condescended and distinctly defined the two separately for your semantic purposes. You seem to be of the mindset that "lifestyle" is just a choice, and I'd offer in rebuttal that there are millions of people around the world in shit positions NOT by choice. Unless the solution is so easy as a ban on sex for the poor, hungry and infirm?

What's the difference? Seems like you'd have to define the "blob" as 'not a life' or 'not a person', and then that would mean you'd have to draw that line somewhere else, and then you'd have to justify why you draw that line there as opposed to a little further. And then you might get called out for it being arbitrary, or for being a murderer by people who put the line a little further back than you do.
See above. Also, the arbitrary line you're alluding to is fairly clearly defined; though cases differ from state to state, country to country, generally voluntary abortions are rare post the 12 week mark. I don't think anyone advocating the "choice" side of this debate (as defined by your thread title) thinks late third trimester abortions should be a thing...

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The life, here on Earth began roughly a few billion years ago.

The organ in which personhood so-to-speak "resides" is a brain.
So if you ask me, we can speak of a "person" once the nervous system have developed, and neurons are sending impulses.

I'm not a biologist so i can't be precise about a "cutoff" moment, i'll leave that to scientists.

Above opinion is of a person without an uterus.

Yeah, which is why God would be there, so that man's fallibility and selfishness wouldn't be an issue.
One could argue that God chooses to stay in Heaven, because he fears what he's createdhe is okay with people figuring out stuff by themselves.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Is that a "definition" anywhere outside of opinion?
No, just my opinion. So far it's been a premise that people have been assuming for the sake of argument.

. Unless we want to move the goal posts back even further and consider sperm cells and ova "lives"
Why would we want to do that? By any scientific definition, they clearly aren't, anymore than unfertilized chicken eggs are.

My definition at least has a scientific basis. For example, one theory on Wikipedia "Life" article says "an organizational unit resting on four pillars/cornerstones: (i) energy, (ii) metabolism, (iii) information and (iv) form. "

sperm, unfertilized chicken eggs, and moles do not satisfy these requirements.

And before you try to argue that I am not correctly applying this definition, the author of this definition wrote in his book that fetuses are alive.

You seem to be of the mindset that "lifestyle" is just a choice
I am not.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yes, I did miss that, because you edited it in after I started writing my reply.
Hey, fair enough. I thought I added that in there quick enough but I guess I didn't.

I am not.
I feel like you've done very little to imply otherwise.

I'm gonna repeat that it sounds like you're not effectively implying otherwise. Because while you do not view someone having to come to full term with a child as a punishment, in very real world scenarios (Arranged marriages, rape, abusive spouses that forces the matter lest he harms her for trying to get away, women in 3rd world countries that are seen as property and not people, etc) it can absolutely be seen as a punishment. These are examples that I used that are devoid of foresight as well, yet they're treated the same way as examples where foresight is potentially cast aside, like premarital sex for example.

As Xprimentyl stated, women might not be in a scenario that puts them in these difficult positions by choice. They might not have the means to get out of it or change it, for a myriad of reasons. Lack of money, threats of harm from someone they should trust, or even having to care for other people like fellow family members. Circumstances are not always flowery and perfect like in your fantasy world. Yet your words seem to imply that it doesn't matter.

You don't make a worse position better by adding more fuel to the flames

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Is it me or is it weird just how often these discussions become inherently Christian?

Like, Judaism has a simple and clear cut method for determining when a fetus becomes a people: a soul enters the body upon their first breath. Ergo, if it's never breathed...

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I feel like you've done very little to imply otherwise.
I'm gonna repeat that it sounds like
it can absolutely be seen as
I care about "is" or "is not". I don't care about "implies" or "sounds like" or "seen as"
If I'm in charge of this hypothetical world, and if I'm saying it's not a punishment, then it's not a punishment, regardless of what it "seems like".

If it was a punishment, people would be in jail

Circumstances are not always flowery and perfect like in your fantasy world. Yet your words seem to imply that it doesn't matter.
I am aware, but you are correct, it doesn't matter.
It is not morally permissible to kill an innocent life. That's the beginning and end of the logic.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I care about "is" or "is not". I don't care about "implies" or "sounds like" or "seen as"
If I'm in charge of this hypothetical world, and if I'm saying it's not a punishment, then it's not a punishment, regardless of what it "seems like".

If it was a punishment, people would be in jail
I'm not here to debate the rules of your "fantasy world." You didn't start the thread with that hypothetical, it's only around halfway through the thread that you turned this into that. The fact of the matter is that those are the things you believe, and putting them in a hypothetical fantasy setting doesn't stop them from being exactly as they are with or without it, a fact I'm sure you're aware of.

I am aware, but you are correct, it doesn't matter.
Well, glad that's established nice and clear. The pretense you made previously that people should have to live with the consequences of their actions is more or less empty. Now that you've confirmed that even with circumstances where one individual does not consent, you don't care about how that affects them. Fuck their troubled existence all for the sake of a single life.

This is why I can never find common ground with people who believe this sort of thing... Have some compassion and care for the lives that get ruined daily for the sake of your one, all important child, born into a world and a life that's already heavily slanted against them from the instant they leave the womb

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You didn't start the thread with that hypothetical,
I also didn't say it should be illegal or say that any laws should be made to make it illegal or that anybody should switch over to my morality. I just said that I was against it.

you've confirmed that even with circumstances where one individual does not consent, you don't care about how that affects them.
I care more about preserving the life of a human being than preserving the lifestyle of a human being, yes.
I'd rather have someone live under slavery or in Guantanamo Bay, or in Auschwitz, than be dead.

This is why I can never find common ground with people who believe this sort of thing...
Say that some lunatic kidnaps you and a loved one and gives you a choice: Your loved one can either live as a slave for a period of time, or be murdered. Which fate would you rather have befall them?

Last edited:

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The difference is direct causes and indirect causes, and on top of that, things you know about and things you don't.
That seems convenient.

I mean, let's put aside personal responsibility at the moment and consider the moral responsibility to condemn. Neither of us has ever been in the position of needing an abortion anyway, and (conveniently for us) we never will, but you clearly feel a moral responsibility to condemn those who do, or to declare that they have done something immoral. Your justification for this is that they have directly caused the death of a person by removing that person from their uterus when it cannot survive outside of said uterus.

But with all the millions of children who die each year due to preventable causes, do you believe that noone is directly responsible for that? Do you believe that the people who run Apple, which has an annual revenue greater than many countries GDP, are unaware of the conditions for workers in their factories? Do you think the governments and military and paramilitary groups who wage these wars are unaware of the human cost of their actions? Do you believe that politicians who enact discriminatory policies or cut social welfare programs are ignorant of the human cost?

Do these direct responsibilities entail the same severity of criticism?

If acknowledging the responsibility for the consequences of your actions would lead to the situation where the best course of action was to lie in a hole and wait for death, then to me that says that you are living a life over which you have very little control. That is the actual defence of your actions, that no matter what choice you made the consequences would be the same. You are living under conditions which are hostile to individual moral responsibility, because there is literally no way to be a good person in a bad society.

But you have one power which this society cannot (yet) take from you, and that is your ability to know that it is wrong. Do you know that it is wrong? Are you willing to say publicly that it is wrong? Or have you already accepted its wrongness as necessary and inevitable, have you already implicitly accepted that lives must be sacrificed to maintain this society. To maintain your ability to buy iphones, to maintain the sovereign power of the nation and the institutions which you feel protect you, to maintain the family? To maintain, in short, your lifestyle.

You see where I'm getting at.

Why is to so easy to dream of a hypothetical world in which abortion is illegal, and yet so hard to dream of a world in which no child dies of the effects of poverty?

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
but you clearly feel a moral responsibility to condemn
If "condemn" merely means "thinking it's immoral", then yes. If means "publicly shaming" or something, then no, I haven't done that.

But with all the millions of children who die each year due to preventable causes, do you believe that noone is directly responsible for that?
Sometimes there are, sometimes there aren't. I'd have to be omniscient to know.

Do you believe that the people who run Apple, which has an annual revenue greater than many countries GDP, are unaware of the conditions for workers in their factories? Do you think the governments and military and paramilitary groups who wage these wars are unaware of the human cost of their actions? Do you believe that politicians who enact discriminatory policies or cut social welfare programs are ignorant of the human cost?
No, No, and No.

Do these direct responsibilities entail the same severity of criticism?
Yes. "That's immoral". There, now we're at the same level of criticism.
I have, by the way, spoken against discriminatory policies, here on these forums, in the past. For example, affirmative action.

If acknowledging the responsibility for the consequences of your actions would lead to the situation where the best course of action was to lie in a hole and wait for death, then to me that says that you are living a life over which you have very little control.
That depends on how broadly or narrowly you define "the consequences of your actions". If one were to buy an iPhone, would they be guilty of the same crimes that Apple has committed? If one were to live in a country, vote, pay taxes, etc, would they be guilty of the crimes of their government or politicians?

That was my entire point. Each of us contributes to the world in small ways and each action has a impact, for better or worse. Have you researched EVERYTHING you buy to make sure it wasn't made with slave labor or conflict minerals? That it was sustainably harvested? That it was "fair trade" certified? Are your taxes funding the military industrial complex? Should you move to some place without a standing army,? How are you going to get there without depleting the ozone? My point was that if you spent all the time and energy needed to make sure that you weren't the least bit morally culpable for anything bad, you'd go crazy. That's when you would lay down and die.

Nobody has that level of control. Nobody can be 100% morally clean.

But you have one power which this society cannot (yet) take from you, and that is your ability to know that it is wrong. Do you know that it is wrong? Are you willing to say publicly that it is wrong?
Yes, and yes.

Or have you already accepted its wrongness as necessary and inevitable, have you already implicitly accepted that lives must be sacrificed to maintain this society
That's exactly what Elvis and Xprimentyl have been saying: "it would completely change up the woman's lifestyle! We can't have that!"

One can buy an iPhone and say "I know it's wrong, but....."
Can one have an abortion and say "I know it's wrong, but...."?

Because my debate partners have not joined me in agreeing that abortion is wrong. We can all readily agree that we share a certain amount of moral culpability for purchasing modern electronics, however.

If they were to say "Yes, abortion is wrong, BUT we need it to maintain society!" then we would have nothing to argue over.

Why is to so easy to dream of a hypothetical world in which abortion is illegal, and yet so hard to dream of a world in which no child dies of the effects of poverty?
It's equally easy.