The age of Sonic-fanbase

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
How old are the Sonic-fans on average?

Sonic the Hedgehog has somewhat the image of a franchise that was really good at first, but got worse and worse and now sustains itself with nostalgia-value.
Now, whether this is true or not, and whether there have been good Sonic-games recently is not what I'm asking here.
I've enjoyed some Sonic-games, but haven't really played all of them, especially the most recent ones, but I'm not that familiar with the Sonic-fanbase.

I know kids who weren't even born when the first Sonic-game came out, but who played and liked some of the more recent Sonic-games, but didn't really became fans of the franchise itself. Some did.

And I know many people who were fans of the first ones, but lost interest in the franchise, (and in some cases, games in general).

So what I'd like to know is, how big part of Sonic-fans became fans because of the older games? Have the more recent ones managed to bring in new fans who'd want to buy more Sonic-games and even play the old ones?

I guess the animated series and other related media and merchandice would also get new fans interested?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Will be 32 in March...

I still remember the first Sonic, how excited I was, made SURE my parents knew, for Christmas, to get the Genesis with "the little blue man running off a green ramp in the corner of the box;" this was the iteration of the Gensis that had Sonic the Hedgehog as a pack-with! The speed, the loop-the-loops, the familiar cocky scowl on Sonic's face. It was awesome

I was a steady fan through Sonic & Knuckles, including Sonic CD. But when the N64 hit the scene, it was the last console to get my attention before I stopped gaming completely for a while. Then the GTA III/Vice City double pack appeared on the then new Microsoft console Xbox and I saw how far games had come in a relatively short period: "Wait, that guy just stole a car, ran over a dozen pedestrians, killed a pursuing cop, and now a woman just jumped in the passenger's seat, they pulled into a dark alley and... no fucking way..."

Despite being blown away by how ADULT games had gotten, I was immediately nostalgic for my Sonic days. I followed up, but saw how much of a joke the little guy'd become, a hanger-on trying to compete with the likes of iconic staples like Mario and Zelda while Sega committed mistake after mistake, not only with Sonic, but the company as a whole. As a gamer who remembers a time when the biggest debates on the schoolyard were "who'd win in a fight between Freddy and Jason" and "which system is better SNES or Genesis," it was a sad day to see Sonic appear in a Nintendo game; it was like witnessing the end of a war between mortal enemies with the loser being consigned to the servitude of the winner.

I wasn't willing to go back and try the later games to form my own opinion, but I do own the Genesis Collection for the 360 and was relieved to see the face I rememebr so fondly from my youth gracing the cover and his first three (and BEST) games all packed within. THAT'S how I choose to remember him.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Hmm... I tried to delve into the mind of a sonic fan.

...I'm making another fan original character tomorrow. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Serious response.

Honestly, I don't really know. Sonic has always tried to appeal to children as well as old time fans. My 5 year old brother is a sonic fan anyways. However, considering many people think the "best" sonic games were the first ones up to S3&K, and with websites like sonic-cult there is definately an adult fanbase too. But I can't get an average to be honest.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm not really a sonic fan, I'm just one of the many folks who loved the gensis games but I really can't call myself a fan based on that. Still, I'm 23, will be 24 in a couple of months.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Dreiko said:
I'm not really a sonic fan, I'm just one of the many folks who loved the gensis games but I really can't call myself a fan based on that.
Yeah, I really love Sonic Adventure 2, and have played few other games, but can't really call myself a fan of the franchise, in that I'm not really following what games are coming out, or much care.

Every few years I feel like trying some of them out, but then just go back to Adventure 2 to try to improve my scores.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fishyash said:
Hmm... I tried to delve into the mind of a sonic fan.

...I'm making another fan original character tomorrow. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Serious response.

Honestly, I don't really know. Sonic has always tried to appeal to children as well as old time fans. My 5 year old brother is a sonic fan anyways. However, considering many people think the "best" sonic games were the first ones up to S3&K, and with websites like sonic-cult there is definately an adult fanbase too. But I can't get an average to be honest.
You'll like this:

skip to one minute in, though.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I like the Sonic games... well, excluding everything between Sonic Heroes and the new Sonic Generations. That is the dark age of Sonic Team's evil deed.
I'm 21.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I remember reading threads on Newgrounds.com wherein the 13 year old fans were crusading against heathens who dared question Sonic's sexual orientation.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
I'm 16 and a bit of a Sonic fanboy. I got into the series with Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Heroes, so I bought all of the other Gamecube titles (Including Mega Collection, which is why I can say that S3&K Is the best Sonic game). Also for some odd reason I actually enjoyed Sonic '06 and Unleashed quite a lot when they were released, only buying them because I enjoyed previous games.

So in short, Sonic's only surviving because of nostalgia, but we knew that already. Hopefully Sonic Team have realised their mistakes and will continue making great games after Sonic Generations and actually gain more fans.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I loved the old games on the Mega Drive but as soon as they got voices, I hated it. I bought Generations on the steam sale as kind of an 'okay sonic last chance' kind of thing.

I always preferred Mario when I was young.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Fishyash said:
You'll like this:

skip to one minute in, though.
I got great idea from watching the amazing sonic colab. I am glad you understand my inspirations and how much effort it takes into creating a true work of art.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am a participant of this sad fanbase :(

I am 22.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I grew up with the Genesis ones. Why do I enjoy the Dreamcast ones more?

Also, 21 nearing 22.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
22, though I feel more like an outsider these days, I don't seem to move with the flow of fans, hell most of them nowadays seem to preach that the sonic adventure story lines were good. Da fug. (actually that said I read the fleetway comic version of sonic adventure, or at least what little was done, I thought that was an awesome explanation of how sonics eyes changed, just sayin.)

I do not follow that vein of thought, Sonic Generations was a welcome addition to my steam sale collection so I can now put myself back in with the 'interested outsider' crowd. I just don't think Sonic needs some EPIC sweeping storyline arc monstrosity, he's a little blue hedgehog with a bunch of woodland friends, that needs to stay simple to let what he does be considered cool. Otherwise it's just another vomited up fanfiction where shit gets bananas and sonic barely bats an eyelid. Dumb.

Never made a fan character even though I can draw, it's kinda lame (sorry), despise most of the characters outside the trinity of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, and generally haven't been enthused about Sonic since Sonic 3D. Until sonic colours came out and put a little smile on my face. That was the "Okay, pretty good guys... let's see what you do from here..."

Sonic Generations was the full blown "Okay Sonic Team, I'm with you now, now expand on this gameplay further and do something magical again."

The reason I stay on board with the news of Sonic games is the music, Sonic Team's sound is so uniquely awesome, that despite a shit game it's almost enough to make me want to play it just to feel good playing something to the music.
Generations did it right with a liquid dose of nostalgia to sweeten the deal.

But mostly 'Sonic fan' equates to 'Did not have Nintendo as a child, had Sega instead'

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
18 years old, Loved the Genesis games.

Loved the gameboy and DS games plus Sonic Colors/Generations we're pretty good.

Back in the old days I think you could of gotten me to buy anything with Sonic on it. Now I'm just in it for the games.

Plus I hate Sonic X if that counts for anything

Dec 14, 2009
24 here. I was obsessed with the franchise while growing up. As soon as the 3D games started, I sort of trailed off. (I didn't have a Dreamcast when the original Sonic Adventures was released, although I really wanted it.)

Bought Sonic Generations the other week.

First reunion I've had with the old boy in a long time.

I hope Sonic Team take the praise for the that game to heart.

We don't need horrible extra characters, angsty teen plot and Shadow the goddamn fucking GARRGHH!!!

[HEADING=1]Don't want Shadow![/HEADING]

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
24 here. I was obsessed with the franchise while growing up. As soon as the 3D games started, I sort of trailed off. (I didn't have a Dreamcast when the original Sonic Adventures was released, although I really wanted it.)

We don't need horrible extra characters, angsty teen plot and Shadow the goddamn fucking GARRGHH!!!

I think that the problem with sonic for a while was that the story was taking itself to seriously I don't have a problem with the characters themselves though

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm going to be 20 this year. Played pretty much all of the main games in the series (although Sonic CD was only recently due to it only coming on XBLA recently).

Loved the Genesis and Dreamcast games and liked most of the rest. I also liked the old TV show as well. Not a big fan of the fanbase though. I've seen people complain about what colour his eyes are amongst other things. I know that those sort of people are (probably) in the minority but they're the vocal ones.

Sonic has definitely had his problems, but it does look like Sonic Team is starting to get back to their best.

Oh, and the music has always been awesome.

Dec 14, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I think that the problem with sonic for a while was that the story was taking itself to seriously I don't have a problem with the characters themselves though
They should have taken the Mario route.

Barebones plot. Almost silent protagonist, and concentrate totally on the gameplay.

I don't play Sonic for the story, I play it for the adrenaline rush.