The Agent Carter Teaser Does Not Suck

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Agent Carter Teaser Does Not Suck

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/AgentCarterTV/status/527272811669123072]

The first teaser for the new ABC series has landed, and you can watch it right now.

Yesterday, Marvel made the Internet's face melt with a spectacular infodrop that included its an extended preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed] of Avengers: Age of Ultron. And tucked into all of that was the release of the first official teaser for Agent Carter, which you'll notice you can watch right here.

When I had the chance to talk to the show's producers during San Diego Comic Con last summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11986-How-Marvel-s-Agent-Carter-Might-Cover-Decades-Of-History] , not a single scene of Marvel's Agent Carter had been shot. Even so, what I heard at the time blew me away.

The Agent Carter production staff talked about not only the show's strong feminist themes* and possible tie-ins to Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. They also discussed the striking possibility that if the miniseries is a success, episodes produced beyond the initial order of 8 may jump around throughout Agent Carter's career with SHIELD. That would allow the show to explore different eras from her perspective, giving greater context to the MCU and pulling off some social commentary at the same time.

But back in July, the show had yet to begin filming and only the pilot episode had been written. A lot can go wrong from conception to execution, especially on television. So however exciting the show sounded, that's all there was to it - sound. Fast forward to today. Yeah, it's short, almost content free. But it looks gorgeous. I especially like the subtle airbrush effect that makes it look almost noir-ish, or at least like vintage television. Definitely evocative of the late 1940s period in which it's set.

We'll have to wait a bit longer to know if the show is good, but I think I can say this: if it's anything like the cold open to the season premier of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - which you'll notice Marvel has also released online - I suspect we're going to be happy. But enough about me, what do you think? Sound off in comments.

Meanwhile, here's the official synopsis:

It's 1946 and peace has dealt Peggy a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy finds herself stuck doing administrative work when she would rather be back out in the field; putting her vast skills into play and taking down the bad guys. But she is also trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life, Steve Rogers - aka Captain America.

When old acquaintance Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper, Marvel's "Captain America: The First Avenger") finds himself being framed for unleashing his deadliest weapons to anyone willing to pony up the cash, he contacts Peggy - the only person he can trust - to track down those responsible, dispose of the weapons and clear his name. He empowers his butler, Edwin Jarvis (James D'Arcy, "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"), to be at her beck and call when needed to help assist her as she investigates and tracks down those responsible for releasing these weapons of mass destruction. But Jarvis, who is a creature of habit and sticks to a rigid daily routine, is going to have to make some major life changes if he's going to be able to keep up with Peggy.

If caught going on these secret missions for Stark, Peggy could be targeted as a traitor and spend the rest of her days in prison - or worse. And as she delves deeper into her investigation, she may find that those she works for are not who they seem, and she might even begin to question whether Stark is as innocent as he claims.

* Before anyone argues, there is literally no other way to describe a show that makes the fact that a woman post-WWII was not afforded an equal measure of respect by male peers in any field a central plot point.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
"Sometimes the best man for the job - is a woman"

Sheesh marketing department. You make it sound so ground-breaking (which it might have been in the 40's 50's, but not to today's audience).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DUM DUM DUGAN IS A MAIN CHARACTER! YES!

Okay, I'm sold.

EDIT: Hopefully he will get to fight Godzilla eventually XD

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Fappy said:

Okay, I'm sold.

Where do you see that? My hope all along was that the Howling Commandos would get a TV series, but the synopsis makes it sound more like Agent Carter is mostly working solo with a handler/partner ala Bond. I don't see Dum Dum Degan in that little video teaser either.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Oh wow, a new trailer for Agent Carter, i've seen literally nothing of this show but would love to find out more. Let me just... press play...

THE UPLOADER HAS NOT MADE THIS VIDEO AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY

Hmmm...

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Kmadden2004 said:
Oh wow, a new trailer for Agent Carter, i've seen literally nothing of this show but would love to find out more. Let me just... press play...

Hmmm...
Dammit, Hydra!

Also, sorry. The arbitrary restrictions online are the worst.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

This is always especially irritating to me because I live within walking distance of the Canada/US border. I could take my bike out for a day trip to the States and be home by supper, but apparently that's not close enough >_<

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Looks interesting - though, it seems that the youtube vid cannot be outside of the US :(

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Supahewok said:
Fappy said:

Okay, I'm sold.

Where do you see that? My hope all along was that the Howling Commandos would get a TV series, but the synopsis makes it sound more like Agent Carter is mostly working solo with a handler/partner ala Bond. I don't see Dum Dum Degan in that little video teaser either.
The video in the article? Dum Dum is clearly there with her and has several lines :/

Guy with the mustache and the hat.

EDIT: The youtube clip, not the one int he twitter post.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
Kmadden2004 said:

Hmmm...
Dammit, Hydra!

Also, sorry. The arbitrary restrictions online are the worst.
It's okay, I forgive you.

But just this once...

;)

Yuiiut

Jun 9, 2014
Kmadden2004 said:

Hmmm...
Same here, but it sounds like it was the cold open to Agents of Shield Episode 1 Seasons 2-if you can access that somehow, it'll be the first part of that episode.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Fappy said:
Supahewok said:
Fappy said:

Okay, I'm sold.

The video in the article? Dum Dum is clearly there with her and has several lines :/

Guy with the mustache and the hat.

EDIT: The youtube clip, not the one int he twitter post.
Ah, I see. That's actually from the first episode of Agents of Shield. It may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with the Agent Carter show. I'm sure he'll be a guest star in one episode, but there's currently no indication about whether he'll be a "main character." Mind you, it would make my day if he is. But there isn't at this time any evidence that I'm aware of that he'll show up at all.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
The bad guys acting was wooden and the props all look chinzy and fake, but I'm VERY happy the Howling Commandos are around; seems a shame to cast and drop them when they've only gotten about an hour total screen time. All the good-guy dialogue is solid, so as long as we don't have TOO much focus on the less-developed parts of the show, it'll be great.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
webkilla said:
Looks interesting - though, it seems that the youtube vid cannot be outside of the US :(
I can view it in the UK. Probably not helpful for you though...

OT It looks good, and I think that the period style of it will work to it's advantage, but I hope this isn't the end for Agents of Shield. Against all logic I've developed a soft spot for that show...

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
"SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB... IS A WOMANZZZ!?!?!?"

... You mean like Nikita? Or Homeland? Or Once Upon a Time? Or Covert Affairs? Or Veronica Mars? Or Deep Space 9? Or Metroid? Or Alien? Or Wonder Woman? Or- you get the point. Speaking of Nikita, Lyndsy Fonseca, who played Alexandra Udinov on Nikita, is going to have a recurring role in Agent Carter. It's always nice seeing good actors getting more roles, especially in things you like. :)

On a side-note, "THE UPLOADER HAS NOT MADE THIS VIDEO AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY." Yeah, gee, thanks, you're doing a great job getting me pumped up for your new TV show from my remote abode in the distant vast wilderness of Toronto, Ontario, Canada...

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
I realize this is a TV pilot teaser, but that is the worst German I have ever heard. It's cartoony. Germans, even the evil ones in Hydra, don't all have super thick and constricted accents, like they're trying to out-angry R. Lee Ermey while wearing a corset three sizes too small and gripping eggs between their knees without breaking them.