The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Wait.. what's web3 again? It's something cringe, isn't it? I bet it's web2.0 +1 and the +1 is cryptofuckery. Shit, 2.0 was only "hey, internet but now enough people have broadband we can use video more"
In simple terms Web2.0 was a name for how 20 odd years ago the web evolved to be interactive rather than just being a collection of static sites for people to read.

Web3.0 however... 🤷‍♂️

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't normally indulge in shadenfreude, but in this case I am sooo happy cryptobros are going to lose everything. I have an uncle in crypto, and he's absolutely one of those "smartest man in the room who always laugh derisively when anyone asks him a question" types of guys. Just insufferable and usually completely wrong.
Crypto was always just a Ponzi scheme and it feels good to see it collapse.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't normally indulge in shadenfreude, but in this case I am sooo happy cryptobros are going to lose everything. I have an uncle in crypto, and he's absolutely one of those "smartest man in the room who always laugh derisively when anyone asks him a question" types of guys. Just insufferable and usually completely wrong.
Crypto was always just a Ponzi scheme and it feels good to see it collapse.
Well, yes, but then all the money they lost presumably ended up in some other cryptobros' pockets. The Lord taketh, and the Lord giveth back.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, yes, but then all the money they lost presumably ended up in some other cryptobros' pockets. The Lord taketh, and the Lord giveth back.
Mostly.

But there is also minting (mining rigs, electricity) , hosting (for NFTs, but also exchanges, wallets), developer costs (for exchanges and other webtools, various bots, security) and advertising.

The crypto sector is continually bleeding money and otherwise moving money back and forth but investors expect profit. It is bound to collapse sooner or later.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
...I woke up to this
Most NFTs are really shitty art to begin with. These are just some really lazy photoshop jobs that you would expect from a teenage edgelord trying to teach himself how to use photoshop.

Still, just like Trump to jog sweating and huffing behind the bandwagon, even after it's already gone off a cliff.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
This makes my blood hurt.
I'm reminded of that line from True Detective. "Buncha people who would rather put a coin in the wishing well than pay for dinner."

I wonder how many of them are having buyer's remorse upon finding out what an NFT actually is.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I will say, I am glad the quality of these NFTs is so bad and Trump is so fucking lazy he absolutely never looked at these images. Otherwise he would have noticed the horrible compression that Trump Tower is now...rump towel.
Donald Trump. Asswipe.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This makes my blood hurt.
I'm reminded of that line from True Detective. "Buncha people who would rather put a coin in the wishing well than pay for dinner."

I wonder how many of them are having buyer's remorse upon finding out what an NFT actually is.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
What does "no purchase necessary, void where prohibited" mean?
If I'm remembering correctly, laws in the US prevent contest runners from making a purchase the only way to enter a contest. Most contests let you do a really tedious write-in thing to get an entry.

"Void where prohibited" is just boilerplate legalese, so that places where your contest is illegal can't sue you for letting one of their citizens enter.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States