The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its just money laundering, and most charities and foundations are just money laundering fronts. PETA puts thousands of animals down rather than rehome them, and it just money laundering for Hollywood liberals who pretend to care about animals. Habitat for Humanity spends more money on salaries and bonuses than it does on building habitats. The Child Wish foundation stopped granting wishes and just takes in their tax-free donations. The American Breast Cancer foundation spends more on promotion than it does on cancer research.

Its not a shock at all that foundations and charities would jump on the NFT scam train.
PETA I already knew about a long time ago. The American Breast Cancer Foundation, doesn't shock me in the slightest. I forgot Habitat Of Humanity even existed. I think the last time I ever donated something to the Child Wish...was let's see...2008?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Well, they both better start paying attention now. Both of them are smarter than that, and they know it. Troy Baker sure as hell knew what he was doing, and decided to back pedal when when the voices were really loud and super angry. He sure as hell pussed out and acted like a weenie about it after the fact. The egotistical douche.
Hasn't there been a couple of times where Baker's immediate reaction to a controversy was to come out of the gate super aggro and then immediately have to walk it back because he was provably wrong. He might just be a dickhead.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Also Brie Larson apparently.

Fucking dipshit actors man.
This isn't a Brie Larson only problem, but I sometimes get the sense actors playing smart people so often they start to think they're smart people irl. And I doubt that misplaced assumption is helped by the millions they take in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also Brie Larson apparently.
Fucking dipshit actors man.
I found out on Jane Sterling's recent video . I was neutral towards Larson at the time, but now she's on my shit list.

Hasn't there been a couple of times where Baker's immediate reaction to a controversy was to come out of the gate super aggro and then immediately have to walk it back because he was provably wrong. He might just be a dickhead.
There is no might, he is a dick head. A douchey dick head, that loves the smell of his own farts. I thought nothing wrong of the guy at the time, but that started changing when everything involved with you know what game at this point. About the mushrooms zombies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This isn't a Brie Larson only problem, but I sometimes get the sense actors playing smart people so often they start to think they're smart people irl. And I doubt that misplaced assumption is helped by the millions they take in.
That's basically Steven Seagal's entire career. Probably The biggest loser with the biggest ego in Hollywood. Also, he's a sex offender and likes going after teenage girls. Stay clear. I can't even bother watching his old movies from the early to mid '90s anymore.

Reactions: SilentPony

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm guessing these actors are thinking they're jumping on the next hip internet thing, not knowing nearly everyone fucking hates this shit, because they're from Hollywood so they're completely out of touch.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My question is why did it take this long for people to start giving the side-eye to NFTs? I mean, that they were able to become a thing at all is mind-boggling enough, but that it took more than a minute to call bullshit on them is another thing. I can see paying to name a star after someone you love, or buying a square foot of land in Scotland to receive the title of "Lord" or "Lady" is dumb, romantic fun, but NFTs are literally nothing.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
My question is why did it take this long for people to start giving the side-eye to NFTs? I mean, that they were able to become a thing at all is mind-boggling enough, but that it took more than a minute to call bullshit on them is another thing. I can see paying to name a star after someone you love, or buying a square foot of land in Scotland to receive the title of "Lord" or "Lady" is dumb, romantic fun, but NFTs are literally nothing.
Actually I think people were generally aware of the scam early on. NFT bros have always been a very tight knit, incestous group who convinced themselves the unpopularity of NFTs meant it was good idea because of how smart they view themselves and how dumb they think everyone else is. The problem was no one was really willing to buy them, so they ran fake auctions and lied about NFTs being stolen. They would sell their NFT to their own sockpuppet accounts to give the illusion of sales and value.
And the same arrogant "smartest man in the room" techno bros in the gaming industry fell for it, convinced there is an actual NFT stock market. And looped back around to the idea NFTs are too smart for us dumb dumbs to understand. It was a self perpetuating house of cards, while a few big money names ran off with the money.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
It becomes a $2.9m receipt for a dead link? Or the same answer as "What happened to your games on Desura or Greenhouse?"
I love hearing Desura pop back into convos every once in a while.
Now, technically, you could embed a digital artwork directly into an NFT, instead of embedding a link to where to find it. But that would make the gas fees much much higher as they're based on the amount of data in question. Which is why no one does that, and instead just sticks a plain old web link there.
Which is what I've been wondering about NFTs and why most people just jam a link in there. I can't really find any information on it, but do you have a general explanation of or a link explaining how much the fee goes up with size?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I love hearing Desura pop back into convos every once in a while.Which is what I've been wondering about NFTs and why most people just jam a link in there. I can't really find any information on it, but do you have a general explanation of or a link explaining how much the fee goes up with size?
It's not so direct. Blockchains follow a formula and have a data limit that you can store on them. All blocks right now only have some bytes of info you can put on them, maybe a few kilobytes. So to put a full sized image on the blockchain, you have to invent a block that's bigger. And yes, the data on the block is part of the values to be calculated for proof of transfer, which is the whole point of doing blockchains, so by definition it will increase the computation time.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm guessing these actors are thinking they're jumping on the next hip internet thing, not knowing nearly everyone fucking hates this shit, because they're from Hollywood so they're completely out of touch.
It seems a lot of the actors are represented/controlled (I'm not sure how this relationship works) by CAA, which is an investor in OpenSea. It's just a contribution to the pyramid. I mean, otherwise why are they all telling us about the NFTs they've just bought? They don't bother telling us who their mortgage is with or what pants they wear (unless these products are also being sold at the time).

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It seems a lot of the actors are represented/controlled (I'm not sure how this relationship works) by CAA, which is an investor in OpenSea. It's just a contribution to the pyramid. I mean, otherwise why are they all telling us about the NFTs they've just bought? They don't bother telling us who their mortgage is with or what pants they wear (unless these products are also being sold at the time).
I suspect a lot of actors have little idea about anything.

I doubt they think up this stuff for themselves. Their manager / agent does, they nod along, and then go back to whatever idle pursuits they get up to when not standing in front a blue screen.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Actually I think people were generally aware of the scam early on. NFT bros have always been a very tight knit, incestous group who convinced themselves the unpopularity of NFTs meant it was good idea because of how smart they view themselves and how dumb they think everyone else is. The problem was no one was really willing to buy them, so they ran fake auctions and lied about NFTs being stolen. They would sell their NFT to their own sockpuppet accounts to give the illusion of sales and value.
And the same arrogant "smartest man in the room" techno bros in the gaming industry fell for it, convinced there is an actual NFT stock market. And looped back around to the idea NFTs are too smart for us dumb dumbs to understand. It was a self perpetuating house of cards, while a few big money names ran off with the money.
And this is what frustrates me about the modern era: people are quick to give financial weight to nonsense just to be at the ground level of new shit that hasn't been vetted for its viability. NFTs just happen to be one of the grossest examples of it. I understand people who feel they missed out on Amazon or Apple when they were in their infancy and cheap, but NFTs are literally NOTHING at all. What return can anyone expect from them that they should ever have been a thing? Urgh, sometimes I hate humanity. Not enough to hatch an evil, genocidal plan, but certainly enough to look at most people and wish they were dogs so their living would serve at least SOME purpose aside from breathing my air and eating my food.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And this is what frustrates me about the modern era: people are quick to give financial weight to nonsense just to be at the ground level of new shit that hasn't been vetted for its viability. NFTs just happen to be one of the grossest examples of it. I understand people who feel they missed out on Amazon or Apple when they were in their infancy and cheap, but NFTs are literally NOTHING at all. What return can anyone expect from them that they should ever have been a thing? Urgh, sometimes I hate humanity. Not enough to hatch an evil, genocidal plan, but certainly enough to look at most people and wish they were dogs so their living would serve at least SOME purpose aside from breathing my air and eating my food.
NFTs, at least how the original inventors saw it, are the ultimate greater fool scam. Its all about convincing the next mark that this jpeg of a cool monkey is worth $40,000. They then buy the jpeg, and have to convince the NEXT mark its worth $45,000, and so on and so on. You hope to not be the last man standing when the music finally stops, and its looking like the music is slowing down.
and because average mooks like you and me knew it was bullshit in the first place, a lot of NFT sales were dudes selling to themselves and buying from themselves to make it look like there's a market.
People who actually thought it was a ground zero for a new product were the ultimate marks, because they were never smart enough to realize it was a scam just being pushed onto the next buyer.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And yet these cockheads would never consider spending even half that on commissioning actual physical works of art.
Its one of those things like gun ownership that I don't get where the money comes from. I know people with dozens of guns; rifles, shotguns, pistols, ARs, etc, each one between $1-5000 a piece and yet they always complain about low wages and expensive shopping. Like NFT bros want to make money, so they spend $40,000 and its like fuck, you had 40 grand saved?! Keep going! You're a great saver! You don't need an NFT, you have $40,000!

Reactions: Jarrito3002