The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's also something that can be accomplished without NFTs or the blockchain too though. Most mobile games can swap between iOS and android for example

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Comments section is going about as well as you imagine

Lol, Thesoul Publishing. They're the company behind 5 Minute Crafts, that one bs content farm that once uploaded a video full of cool hacks for kids like creating white strawberries by bleaching them with, eh, bleach.

Reactions: BrawlMan

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Lol, Thesoul Publishing. They're the company behind 5 Minute Crafts, that one bs content farm that once uploaded a video full of cool hacks for kids like creating white strawberries by bleaching them with, eh, bleach.
They keep showing up as ads on a couple sites I frequent, and one of their things is to replace a AA battery with an AAA battery by stuffing tinfoil into either side of the cavity to make the AAA battery fit in the much larger space. I don't know a lot about electronics, but I'm certain that is very dangerous in the "melt your controller" way.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They keep showing up as ads on a couple sites I frequent, and one of their things is to replace a AA battery with an AAA battery by stuffing tinfoil into either side of the cavity to make the AAA battery fit in the much larger space. I don't know a lot about electronics, but I'm certain that is very dangerous in the "melt your controller" way.

Reactions: Kwak

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Actually, as the voltage of both AA and AAA batteries is very similar (~1.5V) they should be capable of powering the same devices. A significant problem is going to be that the capacity of a AAA battery is much lower than a AA battery: AAA batteries are designed to power things with relatively low energy requirements compared to AA. So an AAA battery in an AA device will run out quickly.

As long as the aluminium foil only touches the battery end and its respective connector, it should be okay. If any of it slips and starts touching other things that conduct electricity, bad things might happen. As a desperation measure, like "I really need to use this now and the shops are shut until tomorrow", I guess it's kind of okay but you can also accept the risk something might go wrong and blow your device.

Reactions: Satinavian

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Actually, as the voltage of both AA and AAA batteries is very similar (~1.5V) they should be capable of powering the same devices. A significant problem is going to be that the capacity of a AAA battery is much lower than a AA battery: AAA batteries are designed to power things with relatively low energy requirements compared to AA. So an AAA battery in an AA device will run out quickly.

As long as the aluminium foil only touches the battery end and its respective connector, it should be okay. If any of it slips and starts touching other things that conduct electricity, bad things might happen. As a desperation measure, like "I really need to use this now and the shops are shut until tomorrow", I guess it's kind of okay but you can also accept the risk something might go wrong and blow your device.
Another similar one that's less universally true but sometimes useful (if even sketchier sounding) is that those 14500 LiOn batteries that are the same physical size as a AA can be used in place of one in some devices (but not all), given the device requires an even number of AAs, they are wired in series, you only replace half with 14500s and you just connect the terminals straight through in the spots for the other half of the batteries (there are literally false batteries that exist to do this in a slick and easily reversible fashion, they're just the shell of a AA with a piece of wire connecting the terminals inside). This works if the batteries are in series because the 14500 has roughly twice the voltage of a AA so if the batteries are in series you can just use half as many and close the circuit across the remaining battery slots. Allowing you to replace AAs with a rechargeable, more energy dense option.

It's what I do with the controllers for my WMR headset.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Another similar one that's less universally true but sometimes useful (if even sketchier sounding) is that those 14500 LiOn batteries that are the same physical size as a AA can be used in place of one in some devices (but not all), given the device requires an even number of AAs, they are wired in series, you only replace half with 14500s and you just connect the terminals straight through in the spots for the other half of the batteries (there are literally false batteries that exist to do this in a slick and easily reversible fashion, they're just the shell of a AA with a piece of wire connecting the terminals inside). This works if the batteries are in series because the 14500 has roughly twice the voltage of a AA so if the batteries are in series you can just use half as many and close the circuit across the remaining battery slots. Allowing you to replace AAs with a rechargeable, more energy dense option.

It's what I do with the controllers for my WMR headset.
I think that sounds a less sketchy than shoving baking foil in your device, especially with "dummy" batteries. At least everything will be secure. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could just use a dead battery: it will still conduct, it just generates no voltage.

I'm not familiar with 14500 LiOn batteries, but as long as the end voltage output is within the tolerance range of the device, fine. Your device should tell you the required voltage: it might give a range, or a single value. In the latter case, assume a tolerance of 10% either way is almost certainly fine. Beyond that, accept the risk.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Fuck GameStop.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I think that sounds a less sketchy than shoving baking foil in your device, especially with "dummy" batteries.
Noting stops you from using a bigger wad of foil to connect the battery terminals in this case.

I mean you can achieve the same thing by just soldreing a wire in place connecting the battery terminals, it's just more convenient and slick to use a dummy battery.

In fact, I'm pretty sure you could just use a dead battery: it will still conduct, it just generates no voltage.
You could, but long term it's a less permanent solution as it breaks down and starts to leak.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Ah, the libertarian dream: helping totalitarian autocracies rob civilians.
After speaking to many crypto bros, it seems to me that they do not truly yearn for freedom. They yearn to be the boot.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Agema