The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Or worse:

They are spiky, though will break under compression. But worse was, you didn't just on them, you'd bend over the tabletop to check line of sight and get one in the face.
Bad, but they've got nothing on the obsession on historical war gamers. Knew a dude who replaced all the blades on his pikeman minis with metal needles.

For realism

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Bad, but they've got nothing on the obsession on historical war gamers. Knew a dude who replaced all the blades on his pikeman minis with metal needles.

For realism
Huh, ok, that's going a bit far. In the Mordheim rulebook there was a conversion someone made of a rapier using a pin, and that was alarming and a one off and held horizontal. Not a bad idea, otherwise.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Or worse:

They are spiky, though will break under compression. But worse was, you didn't just on them, you'd bend over the tabletop to check line of sight and get one in the face.
That looks like some deeply impractical war clobber. Why festoon yourself with encumbering spikes that add weight and will catch on things and impede movement for no advantage whatsoever? Are you really going to "shoulder butt" someone or kick them with the side of your calf, and do you think even if you did it would be remotely effective?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That looks like some deeply impractical war clobber. Why festoon yourself with encumbering spikes that add weight and will catch on things and impede movement for no advantage whatsoever? Are you really going to "shoulder butt" someone or kick them with the side of your calf, and do you think even if you did it would be remotely effective?
"Cuz Warhammer 40000" is the answer to all of those.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think possibly it's because they are inhuman and that might actually work, but mostly because they are into the aesthetic even when it conflicts with function. I think in their first Codex people speculate on how some riders have different set-ups of spikes on their jetbikes, and "they think it looks cooler" was one suggestion.

Lelith Hesperax is explicitly stated to wear a stupid outfit when killing people to show off how good she is that she can wear a stupid outfit and still always win.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I understand that I'm a philistine, but this is no different to NFTs to my mind: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64695059. I'm sure for some people there's something more to it, but this is all just so /shrug.

I was kicked out of art class when I was 13 (that is, my art teacher refused to let me take it as a subject, even though I didn't want to anyway). Dick.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I understand that I'm a philistine, but this is no different to NFTs to my mind: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64695059. I'm sure for some people there's something more to it, but this is all just so /shrug.

I was kicked out of art class when I was 13 (that is, my art teacher refused to let me take it as a subject, even though I didn't want to anyway). Dick.
That sort of art is good for society, especially when it's worth millions, it provides rage and suffering for other struggling artists, which is often important to their work.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Baffle

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Attacking celebrity endorsers is especially feeble - that smacks of bullshit "shotgun" tactics to aim at as many people as possible in the hope at least someone's willing to pay up. If you bought a car and it doesn't work, you don't sue the firm that does the car company's advertising.
Don't know.

In a lot of legislations influencers have to disclose that they are paid for advertisement

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
If i remember correctly (i never played 40k myself) those guys are less about real war and more about raids and gladiator games, fetishise pain and are generally high on various drugs, especially in combat. I think i have seen games where their commanders had to roll for killing yourself via overdose each round or something.

Well, i just assume their fashion designers use the same drugs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Uh-huh...

"Asked what had happened to the company and its investments, Sullivan said he would respond if the Guardian flew to the Philippines to discuss it further. He criticised the Guardian for making “a number of factual errors” and said he was not being allowed an opportunity to “clarify the real facts”, and then said he could not respond to a further request for comment."

Sounds totally legit.

I particularly like the fact that its assets appear to have been sold to someone called "Dan", who has given the odd investor £100-£1000 back even though he says he's under no obligation to.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan