The Apparent Anti-Intellectualism of Gamer Culture

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Video games are defined by their gameplay. A game could have the best story I've ever seen, but if it's not fun to play, I won't buy it. Simple as that. Is that "Anti-Intellectualism"? I don't know, and frankly I don't care. Call it what you want. It's just how I judge games.

The truth is, video games are the only medium that can succeed if it has a bad story, or even no story at all. Tetris and Pac-Man are two of the most successful video game franchises of all time, and their stories solely consist of "Blocks fall down" and "Eat white dots".

I think this means that, when a game tries to go above and beyond what is necessary for a story, it gets praised for that alone regardless of how well it does it. For example, I consider "The Last of Us" one of the most overrated games of the last gen, yet some people think it's the "Citizen Kane" of video games.

As for this specific article, I don't really care. Just another person whining that their Sacred Cow group is being portrayed in a less-than-idealized way in a game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
someguy1231 said:
The truth is, video games are the only medium that can succeed if it has a bad story, or even no story at all.
Yeah...no.

Art (as in, the specific medium, not the concept), may have context to what's depicted, but can succeed without narrative (the Mona Lisa is lauded without knowing why she's smiling for instance). Poetry can succeed without narrative (e.g. it can be based on specific feeling, a specific location, etc.). Music can have narrative in it (operas, musicals, etc.), but can just as easily succeed without it, or even the lack of structure at all (e.g. jazz). Film with poor narrative can still be financially successful (e.g. Transformers), or can still succeed with minimalistic narrative if the film makes up for that in other ways (e.g. interesting camerawork, symbolism, etc.) Citing a personal example, RBG is one of the best short films I've ever seen. If I evaluated it only on narrative, then it's simple, but when you factor in the use of colour in the short, then it becomes excellent.

Now, Pac-Man and Tetris are fun to play (well, Tetris is at least, didn't play Pac-Man much), but they have more in common with sports than art, or, say, tabletop games (e.g. chess). The primary drive is in the mechanics, not in any of the five elements of story (using the five elements paradigm). I do agree that games are an art form, but they're just one of many, and I can't even say if they're my favorite art form, or that different. Tabletop games offer interactivity and the chance for stories. Choose your own adventure books offer choice over the course of a story.

I'm not knocking Pac-Man and Tetris at all, but I think it's perfectly valid to instill story elements into a game, and even have the game ride on those story elements. Adventure games, point and click, and RPGs have been doing that for ages. If anything, that a game like The Division can prompt a response like this is a good sign.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Gethsemani said:
There's a vocal minority of gamers that do not want their hobby to change, especially not in a way that would suggest that "SJWs" have had a say in how games are designed or perceived.
Video game sales numbers tend to show the exact opposite is true: those who want gaming to change in a progressive way are the vocal minority and the silent majority can't be bothered to care even after years of ideologues trying to make them do so. GTA V was the single fastest piece of media to gross a billion dollars after release, yet it's also one of the single most anti-progressive games ever made. In fact when looking at progressivism in gaming the only noteworthy thing about it in the most popular games is its absence or its being openly opposed.
Attacking someone for analyzing the ideological underpinnings of a game is not dissimilar from attacking someone for analyzing the content of a game from a feminist perspective.
I think the biggest problem, both in the case of this analysis and the vast majority done from an ideological angle, be it feminism or anything else, is that said analysis is predicated on simply whether or not the work in question perpetuates, is neutral towards or is against the ideology and has nothing to do with the quality of the work in question. Which often leads to cases where the criticism fails to have rational, compelling arguments (and in many cases leads to straight up lying about the content of media, as a certain critic in name only has consistently demonstrated).

People as a whole do not care about ideological lenses being used to interpret media, and never will. It's why apolitical reviews have always been the most popular form, both for when making purchasing decisions or for consuming the reviews as entertainment onto themselves.

OT: Yes, there is plenty of anti-intellectualism in gaming culture. While most are neutral or otherwise apathetic towards it, there are those who simply want to use the medium to push their ideology and don't like the fact that things that don't push said ideology or even which are opposed to it are the most popular. This article is just one of many examples of it in action.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
someguy1231 said:
For example, I consider "The Last of Us" one of the most overrated games of the last gen, yet some people think it's the "Citizen Kane" of video games.
That actually makes it exactly like the Citizen Kane of video games if we're being honest. It's an ok movie but it certainly did not age well and wasn't really the masterpiece many make it out to be.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
"Anti-intellectualism". Anti-soapboxing is more like it. I feel like reviews like that should focus on how effectively it tells it's story rather than what the story is about. Are the characters compelling? Does the plot stay within it's own logic? Does the plot flow well? Judging from the author's strong reaction, it probably told it's story well (I haven't played the game myself and can't know for sure).

Save the soapboxing for opinion pieces.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I don't see how these comments are anti-intellectual. Furthermore, I find it insulting that intellect would be mistaken with ideology when so often dogmatic ideology is more indicative of a lack of intelligence. By basing a review on only the thematic elements in a game and making such broad conclusions, the reviewer is more myopic than anything else. Yet to say that those disagreeing with both the thematic content and/or the weight he places on it when determining the game's worth is just literary criticism.

The problem too is that the reviewer pans the game based on his subjective understanding of morality without considering that a piece of media needs not be perfectly moral to have an effective narrative. It only shows how blinded his is by his own ideology. The game is fictional, and an objective analysis should never be tinged by one's personal thoughts.

Yet to say that those who disagree with him are stupid touches on what I believe to be a dangerous trend in criticism and society in general: that there is a correct and incorrect way to think, and if one should deviate, he shall be branded as being in the wrong and open to any insult.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
What is this thread? People be hating on books, hypothesising about tests about video games with insufficient study materials, pretending intellectuals shouldn't make value judgements and other absurdities. Maybe I should just go to bed and look at this in the morning with a fresh eye. Nah, fuck it, I'll put up my wall of text.

CritialGaming said:
I think what really causes this problem is the fact that the article is labeled as a review. There really isn't anything about the game that is reviewed here, instead it is a deep and fairly decent analysis of the setting and motives of the themes within the game and not actually the game itself. Honestly if they had tagged this article "Opinion" instead of review then those people commenting probably wouldn't be bitching.

But when they click an article that is supposed to be a review and read this high-brow analytical piece about theme and setting, it just comes off as pretentious and confuses people. Think about it this way, read that article and ask "Is this a good game? Why or Why not according to this author?" Really you can't. You can take away that the setting upset them, and made their actions, purpose, and role within the world of the game feel horrible. But can you honestly take any information from that article about the game's mechanics, how the loot works, how players gear, or progress, or even move through the game's story? Can you tell if the game runs well? Or if it has any major bugs?

No, no you can't.

Again I don't think there is anything wrong with the piece, but I don't believe that those comments are wrong to point out that this "Review" isn't really a review. At least it isn't a review of the game itself. If I was looking around the internet for a game review and came across this, I would have no information about how the game is...as a game.

And none of this would even be a problem if that article wasn't labeled as a "Review". "Opinion", "Fluff", whatever you want to call it, and it those people wouldn't have anything to say about it. But when the reader goes in expecting a certain level of information, it makes sense that when they do not get that information, they would be questioning it.
Nonsense. Things that are not labeled reviews and reviews that clearly state at the beginning that they aren't buyers guides in any way still get similar responses. In fact, the title makes it abundandly clear what you are getting into when you read this review. I refuse to believe people will respond like this merely over the confusion caused by this being called a review. Not only that but the idea that a review is a very specific thing that should include a laundry list of checkboxes is a notion that has been invented fairly recently, seems to exist mostly amongst gamers and occasionally amongst moviegoers and techreviewers, and that only serves to tell people what they can and cannot write about. The people who support this strangely rigid definition of 'review' seem unaware that a review can be a lot of things. For example:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/08/george-orwell-reviews-mein-kampf-1940.html

Review really only means 'something said about something retrospectively'.

CritialGaming said:
Imagine if you had a test about The Division, and your only study guide was that article. What could you tell me about the game?
Not a whole lot I suppose but this is purely hypotethical. In the real world people don't have tests about the division and nobody in their right mind studies for tests by using a single random review online. I'm somewhat baffled that you think this thought experiment of yours would have any relevance to anything at all. Since when is 'can be used as studying material for tests' a metric for judging any written text besides lecture notes and schoolbooks? Besides that, on the tests that I have taken about books, knowing the themes and messages of the book was a lot more useful than being able to identify genre, characters or any of that easy stuff.

Saelune said:
Personally, I think gaming as a whole is actually pro-intellectual. Ive experienced far more varied and well thought out ideas through gaming than anything else. Whether its racism through fantasy games, ethics of war in certain shooters, anti-authoritarianism/tyranny in well, most games, etc.

Sure books are fine and may help you spell out words better, but games let you experience new ideas firsthand and I think that's far stronger than reading or watching.
If you really think that you must never have read a good book. Books have some advantages due to having pages upon pages of uninterrupted text without the need for 'gameplay' and without having to be wrapped up in three hours tops (like most movies). One of these advantages is that they allow for sharing long and complicated introspection of the characters with the reader. There exist a movieversion(s?) of 1984 but they can't replace the longwinded dialoges and introspection. A game would probably do an even worse job at conveying the horror of room 101 or the surreal experience of seeing people lie to themselves than the movie. Books also allow for the explanation of some points that may not be immediately obvious from a situation itself. That and books have their own unique injokes, forthwall breaking moments and the like that are different from the way such things might be done in games.

Redd the Sock said:
Beyond that, at the risk of drawing attention: bitching about the politics of a work is surprisingly anti-intellectual. I'm sure the politics of the Division are everything every says they are, but people act like the game has less a right to make such a political point than something that affirms their values. Instead of looking at it to ask if the work made the point well, or even as a lens to see how people of a different political stripe view people or an issue, it's basically sticking one's fingers in your ears and going "la la, you're evil, la la, not listening".
If by 'act is if it has less a right to make that point' you mean that people criticise the point that it is making. Why on earth should we restrict our judgement of a game to the form of how it makes a point and not to the content of that point. Choosing not to engage anything head on and merely judging it on form alone is a form of cowardly relativism and hence of anti-intellectualism, especially when you demand of others they do the same.

Corey Schaff said:
Since this places values and attempts to persuade in emotional terms, I'd hardly call it intellectual. It's a polemic piece. As is this thread.
'Placing values' and being a polemic piece is not intellectual? What? How did you even come to that conclusion?

Fox12 said:
Unfortunately. There's a pretty strong regressive culture in games. Parts of it can be seen in backwards cultural movements like GG, but it goes much further then that. Some people just don't want to think. That's why you can have a discussion about the deep philosophy of dark souls, and then you've always got that one guy who insists it doesn't mean anything, and it's just about the gameplay. They get annoyed at the very idea of a game asking you to think, or, worse, seeking to challenge you in a way that doesn't involve a health bar.
Well Dark Souls has always seemed to me as a good example of a game that is often misjudged. There is a steam review of Dark Souls 2 that sums it up quite neatly. It goes as follows: Bearer... Seek... Seek... Lest... From what I've played of Dark Souls 2 (which was the first 70% and the first 30% twice, I've watched my roommate play the rest), the strenght of that game was it's gameplay, and secondarily its theme and atmosphere. The dialogue was cringeworthy and pretentious, the story was barely there and whatever themes it has are still mostly explored by killing things and walking into various death traps for 40 hours which is far longer than the story and themes require to be shown. I certainly didn't see any 'deep philosophy' and most of its thematic strength started to wear thin after twenty hours. I've seen various analyses of Dark Souls and unless Dark souls 1 is very different from Dark Souls 2 (and the first couple of hours where damn near identical to Dark Souls 2, I didn't play it after that) I think the narrative elements of Dark Souls are not nearly as important to the game as people tell themselves. Had the gameplay been ever so slightly less engaging, then I doubt it would have had anywhere near its popularity.

Ubersupersloth

Jan 11, 2013
Fox12 said:
Unfortunately. There's a pretty strong regressive culture in games. Parts of it can be seen in backwards cultural movements like GG, but it goes much further then that. Some people just don't want to think. That's why you can have a discussion about the deep philosophy of dark souls, and then you've always got that one guy who insists it doesn't mean anything, and it's just about the gameplay. They get annoyed at the very idea of a game asking you to think, or, worse, seeking to challenge you in a way that doesn't involve a health bar.
No, Gamergate is about ethics. It's ALWAYS been about ethics, SJWs just said it was about misogyny to deflect from the issue *continues ranting for about an hour straight*. Sorry, SOMEONE needed to say it.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
Most of my arguments against that article have been covered but let me throw out one more.

Progressives are quick to give slap labels like "anti intellectual" on people who oppose or are just not interested in their arguments. Could it be that some gamers are very much intellectuals only they see the progressives arguments as dumb?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
ObserverStatus said:
crimson5pheonix said:
ObserverStatus said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Save the soapboxing for opinion pieces.
As opposed to reviews?
Yes, as opposed to reviews.
And exactly what is the basis of a review if not the critic's opinion?
A basis maybe, but an analysis with the understanding that most everyone (interested in the subject) cares about how effective the creator made their work but far fewer care if the politics align with the reviewers.

Like I said in the part you cut out, talking about how well the story was done is one thing, going off about politics is another.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Some people seem to think that thinking about games will make them less fun. I have no idea how that works.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
RedRockRun said:
I don't see how these comments are anti-intellectual. Furthermore, I find it insulting that intellect would be mistaken with ideology when so often dogmatic ideology is more indicative of a lack of intelligence. By basing a review on only the thematic elements in a game and making such broad conclusions, the reviewer is more myopic than anything else. Yet to say that those disagreeing with both the thematic content and/or the weight he places on it when determining the game's worth is just literary criticism.

The problem too is that the reviewer pans the game based on his subjective understanding of morality without considering that a piece of media needs not be perfectly moral to have an effective narrative. It only shows how blinded his is by his own ideology. The game is fictional, and an objective analysis should never be tinged by one's personal thoughts.

Yet to say that those who disagree with him are stupid touches on what I believe to be a dangerous trend in criticism and society in general: that there is a correct and incorrect way to think, and if one should deviate, he shall be branded as being in the wrong and open to any insult.
I think that the OP calls the comments anti-intellectual, because they don't try to refute the review's arguments. Instead their counter-argument usually is "keep your political analysis out of videogames". Not that the reviewer is completely out of the hook.

At the end, some people are better in expressing their opinions about the game's morality...

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
It's a manufactured, consumer culture, made to sell stuff. Of course it's anti-intellectual. Thinking, and buying more and more stuff don't go well together.

Oct 22, 2011
I was about to say
The Jovian said:
by their logic Lewis "Linkara" Lovhaug shouldn't have bothered to look for deeper themes in meaning in this Power Rangers retrospective ( http://atopthefourthwall.com/category/hopr/ ), or Jaymes "Captain Logan" Logan shouldn't have bothered to give the superhero movie genre any in-depth analysis ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5yiowFDpQ&list=PLE6AD3F273B4DA8DE )
Well, there's ya problem. It's supposed to be a review, not an analysis, so it's expected from it to cover more than just a supposed "message" the game delivers...

But then i've checked a link underneath the article(don't know if it was there when you've made your post): https://killscreen.com/articles/note-about-our-reviews-policy/.
Basicly it explains in first paragraph that this site doesn't care about technical or, however weird that sounds, gameplay aspect of games in their "reviews". And although quotation marks are there to express my disagreement with their definition of a review, i think most people who complain in the comments have themselves to blame. Not sure if i'd agree their attitudes anti-intellectual, though.