The "Ask a Video Game Tester" Thread!

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
Pretty much what the title says.

Since there seems to be quite a bit of mystery surrounding the specifics of what exactly video game testers do, I decided to start this thread in order to answer any questions curious forum members might have about the profession. Work keeps me quite busy, but I'll try and drop in at least once every two or three days to answer any questions people might have.

Due to non-disclosure agreements, I can't reveal anything about upcoming releases or go into too much detail about older ones, but I'll mention specific titles if I have something good to say about that particular game or publisher and avoid naming names if I don't.

So, if anyone has any questions, fire away! :)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Generic question, but, how did you get the job? Did you see it advertised and apply, or what?

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
IceForce said:
Generic question, but, how did you get the job? Did you see it advertised and apply, or what?
Pretty much. Saw an ad in the back of one of the free dailies being handed out in front of the subway and gave it a shot. :)

They won't hire just anyone, though. I had to take a practical exam where I was told to play the early alpha build of a game and find and list as many issues as possible within an hour or so.

I also had to take an exam to test my linguistic proficiency in order to determine whether or not my grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills were advanced enough to test translated versions of Japanese or English games.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Lunar Archivist said:
IceForce said:
Pretty much. Saw an ad in the back of one of the free dailies being handed out in front of the subway and gave it a shot. :)

They won't hire just anyone, though. I had to take a practical exam where I was told to play the early alpha build of a game and find and list as many issues as possible within an hour or so.

I also had to take an exam to test my linguistic proficiency in order to determine whether or not my grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills were advanced enough to test translated versions of Japanese or English games.
Wow, that's a lot more involved than I thought it'd be.

So, in your job, do you test multiplayer, singleplayer, or both?

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
IceForce said:
Wow, that's a lot more involved than I thought it'd be.

So, in your job, do you test multiplayer, singleplayer, or both?
Well, it wasn't that bad. Contrary to popular belief, there are actually three different types of video game testers, though the work they do overlap to a certain extent:

1. Functionality testers are what come to mind when most people think of video game testing. Their job is to not only to make sure that the game works as intended, but to subsequently do everything in their power to break it. This involves doing things such as using items in unconventional ways or combinations, backtracking, sequence breaking, attempting to access inaccessible areas, making sure collision is working so you don't walk through walls or fall out of the game world, etc.

2. Localization testers are foreign language speakers who test the game to make sure all the in-game text and audio are translated and implemented properly. They're also responsible for making sure that there aren't any cutoffs, overruns, spelling and grammar mistakes, etc. sneak into the game. This particular type of testing is what I specialize in.

3. Compliance testers have the job of verifying that all the in-game terminology, visual representations of hardware and software, legal documents, etc. comply with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo's standards. Most of the time, compliance testing is done by functionality and localization testers, though there are some companies where they form their own separate team. This is probably the most important type of testing to get right, as games can fail submission if there's anything that doesn't comply with the rules.

As for what I test...pretty much whatever they tell me to. I test both single player and multiplayer. I check the voice commands for the Kinect (or at least try to when it works). I read physical and digital instruction manuals. I listen to audio files to make sure subtitles are properly transcribed. I do spot translations for downloadable content. I make sure the names of save data and game data files are properly displayed. There's always a multitude of tasks to be performed!

Redlin5 said:
How many bug test reports do you typically fill out per game you're brought on to test?
That's really difficult to answer because these kinds of things depend on the client. Some want you to report each and every issue separately. Others will allow you to report similar or related issues together. Still others will accept your writing one bug report for all problems that appear on the same screen.

Just to give you an example of how different things can be: on my current project - which I've been on for five months now - I've written maybe 100 to 150 bug reports or so. On another project, where I was the only tester in my language for six of the nine months I was on it, I logged nearly 1000 issues. Granted, there was a lot of copying/pasting involved, but there's a tremendous amount of variation.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Have you played games you've tested after you've tested them? Have you enjoyed them, and if not, was it just because they were just bad games?

In fact, has you job made you notice more annoyances in other games most people would miss?

The busman's holiday problem.

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
M0rp43vs said:
Have you played games you've tested after you've tested them? Have you enjoyed them, and if not, was it just because they were just bad games?
One popular misconception is that testers somehow get to pick what kind of project they work on. It doesn't work that way. You test what they tell you to test. Don't feel like playing that Wizards of Waverly Place flash game on Disney's website? Well, tough luck. You're going to do it anyway.

Yes, there've been some games that impressed me enough to actually want to buy them after I tested them for weeks or months. Destroy All Humans! 2 and Borderlands come to mind. :)

And I've played my own fair share of bad games after doing this on and off for many years.

M0rp43vs said:
In fact, has you job made you notice more annoyances in other games most people would miss?

The busman's holiday problem.
Sometimes it's hard to snap out of tester mode and you notice minor issues in games that weren't fixed or should have been flagged. At other times, if you're playing something you worked on, you can't help but notice the mistakes you couldn't or weren't allowed to fix for some reason. I do tend to play far fewer video games these days. I mean, after playing them for 8 hours at work, the last thing I feel like doing is playing more when I get home.

As for annoyances, after a while, you see several companies make the same stupid mistakes over and over again and you know exactly what types of problems are likely to show up and where. I think one of the worst ones has to do with character limits. German isn't a language known for being economical of space, so you sometimes have to butcher text in order to make sure it fits properly.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Hey man, thanks for replying. And so quick too.

Lunar Archivist said:
One popular misconception is that testers somehow get to pick what kind of project they work on. It doesn't work that way. You test what they tell you to test. Don't feel like playing that Wizards of Waverly Place flash game on Disney's website? Well, tough luck. You're going to do it anyway.
Oh, I know that, I was just asking if they've ever impressed you enough that you played them again which you kindly answered in the next paragraph. Also, who knows, maybe that WoWP game would be the bees knees and you would be the only one to know since you're the only one who played it.

But seriously though, a Disney flash game? Sounds rough.

Also nice to know about the text space problem. I don't think it ever popped into mind until today. So cheers, learn something new everyday.

Ooh, one last question, do you sometime come to think of the game you tested as your "baby"?
I had heard a story from some QA testers about how they would gather on release of their game before the reviews come in and bask in satisfaction at all the positive reviews while also feeling gutted when a negative review gets released.

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
M0rp43vs said:
Hey man, thanks for replying. And so quick too.
No problem. :)

M0rp43vs said:
Oh, I know that, I was just asking if they've ever impressed you enough that you played them again which you kindly answered in the next paragraph. Also, who knows, maybe that WoWP game would be the bees knees and you would be the only one to know since you're the only one who played it.
There've been a few games I've played that changed substantially between testing and release. I really need to play Bioshock 2 one of these days because I'm curious to see what it's like now since all the testing I did on it was from before they scrapped everything and started over from scratch.

M0rp43vs said:
But seriously though, a Disney flash game? Sounds rough.
I've tested games based on Winx Club and Bratz, friend. It builds character. ;)

M0rp43vs said:
Also nice to know about the text space problem. I don't think it ever popped into mind until today. So cheers, learn something new everyday.
Well, take something like Xbox 360 achievements, for example. I don't have the exact numbers memorized, but I believe the character limits are 32 for the name and 150 for the description. Or the Xbox Store, where DLC descriptions are limited to 250 characters for the short version and 450 for the long one.

M0rp43vs said:
Ooh, one last question, do you sometime come to think of the game you tested as your "baby"?
I had heard a story from some QA testers about how they would gather on release of their game before the reviews come in and bask in satisfaction at all the positive reviews while also feeling gutted when a negative review gets released.
To be honest, I never felt that way until recently. There is a major upcoming release that's gotten excellent reviews. It did make me proud, though that pride immediately diminished after I saw that the sites which gave it those ratings were anti-GamerGate. I don't trust any of them now. -_-;

Still, I look forward to seeing what German fans will think of it. :)

I must admit that I was quite disappointed to find out that LEGO Universe didn't have any staying power considering how long I was on it.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Did you ever tested a game and even if you said it is very broken, the publishers released the game anyway?
Do you enjoy the videogames the same before you had apply for this job?
Can you describe to us the worst videogame you have to test? [DON'T tell a name, just describe]
Did you ever tested DLC for a specific game?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Have you had a harder time finding work in this field or getting paid less with the wave of Early Access games? It's hard to compete with people who will pay to test games.

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
SweetShark said:
Did you ever tested a game and even if you said it is very broken, the publishers released the game anyway?
Something like that is pretty much impossible on consoles because there're a lot of safeguards in place.

When all the major bugs and other outstanding issues in a game have been fixed (or at least addressed) by the developers, a so-called sanity check is performed, where testers play through the entire main path of the game - the one most casual players are likely to follow - as quickly as possible to make sure there aren't any crashes or other problems that would impede progress and prevent normal people from completing it and also make sure that Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo's standards are adhered to.

Once that's done, the game is submitted to Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo for approval. At that point, their testers start playing through the game with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it meets their quality standards. If they find something really, really bad, the game fails submission and the developers have to fix it and resubmit it. On the other hand, if some minor yet still important issues are found, the developers and the console makers can come to an agreement, such as releasing a first-day patch to resolve the issue.

Naturally, this only applies when there's some kind of regulatory body in place. It's easier to get a game out on PC, for example, because there isn't a monolithic entity performing quality control for all computers. I remember getting into a massive row with some douchebag user on Kotaku (now there's a redundant phrase) about the showstopper on the Android version of Final Fantasy VI that crashed the game and made it unwinnable. There's no way that would've gotten past submission on a console because it would've been spotted immediately during a sanity check. Apparently, things are a lot more lax when it comes to phones and tablets.

What's much more likely to happen is that a problematic part of the game may just be removed if it can't be fixed easily or in a timely manner. In Terminator Salvation, for example, there was originally a boss battle sandwiched between what are now Chapters 2 and 3 where you had to battle the Harvester seen during the end cinematic of the former level. Unfortunately, it ended up being left on the cutting room floor due to technical difficulties. :(

There have been instances, however, where publishers explicitly ignored our advice and attempted to submit or release a game with obvious problems in it. That's there prerogative as a customer, though, and they usually end up losing money or audience respect as a result of it.

SweetShark said:
Do you enjoy the videogames the same before you had apply for this job?
As mentioned previously, I do enjoy games, but I just play them less. Feels like hanging around the office when you're supposed to be on vacation. :)

SweetShark said:
Can you describe to us the worst videogame you have to test? [DON'T tell a name, just describe]
Anything for which I'm far removed from the target audience, such as flash games or educational products aimed at kids. More recently, I would say it's next gen games that are being backported to current gen platforms. Those're horrible to test because the older hardware simply can't handle it.

SweetShark said:
Did you ever tested DLC for a specific game?
I have a few times, actually. Even proofread the descriptions for the online stores or even helped translate those descriptions myself. :)

Not G. Ivingname said:
Have you had a harder time finding work in this field or getting paid less with the wave of Early Access games? It's hard to compete with people who will pay to test games.
I haven't run into that problem yet, though that might be because localization testers are a bit of a specialized area. I don't think the competition should be that bad, though, because you need to be able to write detailed bug reports on how to reproduce issues and many casual testers wouldn't have the training and experience necessary to do that. Of course, I could be wrong since that's not my area of expertise. Wish I had a better answer, sorry. :(

RICHIERICAN

Sep 18, 2014
Has there ever been a game you thought really sucked and you told them but they released it anyway? Not a buggy game but a game that really did suck!!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Lunar Archivist said:
Thank you for your answers.
One last question for me please:

Do you have a personal way you test the videogames or you must always follow a specific protocol to test them?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Is the job really as crushingly tedious as it sounds? Do you get many young guys apply for the job thinking they're going to be paid to sit on a couch and enjoy playing games?

In terms of bugs and glitches, are there any real clangers that got past you? Any finished games you've played and gone "Haha, look at that wonky bit of level geometry, that was Dave's department, looks like they missed that"? Or worse "Oh shit, that was *my* department, I hope nobody notices that..."?

Does extensive testing actually make you good at the game? I mean, as well as having an encyclopedic knowledge of the engine and mechanics, do you also end up with a proficiency for the game? Any titles you're ridiculously good at as a result? Would you say it's made you a better gamer in general?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
This has been very informative. Thanks!
Lunar Archivist said:
Just to give you an example of how different things can be: on my current project - which I've been on for five months now - I've written maybe 100 to 150 bug reports or so.
How long do you typically spend on a single project? Is five months a short amount of time, a long amount of time, or about average?

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Working conditions? This probably varies from place to place but I tend to hear horror stories about testers.

Lunar Archivist

Aug 28, 2014
This is looking to be a rather long and tedious work week for me, so, to everyone I didn't get to this time around, don't worry. I'll get to you as soon as I can. :)

RICHIERICAN said:
Has there ever been a game you thought really sucked and you told them but they released it anyway? Not a buggy game but a game that really did suck!!
Oh, I've seen more than my fair share of games that really, really sucked. But the answer to that is a resounding no.

One of the common misconceptions about being a video game tester is that you get a say in what goes into and gets taken out of a game outside of a bug report. You don't. It's your job to make sure it lives up to the quality standards of your client and the requirements outlined by Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. No more, no less. You're not there to pass a value judgement on the game.

Just to illustrate how big of a no-no this is: one of my former co-workers told me a story about a tester who was working alone for months on a tediously boring project. One day, apparently needing to vent a little, he named his save file "ihatethisgame". Somehow, the client caught wind of this and wasn't amused. It ended up costing him his job.

That being said, some developers are very friendly and open-minded and solicit feedback from testers on possible improvements. However, this is the exception rather than the rule and, needless to say, all such suggestions are vetted by a project manager to make sure they're appropriately worded. Diplomacy and politness is key.

There's something else to consider, though: a lot of the functionality testers - the people paid to break the game - are hardcore gamers who think outside the box and are used to doing crazy things no one else might even consider. Asking them for advice might not be in your target audience's best interest. I remember one game where they supposedly found the final boss too easy and asked the developers to make him harder to beat. Unfortunately, the developers complied, and, while he definitely ended up being a challenge to them, he was an absolute nightmare for everyone else.

SweetShark said:
One last question for me please:

Do you have a personal way you test the videogames or you must always follow a specific protocol to test them?
There's no quota on asking questions. If you think of any more, feel free to ask. :)

To answer your question, though, that depends on what the client wants you to do. If the game is new and being tested for the first time, you usually get free reign, though you might want to start with the menus and then do a normal playthrough. As the game continues to improve, you may be asked to concentrate on new areas and features missing from previous builds and skip over old ones you've checked before. Sometimes you're given a checklist and explicit instructions.

In localization testing, for example, your goal is to see and trigger all the translated in-game text and audio, so you need to figure out the most effective way to do that. A systematic, step-by-step approach usually works best.

A functionality tester might start with a regular playthrough, then check if game mechanics - items, weapons, power-ups, etc. - work as intended before moving on to more advanced things, like seeing if you can pass through solid objects, fall out of the game world, etc.

Compliance testers try to check all the in-game text and audio that contain terminology and button icons, such as a message describing a game's autosave feature or the controller map in the options menu. However, it also means triggering error messages by doing things you're not supposed to do or that aren't supposed to happen, like removing memory cards while saving is in progress or corrupting DLCs and save files, then seeing how the game responds.

IceForce said:
How long do you typically spend on a single project? Is five months a short amount of time, a long amount of time, or about average?
That really depends. Usually, most projects can last months, but it usually involves testing in multiple rounds of increasingly shorter duration (which makes sense, since the game not only gets more stable with each successive build, but testers are also getting better at playing it). Rounds can last anywhere from one to three weeks with breaks of week or two in between as clients fix all the bugs that the testers have found.

However, there are instances where a new version of the game is created every few days and testers play it continuously, concentrating on multiple areas, until it's completely free of issues.

Spending months on the same game without a break is generally the exception rather than the rule, but it depends on what's being tested. The most time I spent on a game was nine months on LEGO Universe but that was an MMORPG and I probably could've been on it for years like some of the other testers were. The second longest I've ever been on a game - and now that it's September 30th and the game's officially been released, I can actually name names for the first time - is five months on Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. And I'm still not done with that one yet. :)