The Atrocities of Your National Heritage... This is a Fun Thread! :D

kgpspyguy

Apr 18, 2011
I'm German, Norwegian, and Scottish... I probably dont even need to tell you the bad that was done by the first one.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Hannibal942 said:
Fappy said:
For a long time I have always wonder why Native Americans are rarely ever considered when the "sins of our fathers" are discussed in the US.
Where exactly do you live? I've been hearing about the atrocities committed against Native Americans all my life.
Georgia. We spend far more time talking about slavery and the Civil Rights Movement than anything else in the history of the universe around here.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Fappy said:
Hannibal942 said:
Fappy said:
For a long time I have always wonder why Native Americans are rarely ever considered when the "sins of our fathers" are discussed in the US.
Where exactly do you live? I've been hearing about the atrocities committed against Native Americans all my life.
Georgia. We spend far more time talking about slavery and the Civil Rights Movement than anything else in the history of the universe around here.
Ah, makes sense. I live in California, and the topic is incessant in my school.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Well, being Dutch, we have been responsible for a lot of slavery.

The VOC was perhaps the first company that had military power which was not seldom used to murder/rob/rape/enslave lots of people all over the world.

The worst part is that I'm kind of proud of it - we were huge and powerful! We owned New York (blimey giving that away was a mistake wasn't it)! It must really have been glory days - if you really believe blacks and coloureds are subhuman.

If you don't, like every sensible human on earth today, it kind of leaves a bad taste. Christ the horrors those people were subjected to...

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Doclector said:
Well, I'm english, and we kind of did the whole evil empire thing at one point. Y'know, we took hold of pretty much the entire world. Turned one of the countries into a damn prison, we had that many countries. Think about that, at what point have you reached the megalomaniac level of "Turn entire country into a prison".

Yeah, that's pretty damn awful. Sowwy...

In fairness, it was a Continent, not a country...... Countries have established internationally recognized governments.

Yeah, I know it sounds worse to say we turned a continent into a prison, but you did. (I should say we, my mother is British)

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
You think that's bad?

I'm surprised we're not on trial for crimes against humanity.
You people disgust me. We Americans brought you hotdogs and you give us this horrendous shit!
Coming from the guys who made burger in a can.

You guys should go first :D
I think you just made me barf in my mouth a little.
burger was stolen from hamburg, a was the hot dog, frankfurter anyone?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Born in the USA but coming from Mexican heritage (and the border being literally 5 minutes away), I can tell you Mexico is all sorts of fucked up. From the rampant corruption to drug cartels it makes me sad that a once great country is subjected to fear and mass murders all for the sake of drugs and money... but then again I guess that's what everything comes down to one way or another.

Hurts me that my people are being killed every single day because they try to fight back but when even the cops are being payed by the cartels... well there isn't much you can do.

Kroq-Gar

Mar 12, 2012
Well where to start.

I have Viking in me so we pretty much ravaged the entirety of Europe for awhile. There's German in me so.... there was that whole World War 2 thing that people are always bringing up. I have Boer in my blood so we kinda had some fun in South Africa for awhile, you know the usual: slavery, exploration, war, rugby, etc. Oh and then there's the British in me that had that whole empire thing going on for awhile.

Yup.... my ancestors were bastards

alligabbi

Nov 2, 2009
Iceland: Small, but really annoying.

1. We caused the largest air-traffic shut-down since World War II by blowing up Eyjafjallajökull. We even made sure the volcano had such a fucked up name that the rest of the world could never pronounce it.

2. We killed whales. A lot of whales.

3. We created some of the most vile food on earth, like pickled rams testacles and fermented shark.

4. We fucked some brits over in the cod war.

So nothing really major, but not bad for only around 300.000 people!

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
Thanks, I needed a good laugh. You definitely took it in a different direction than what I was expecting.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:
well im Australian... ummm. i cant anything that was an atrocity in australia.
..? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ehem - sorry. That's kind of hilarious. Doesn't genocide count as an atrocity anymore?

English here, so imperialism, general genocidal nastiness, crusading, all that stuff and nonsense. Whoops!
there was no genocide, it was nothing compared to the native Americans or the Jewish Holocaust.
So for it to be an atrocity, it doesn't matter that a race of people were systematically wiped out, especially in Tazmania, it has to be on a par with the Holocaust or it doesn't count. Sorry, but that's not how genocide works.

Anyway, on the subject of there not being one, that's not how the three Australian museums I went to presented it. I'll also point you to this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history#Australia , and I'll throw in some personal experience.

My grandfather was in the merchant navy in the fifties, and when he got to Sydney and was hitting it up with the (white) locals, they asked him to go on a trip with them. A hunting trip to be exact. I'll give you three guesses as to what they were hunting and considering the context of this conversation, you should get it in one.

The thing about it was, this practice was considered normal. It wasn't looked down on, or seen with horror to the majority at the time, it certainly wasn't illegal or considered murder. These people hunted aboriginal men and women for sport. As my grandpa was telling the story about it, he wasn't overly concerned, or guilty that the men he was with, and perhaps he himself, he didn't say, active went out and MURDERED people.

If you insist that the killing of many aboriginals wasn't genocide, believe what you want. But how is the story above not an atrocity?
that is tragic, i feel better know that i dont associate's myself as British.......irish and scottish and welsh for me as far as i know..the link is very helpful...tasmania 'is' like the ''south'' (if you know what i mean) of australia

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:
well im Australian... ummm. i cant anything that was an atrocity in australia.
..? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ehem - sorry. That's kind of hilarious. Doesn't genocide count as an atrocity anymore?

English here, so imperialism, general genocidal nastiness, crusading, all that stuff and nonsense. Whoops!
there was no genocide, it was nothing compared to the native Americans or the Jewish Holocaust.
So for it to be an atrocity, it doesn't matter that a race of people were systematically wiped out, especially in Tazmania, it has to be on a par with the Holocaust or it doesn't count. Sorry, but that's not how genocide works.

Anyway, on the subject of there not being one, that's not how the three Australian museums I went to presented it. I'll also point you to this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history#Australia , and I'll throw in some personal experience.

My grandfather was in the merchant navy in the fifties, and when he got to Sydney and was hitting it up with the (white) locals, they asked him to go on a trip with them. A hunting trip to be exact. I'll give you three guesses as to what they were hunting and considering the context of this conversation, you should get it in one.

The thing about it was, this practice was considered normal. It wasn't looked down on, or seen with horror to the majority at the time, it certainly wasn't illegal or considered murder. These people hunted aboriginal men and women for sport. As my grandpa was telling the story about it, he wasn't overly concerned, or guilty that the men he was with, and perhaps he himself, he didn't say, active went out and MURDERED people.

If you insist that the killing of many aboriginals wasn't genocide, believe what you want. But how is the story above not an atrocity?
thanks for that link, that great irish femine was really terrible, 1 million death 1/3 of the polulation, yet they where so resouceful and tough as nails. makes me proud

Delicious Soy

Jan 25, 2011
xshadowscreamx said:
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:
Erja_Perttu said:
xshadowscreamx said:

Aaaaaand I call BS. How nice of you to vilify my entire country based on the homicidal predlictions of your grandfather. I've had multiple generations grow up in Sydney in those years and at no stage has anyone ever considered that normal practice.

For the record: Australia's policies regarding Aboriginal culture were iditotic, damgaing and grossly incompetent, but hardly genocidial. There was never an express policy of eradication, but a belief that they would be naturally 'bred out' i.e through interbreeding. Can we get our horror story right? It was Eugenics, not genocide.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
For the United States: Most of the Vietnam war, Hiroshima, putting Japanese Americans into camps, forced exile of Native Americans, the enslavement of an entire race of the American population...

fun stuff.

Schreck157

Apr 14, 2009
I was born in America. 'Nuff said. I am of German/ Austrian descent. More than 'Nuff said. And I am 1/16 Chiricahuan Apache (Native American). So the worst thing that 16th of me every did was be a dick to other tribes and American settlers.

EDIT: Fun fact, I am loosely related to Geronimo.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
crazyfills said:
Errm well umm . . . Empire . . . slavery? . . . politics dominated by a tea company? . . . nope . . . oh I got it, the invention of consetration camps.

Yeah england has been behind some terrible atrocitys thats for sure and thats not counting food or music.
Well you approached that with a heavy amount of research NOT!!!!
We invented some the best puddings the world has ever seen, and i shouldn't even have to educate
you on our rock heritage WHO LED ZEPPLIN QUEEN I won't mention the beatles because i think their overated, to list countless other not forgetting my favourite NWBHM ERA.