The Atrocities of Your National Heritage... This is a Fun Thread! :D

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
cathou said:
Well, two things come right away in my mind for Canada, but technically it was the British army that did it

Acadian deportation where the British army cleansed the French from maritime provinces
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

And the hand out of contaminated blankets by Amherst to natives, hoping to give them small pox. It's one of the first bacteriological warfare event in history. It wasn't that successful but the intent was there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffery_Amherst,_1st_Baron_Amherst
Both those are before Canada officially existed. The atrocities for which Canada existed include testing gas on soldiers in Sundre, Alberta, imprisoning the Japanese, Germans, and Italians during WWII, and of course, the damned residential schools.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
I never said that they were perfect or without error, just that I support the idea for a united Ireland.
You called them freedom fighters. Freedom fighters that murdered 800 civilians. You can support the idea of self determination for the population of NI without going all gooey over people like Sands who were members of a violent terrorist organisation actively involved in killing civilians in one of the worst periods of violence in NI recent history.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Phasmal said:
I'm English, so we had the Empire and everything.
I've also lived in Scotland and some of them are still pretty upset about all the stuff we did to them.
But we're making it up by being villians in movies.
Relevant.

OT: I'm Iclandic. We did capture a few Scottish and Irish slaves not that many, and unless they tried to escape (maimed) or bed the wives of their owners (killed) or tried to kill their owners (maimed then killed) they lived relatively easy lives and lived more as farmers, got no pay of course but got housing and food. Some even got education.

Anyway, we were hit hard by pirates from Algeria that captured Icelanders for slave labour. (Misnamed as Tyrkjaránið or the Turkish Abductions. The Turks and Algerians where under same rule is all. But Algeríuránið doesn't have the same ring to it.)

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Oh wow, 1987. I didn't realise they allowed people your age to use the internet. Don't you think it's a bit sad trying to fit in with the young ones at your age?
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Hazy992 said:
Those bastards started infiltrating our soap operas! Damn you Keith Duffy! *shakes fist*
Hey! That's your fault for being stupid enough to take him. He's your problem now, no backsies!

Can't pull that shit on me, I'm a nineties kid too you know. I made an excellent film critic :D
Pfft, 1992 barely counts. The nineties were basically over at that stage, you missed all of the best bits. Such as... am... The Soviet Union and the birth of Nathan Lopez, who is apparently a Filipino film actor.
Pfft, 1991?

You weren't even around to see the beginning of the nineties!

I was playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Megadrive when you were still suckling on your mother's teets!
Oh come on Daystar!

You should know better than to argue with kiddies that were born in the 90s.

Us 80s kids were much cooler and have known awesomeness waaaay before they did! :D
When ah wer' a lad 'n me dog wer' a pup...

Kids born in the late 80's got to experience the nineties in all its glory.
What glory? Ok, I was born in 1990, it was pretty good.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
I never said that they were perfect or without error, just that I support the idea for a united Ireland.
You called them freedom fighters. Freedom fighters that murdered 800 civilians. You can support the idea of self determination for the population of NI without going all gooey over people like Sands who were members of a violent terrorist organisation actively involved in killing civilians in one of the worst periods of violence in NI recent history.
I admit my view of the IRA is a bit biased do to some Irish friends I know, but you still haven't proven to me that Sands killed anybody. You just proved that he was arrested for gone possession and fleeing the seen of a violent crime.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
I admit my view of the IRA is a bit biased do to some Irish friends I know, but you still haven't proven to me that Sands killed anybody. You just proved that he was arrested for gone possession and fleeing the seen of a violent crime.
I never said sands killed anyone.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Patrick Buck said:
I'm british. We helped create America.
LOL! That's what my dad said when Mitt Romney said the British never created anything the world wants!

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Apologies, it was three-on-one and I mixed you guys up. I was thinking of a comment that Ninjamedic made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.384674.15267824].

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I'm British, so it's a close call between conquering a quarter of the world or spawning the horror that is Piers Morgan. We're sorry world, we're really sorry!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Fappy said:
IamQ said:
from 1920-1970 we sterilized people for things ranging from murder to skipping class a few times too many. Wouldn't want to have those bad eggs breed, eh?
Holy shit that's pretty brutal. To think there are people alive today that can't make babies because they skipped class o_O
Yeah, it was pretty horrible. While the numbers never reached milions, they were still up in the hundreds of thousands.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
America!

We profited off of Europe's world war, then about 10 years later, we crashed the economy!

Then we got out of debt by profiting off of Europe's second world war, then about 70 years later, crashed the economy again!

Also, Scientology. Didn't those guys try to get into Europe?

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Fappy said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Mass Effect 3 Ending
That was just revenge for putting an innocent Canadian creation like Superman into a particular atrocity of an N64 game.

Daystar Clarion said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
You think that's bad?

I'm surprised we're not on trial for crimes against humanity.
You people disgust me. We Americans brought you hotdogs and you give us this horrendous shit!
Coming from the guys who made burger in a can.

You guys should go first :D
I think you just made me barf in my mouth a little.
Oh, it gets better.

Good luck sleeping tonight :D
Where do you find this shit!? Do you actively look for the most repulsive meals on the planet!?

Strawman!

Don't draw attention away from your heinous crimes against food!
New York and Chicago style pizza! Check mate mother fucker! >:D
Maple Syrup. Canadian Bacon. Poutine. Name one thing we've done wrong ************.

CLEARLY MY PEOPLE ARE SAINTS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!
Some of your country speak French as a first language.

I win >:D
Curses, foiled again!
Bah, only one of the two Superman creators were Canadian! Besides, the Jews claimed responsibility for creating Superman long ago!
Oh yeah, blame the Jews. Typical American.
But I... but they... what!?

D:
As a Canadian who is currently behind on my government mandated 10,000 apologies per year quota, I must apologise with sincerity of the highest order for my countrymen's crass behaviour.

Whew, only 7943 more to go.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Apologies, it was three-on-one and I mixed you guys up. I was thinking of a comment that Ninjamedic made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.384674.15267824].
That is Ok. But you do realise that 3 of the people you've been discussing this with are also Irish yes? Did these Irish friends of yours grow up in Ireland during the Troubles? Because exactly 100% of the Irish people I've met who did have hated the IRA (and other paramilitaries) with a passion. Admittedly one was ex UVF but that still leaves exactly zero love for the IRA.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Cheesepower5 said:
geK0 said:
Canadian: We burned down the white house bitches!
*Ultimate bro-fist*
Why do so many Canadians think this? You didn't burn down the white house a bunch of British soldiers who sailed in from Bermuda did. You still repelled our invasion attempt though, so you can be proud of that. Seriously though the War of 1812 was one of our biggest blunders.

OT: As, an American I'd like to apologize for that chemical factory in Sudan which our then-president blew up to distract the media from his sex scandal.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
That is Ok. But you do realise that 3 of the people you've been discussing this with are also Irish yes? Did these Irish friends of yours grow up in Ireland during the Troubles? Because exactly 100% of the Irish people I've met who did have hated the IRA (and other paramilitaries) with a passion. Admittedly one was ex UVF but that still leaves exactly zero love for the IRA.
I don't know where exactly my friends grew up, but I know it wasn't in Belfast. They are Catholic and in their early twenties and grew up in Ireland(don't remember the city). I bring up Bobby Sands because it wasn't that they loved the IRA as much as they some respect for Sands going on a hunger strike.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Germany.
Need I say more? Starting two world wars is probably bad enough. Although we are much more guilty for the second one than the first.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Lonan said:
Fappy said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Mass Effect 3 Ending
That was just revenge for putting an innocent Canadian creation like Superman into a particular atrocity of an N64 game.

Daystar Clarion said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
You think that's bad?

I'm surprised we're not on trial for crimes against humanity.
You people disgust me. We Americans brought you hotdogs and you give us this horrendous shit!
Coming from the guys who made burger in a can.

You guys should go first :D
I think you just made me barf in my mouth a little.
Oh, it gets better.

Good luck sleeping tonight :D
Where do you find this shit!? Do you actively look for the most repulsive meals on the planet!?

Strawman!

Don't draw attention away from your heinous crimes against food!
New York and Chicago style pizza! Check mate mother fucker! >:D
Maple Syrup. Canadian Bacon. Poutine. Name one thing we've done wrong ************.

CLEARLY MY PEOPLE ARE SAINTS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!
Some of your country speak French as a first language.

I win >:D
Curses, foiled again!
Bah, only one of the two Superman creators were Canadian! Besides, the Jews claimed responsibility for creating Superman long ago!
Oh yeah, blame the Jews. Typical American.
But I... but they... what!?

D:
As a Canadian who is currently behind on my government mandated 10,000 apologies per year quota, I must apologise with sincerity of the highest order for my countrymen's crass behaviour.

Whew, only 7943 more to go.
Excuse me sir, but I find your usage of the term "crass" to be dishonest and slanderous, and would humbly request that you take it back and apologize immediately. However, if you find something of offense in this message then I am sincerely sorry and would not wish to extend these grievances further.

Good day.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
ejb626 said:
Cheesepower5 said:
geK0 said:
Canadian: We burned down the white house bitches!
*Ultimate bro-fist*
Why do so many Canadians think this? You didn't burn down the white house a bunch of British soldiers who sailed in from Bermuda did. You still repelled our invasion attempt though, so you can be proud of that. Seriously though the War of 1812 was one of our biggest blunders.

OT: As, an American I'd like to apologize for that chemical factory in Sudan which our then-president blew up to distract the media from his sex scandal.
Canada wasn't even its own nation at the time, just a separated group of US immigrants, British colonialists and loyalists, French settlers and Natives living in the same general area, so we basically claim who we can as ours.