Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
Later Groups said:
Provisional IRA (1969?present)
Official IRA (1969?2007)
Irish National Liberation Army (1974?present)
Irish People's Liberation Organisation (1986?1992)
Continuity IRA (1986?present)
Real IRA (1997?present)
Óglaigh na hÉireann (Continuity IRA splinter group) (2006?2009)
Óglaigh na hÉireann (Real IRA splinter group) (2006?present)
..what the hell. I don't even know who my friends were referring to anymore.
EDIT:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
]And a great number of people in the southern states wanted to succeed from the Union, but it doesn't mean that the Union let them become their own country.
That's not even remotely comparable. Northern Ireland is a part of the UK already and wants to stay that way, the Confederacy wanted to splinter off from the US. Comparing the two situations is either ignorant of just disingenuous.

And you still havent answered my question. Why do you want NI to be part of Ireland when they don't want to be? I want an actual reason why you think this is best and why NI's wishes don't matter.
I wasn't comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK. I was comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK.
What? I think you've messed that one up mate cause you just contradicted your first sentence with the second

And you still haven't answered my question
lol, my bad.

I meant to type.... "I wasn't comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK. I was comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and Ireland."
Still not comparable as NI is part of the UK. It isn't trying to secede from Ireland.

It is comparable and it answers your question, the Union didn't want the Confederacy to be separate from them, the Union used violence to achieve this, used extreme measures [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_March], and forced the Confederacy to join them knowing full well that a great number of people in the southern states did not want to be part of the Union
again no it's not. The only way this would be comparable was if NI seceded from Ireland. This obviously didnt happen so its not comparable.

Ignore this really arbitrary point though and answer my actual question; why is a United Ireland the best solution when the people of NI want to remain part of the UK?
I don't know if it is best for the people of NI, just that I compare it to US history in that even though getting rid of slavery wasn't in the best economic interest of the Southern states, the Union still fought for the idea of the United States
If it's not the best solution and if the people of NI don't want it why do you? You still haven't given a reason
For a united Ireland, I would like to see the country become one.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Welp, I'd say the Tuskegee syphilis experiments [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments], the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki], and the bombing of Dresden [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II] would qualify.

Now, whether the latter two were justified...

Yeah, I'm not even touching that question.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
If it's not the best solution and if the people of NI don't want it why do you? You still haven't given a reason
Wow...there's not much you can say to that.

"I don't live there, the people who do don't want it, and it's not the best solution, but I think it should happen anyway"

In other news I now think Texas should be reunited with Mexico.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
Later Groups said:
Official IRA (1969?2007)
Real IRA (1997?present)
EDIT:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
]And a great number of people in the southern states wanted to succeed from the Union, but it doesn't mean that the Union let them become their own country.
That's not even remotely comparable. Northern Ireland is a part of the UK already and wants to stay that way, the Confederacy wanted to splinter off from the US. Comparing the two situations is either ignorant of just disingenuous.

And you still havent answered my question. Why do you want NI to be part of Ireland when they don't want to be? I want an actual reason why you think this is best and why NI's wishes don't matter.
I wasn't comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK. I was comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK.
What? I think you've messed that one up mate cause you just contradicted your first sentence with the second

lol, my bad.

I meant to type.... "I wasn't comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and the UK. I was comparing the Confederacy and the Union to NI and Ireland."
Still not comparable as NI is part of the UK. It isn't trying to secede from Ireland.

It is comparable and it answers your question, the Union didn't want the Confederacy to be separate from them, the Union used violence to achieve this, used extreme measures [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_March], and forced the Confederacy to join them knowing full well that a great number of people in the southern states did not want to be part of the Union
again no it's not. The only way this would be comparable was if NI seceded from Ireland. This obviously didnt happen so its not comparable.

Ignore this really arbitrary point though and answer my actual question; why is a United Ireland the best solution when the people of NI want to remain part of the UK?
I don't know if it is best for the people of NI, just that I compare it to US history in that even though getting rid of slavery wasn't in the best economic interest of the Southern states, the Union still fought for the idea of the United States
But why though? The vast majority are against it.
Why what? Why do I even care about Ireland being united, or why do I want this when people in NI don't?

EDIT:
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Wow...there's not much you can say to that.

"I don't live there, the people who do don't want it, and it's not the best solution, but I think it should happen anyway"

In other news I now think Texas should be reunited with Mexico.
Why do I have to live there to have an opinion on the politics? I don't see non-Americans hesitate to state how they think the US should be run.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
Later Groups said:
Official IRA (1969?2007)
Real IRA (1997?present)
EDIT:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:

lol, my bad.

But why do you want it? You still haven't given a reason. The majority of NI don't want it so why do you? I want a reason.

Bobsonnn

Jul 12, 2009
Being English/British, I'd say it's gotta be the whole 'taking over half the world, stealing all their goods and selling it back to them at hugely inflated prices, killing huge numbers of them in the process' thing.

Sorry bout that, guys.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
gim73 said:
Okay, first, tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable.

Second, the American indians are indirectly responsible for one of the greatest plagues to ever hit the planet. Mormons. Ironically, Mormons too were exiled from pretty much every state they tried to stay in and forced to march to the most desolate and remote location in America: Utah.

As far as smallpox goes, it has hit pretty much every population of the world with great regularity in history.

But I AM going to hold EVERY country that still has a royal family accountable for that crime. Seriously guys, most countries have eliminated these parasites from the earth, what's keeping you from entering the age of reason?
I don't know how American Indians are the cause of Mormons... but either way, I'm a plague to you? Well heaven forbid you become infected by my obviously infectious niceness.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Dr. Mongo said:
Inventing the industrialization of genocide is what my country can claim for itself.
It turns my stomach to think that there are still people here who firmly believe that this is all a lie and that we actually were the good guys in WW2.

But I guess this is what you have to deal with when you're born in Germany.

Edit: And since I overlooked the "fun" thing, there's still this:

You were, right up to the genocide thing; WWI and the treaty of Versailles was incredibly unfair to you guys and you deserved revenge. Too bad some men had to force their prejudices on others.

At least you're the greatest country in the world now.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
Why do I have to live there to have an opinion on the politics? I don't see non-Americans hesitate to state how they think the US should be run.
True, but those people do usually justify their opinion in some way.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Matthew94 said:
The latter. Why do you want it when the people who actually live in the nation are against it, from all walks of life.
Because I don't want Ireland to become like Korea and be in some permanent limbo where they are forever divided. I rather go for the brutish(and I do realize that it is brutish) way that the US also took when the Confederacy tried to separate from the Union. I mean do you honestly think that if we waited until NI agreed, would there be a united Ireland in our lifetime?

Hazy992 said:
But why do you want it? You still haven't given a reason. The majority of NI don't want it so why do you? I want a reason.
See my answer above to Matthew.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
Because I don't want Ireland to become like Korea and be in some perminit limbo where they are forever divided. I rather go for the brutish(and I do realize that it is brutish) way that the US also took when the Confederacy tried to separate from the Union. I mean do you honestly think that if we waited until NI agreed, would there be a united Ireland in our lifetime?
They are not like Korea. Relations between Eire and NI are fine.

Why not say the same for Europe? Should all be forcibly made into one superstate. Or the US war of independence? It split the British Empire.

NI want to remain part of the UK, why should they be made to do that other than some vague, flowery idea of not wanting "division"? The reverse will be people in Eire split from the country they want to be part of. Maybe they'll start bombing shit? You'll be splitting up the United Kingdom, leaving them in a state of limbo, forever divided.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Because I don't want Ireland to become like Korea and be in some perminit limbo where they are forever divided. I rather go for the brutish(and I do realize that it is brutish) way that the US also took when the Confederacy tried to separate from the Union. I mean do you honestly think that if we waited until NI agreed, would there be a united Ireland in our lifetime?
They are not like Korea. Relations between Eire and NI are fine. And the
It look like you meant to finish what you were saying.
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Why not say the same for Europe? Should all be forcibly made into one superstate.
That is a bit of a slipper slope isn't it? I'm not advocating one mega government, just that the Irish people should be united under one government.
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Or the US war of independence? It split the British Empire.
Because America being a country didn't split England into two countries.

DirtyJunkieScum said:
NI want to remain part of the UK, why should they be made to do that other than some vague, flowery idea of not wanting division? The reverse will be people in Ireland split from the country they want to be part of. Maybe they'll start bombing shit?
That is my reason though, an idealistic idea that a people would no longer be divided but united as one.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
The latter. Why do you want it when the people who actually live in the nation are against it, from all walks of life.
Because I don't want Ireland to become like Korea and be in some permanent limbo where they are forever divided. I rather go for the brutish(and I do realize that it is brutish) way that the US also took when the Confederacy tried to separate from the Union. I mean do you honestly think that if we waited until NI agreed, would there be a united Ireland in our lifetime?

Hazy992 said:
See my answer above to Matthew.
Are you seriously comparing NI and Ireland to the Koreas? Seriously? It's not even remotely comparable. Relations are fine. Do you think the border is like the 38th Parallel or something?

There is no pressing need for a United Ireland. NI wants to remain part of the UK and both then UK and Ireland respect that. If the majority decided they wanted to become part of Ireland they'd respect that too. I suggest you go read the summary of the Good Friday Agreement on Wikipedia

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
The atomic bombing of Japan.

Slavery.

Racism like you've never seen.

The displacement (often violently) of an entire indigenous people.

In some cases, genocide of said indigenous people.

Our enormous and pervasive drug culture is funding the Mexican cartels and perpetuating a war that has been more deadly than the Middle East and Vietnam combined.

Giving junk food to the world.

Our health care system (37th rate care for a 1st rate price! Whoo!)

And our school system, currently one of the poorest performers in the developed world.

U-S-A!

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
My people invented the bong.

We get autoforgiven status for whatever may have happened in the past.