The Avengers - you can say quim but not c...Huh?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
TheBobmus said:
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
A quick google search found that the question of 'mewling quim' has been asked by others: http://www.tqsmagazine.co.uk/what-does-mewling-quim-mean/

... added to my list of archaic insults, alongside my all-time favourite: 'Strumpet'.
Excellent, a new word for me there in 'strumpet'. The things you learn online.

I must thank that article for my new favourite memetic image:
http://www.tqsmagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/loki.jpg

HOW DARE HE CALL SCARLETT THAT?!?

Hate Loki twice as much now lol.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Its called Getting Crap Past the Radar.

Tony does something similar when Loki's "staff" has "performance issues"

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
When i heard him say this, i actually burst out laughing...and i think i was the only one :')

I have heard the word before, and me and my mates looked it up, the amount of names we found were hilarious (won't post them on here cause it appears some people are offended by the word, which i completely respect) So to hear this word in the Avengers killed me :')

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sorry, but I have dedicated much of my life to reading books from various eras throughout English history and I have only heard of the word 'quim' perhaps once, and only today have I understood what it even means.

The word 'wanker' is probably considered a more offensive word in England than America, since up until recently I'd say 'wanker' was just one of those "funny British words" like 'tosser', or 'sodding'. What the words mean often comes secondary to the way the audience reacts to them: calling someone a "fuckwad" means absolutely nothing but would still be considered more offensive than calling someone a "loser" which, at least in my opinion, carries more negative and hurtful connotations.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
catalyst8 said:
I think it's unfair to assume people are so ignorant of their native language. Are you suggesting that the censors let it through because they didn't think the audience would understand, or because they mistakenly thought that quim was less of an insult (within the context of the example) than ****?
Yes actually.

For the same reason censors won't throw a fit here (being America) if someone was to use Bollocks. It's not a known swear so the amount of people who would be up in arms over it would be negligible. Pretty much how exactly how the reaction to Quim being in the movie is right now. No one cares because it's a lost curse word.

Censors only really censor things based on a common agreement with the current society as to what is or isn't acceptable, the latter of which would cause a flood of complaints. It's the same reason you don't see anyone complaining about a Womans ankles being shown but Tits will get a repeat of the NFL Half-time show.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
catalyst8 said:
CODE-D said:
Because I dont know what a quim is nor do i care to look it up.
I take it you didn't read the spoiler, & presumably English is your second or third language (your profile doesn't show your nationality) so that's fair enough on both counts. I should have specified that I was addressing my question within & from a context of native English speakers.
Er... Native English speaker here (I'm actually English, as opposed to American) and I'd never heard that word before. I had to look it up. Apparently it's considered a British word!

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
catalyst8 said:
I saw the new Avengers film last week & was pleasantly surprised by it. In contrast with most of the other Marvel films the narrative arc is solid, the plot competant, & the characterization rich.

What also caught my attention was a line delivered by
the main antagonist Loki, when he referred to the Black Widow as a 'mewling quim'. Obviously quim is considered a more extreme pejorative than ****, & yet I'm certain that if the latter rather than the former term had been used then the censors would have insisted on its removal.

I thoroughly oppose political & artistic censorship in all its forms, so was overjoyed to discover that apparently 'quim' is perfectly acceptable for children. This does beg the question though, why isn't '****'? EDIT: this is in the context of an audience of native English speakers.

CAPTCHA: in the limelight.
I think the Escapist Oracle has a great sense of humour.
Obviously if Loki had said **** it would either have been completely omitted by the censors, or left in and then the film's rating would have been pushed up.

Plus 'mewling quim' sounds like something Loki would say. He's quite debonair and well spoken, so whilst '****' could have had held more weight, it wouldn't feel like something he'd say.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Qitz said:
Both those answers above.

**** is a well known insult so it's not going to carry the same weight. I would bet most people thought Quim was some made up word just for that scene.
I thought it was like an old-timey english word, something that Shakespeare would say.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
It's a fairly seldom=used word in Britain, I can't speak for the US, and whilst the US media is prone to underestimating the strength of British slang or profanities, this isn't a case of that.

It's a slightly odd word, but not particularly offensive, even in the UK. It's on the same level as 'clam'.

The US tends to clamp down a lot more firmly on swearing, as a rule, and with the bar for everything set higher, even on that adjusted scale, **** is more offensive in the US than in the UK.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
catalyst8 said:
I saw the new Avengers film last week & was pleasantly surprised by it. In contrast with most of the other Marvel films the narrative arc is solid, the plot competant, & the characterization rich.

What also caught my attention was a line delivered by
the main antagonist Loki, when he referred to the Black Widow as a 'mewling quim'. Obviously quim is considered a more extreme pejorative than ****, & yet I'm certain that if the latter rather than the former term had been used then the censors would have insisted on its removal.

I thoroughly oppose political & artistic censorship in all its forms, so was overjoyed to discover that apparently 'quim' is perfectly acceptable for children. This does beg the question though, why isn't '****'? EDIT: this is in the context of an audience of native English speakers.

CAPTCHA: in the limelight.
I think the Escapist Oracle has a great sense of humour.
As for why they don't care about the word "quim"...

CODE-D said:
Because I dont know what a quim is nor do i care to look it up.
This is pretty much your answer. I'd imagine the vast majority of the casual movie audience doesn't really know what a "quim" is to begin with, they probably thought Loki was using some fancy Asgardian word. :p

Dave Chappelle has a joke that relates to this in regards to the Lil' John song featuring a chorus of simply shouting "SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET!" and the fact that the song is being played on the radio without the word "skeet" being censored out. Why is it this way? Quote Dave: "Because white people don't know what it means yet! As soon as they figure it out they'll be like 'Dear god! What have we done?!' "

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Well I'm an english speaker, from England, where all the English stuff comes from, and I can say with complete confidence that I have heard the word quim before, and I do know what it means.

And while I don't wish to contradict anyone else here, since I'm not fully versed on the whole 'which word is worse' thing, I wouldn't say quim was anywhere near the same category as ****.

Just sayin'...

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah only people with a fairly hefty knowledge of "Ye Olde Englishe" will know what it means without being told, so it's just Joss sneaking in a swear word.

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
Same as the rest: I'm a native English speaker, I read a LOT of material in my academic life, and I've never heard of the word either. One can only assume that the OP is trolling.

Also, I'm seeing the Avengers in three and a half hours :D:D:D:D

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Quim is a lot more classier than ****. As Loki, in all fairness is quite classy, **** coming out of his mouth would sounds wrong.