The Bad Parts of your Favourite Game(s)

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
Crash Bandicoot's racing levels are ok, although they are stripped down to the bare bones and I've always suspected they have the MarioKart problem of cheating AI.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Minecraft is buggy as shit, Planescape: Torment is a text-based game with tiny text boxes, Metroid games have an arguably excessive amount of backtracking, Spirit Engine 2 makes people look like they have big heads, Deus Ex isn't very good as a shooter, Witcher games have gratuitous male-gaze-related elements, and Rome: Total War has a dated engine and not enough moddability.

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
I've found going back to Ps2 and Ps1 era games now only seems to work with cartoony games, with the exception of games that accommodate with other factors like Silent 2 and 3's low visibility. Anyway, human characters in these games just do not work now that we've been spoiled on better graphical fidelity. Tony Hawk's 1 is great to go back to, but Tony Hawk's 4 looks like total arse.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
It's not my favorite, but the only one I can really mention is Deadly Premonition.
I honestly would give it a 10/10 because I can forgive its flaws, so that should qualify it as one of my favorites...

-Generally horrible textures (obvious).
-Mediocre at best horror (although I really dislike horror, so I'm okay with that).
-Once the plot finally hits its peak, there's a moment of wonderful before it all goes completely insane (and there's even some really good moments tied to some of the stupidest moments I've ever experienced in a game). This one is hard to describe without spoilers though as some of the crazy stuff is actually the best stuff in the game while other stuff (the final boss, mainly) is so awkward.
-There's a silly/nonsensical element that's hard to define if it was accidental or not. Some of it really comes across as accidental (which honestly makes the game look ridiculous), but it's hard not to believe that they knew they were adding it (FK in the coffee is played straight, that awkward background music that chimes in every once in a while, the completely pointless scenes with that old woman who can't hear well).
-Um. Yeah?

It's hard not to talk about the amazing stuff too, to be honest. xD

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The Warriors: Every time I play the Moonrunners level before the levels that are based on the movie. The Moonrunners constantly use the dive tackle and spray can attacks and in groups so I get really angry when a group forms because I have to run and wait till the group goes away and then go back into the level taking them out as quick as possible before I get rushed down again.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Resident Evil 4, and the stupid, stuupid, STUUUPID! BULLDOZER SEGMENT! Sure it was a good idea, but it is so annoying. I hate how tedious it is, and every time I play it I almost want to quit just so I don't have to play that part. In fact I'm just going to say that the whole Island segment of Resident Evil 4 sucked, except for the regenerators of course.

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
(by the way, yes I am slumming it with a Ps2 at this point. The 360, Ps3 and the Wii are all back home with my bro while I'm at Uni)

Burnout 3 Takedown's Coupe series is ridiculous. They're too light on the handling to begin with, but to have the preceding series being all Muscle cars, and then putting half the tracks on icy roads? Sheer debris-spewing madness.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Team Fortress 2: The 'economy' is absolutely bullshit.

Hats, which have no purpose besides cosmetic effects, cost way too much and have no set value, it's all bartering and luck. It's even worse with the Mann Co. Store, which charges absolutely horrible amounts of money for hats, especially miscellaneous slots.

Teddy Roosebelt, which really is just a teddy bear the Engineer carries in his ammo pouch. Adorable, but that costs you fucking $20.
Quoted for truth. If it's not Valve overcharging players with real money, it's greedy players asking for completely one-sided trades. Why should I give you four hats for your one? They're hats. They don't give you any advantages (well except for the Polycount hats, but those were an isolated incident). I think it would have been better if Valve only allowed one-for-one trading to help prevent this sort of thing.

Tie Fighter is one of my favorite Star Wars games, but I have to admit it can be hair-pullingly difficult at times:

"You will be flying an unshielded Tie Interceptor for this mission. You must destroy a minefield and inspect the containers at its center. A Light Calamari Cruiser is rumored to be in the area with a full complement of fighters, so be quick about it."

*mid-way through the mission*

"Oh guess what, Alpha 1? We've defected to the Rebels and this mission is basically a huge trap. Now fight off multiple waves of Tie Advanced fighters that are better than you in every way. Oh yeah, and your wingmen are going to turn on you as well. Tootles!"

Tibs

Mar 23, 2011
My favorite game (Battlefield Bad Company 2) had a pretty weak Single player that I only did for the achievements. I had to drag myself through it two times.

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
Tibs said:
My favorite game (Battlefield Bad Company 2) had a pretty weak Single player that I only did for the achievements. I had to drag myself through it two times.
It's a weird comparison, but that pretty much mirrors my experience of Guitar Hero 3.

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
"Oh guess what, Alpha 1? We've defected to the Rebels and this mission is basically a huge trap. Now fight off multiple waves of Tie Advanced fighters that are better than you in every way. Oh yeah, and your wingmen are going to turn on you as well. Tootles!"
Betrayal's quite a common one as far as ramping up the difficulty goes in games, isn't it?

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Heavy Rain, why can't I kill Ethan or Shelby? It sucks when you know that they can't die until the end scene. That means they both are in no danger for most of the game. :mad:

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
Saints Row 2:

A favourite for letting me do pretty much anything I wanted, without the nasty grey-scale of GTA4. The customisation of pretty much everything keeps me playing, and I spend most of my in-game cash on cars and clothing. My only gripes with it are the relatively high cost of ammo right at the start, the utterly pathetic police - They have helicopters and APC's with machine guns, but it's not difficult just to keep on killing them, and the racing/chase missions in veichles. Nothing wrong with those in particular, other than the massive amount of other NPC traffic that always seems to appear when you're doing them.

Knights Of The Old Republic 2:

Brilliant follow-on from the first game, despite being relativly the same. I loved the advanced Light Saber/gun/sword/armour upgrade stuff, really made me consider which skills I wanted to put points into and what classes I wanted to play/side characters I wanted to advance. The graphics were fantastic for the original xbox and it still looks pretty good when I play it through the current gen 360's. The story line was curious, and making character conversation much more important for finding out what was actually going on and advancing the characters them selves was excellent. I didnt know you could convert your whole team to Jedi the first play through, and the delicate balance of good/bad actions vs. what would gain you more influence with a character made the decisions much more interesting.

My only negative experiance is the limited amount of worlds - though they were absolutely huge - and the Nar Shaddaa world which just took an insane amount of time to lift off from the couple of starting missions there. And once you got into it, you couldnt do much else other than the Nar Shaddaa missions. The ending was also a little frustrating - the Ebon Hawk zooms off into the stars. I'd wanted abit more, personally. But nothing will stop me replaying the game, every few months.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
That bit in the New Mortal Kombat when...

Sindel shows up and reverse gang rapes the heros. She kills 7 and knocks Sonya and Cage unconcious

Oh and the Online Mode is god awfull.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
The Pokemon designs have been progressively getting exponentially worse. In the Pokemon, in the Character art, in the level construction, in the gym balancing, in the story writing. As of Generation 5, the overall quality has plummeted. I was actually outraged by the Elite 4 in Generation 5. It was a self contained square of permanently useless Pokemon types that were all weak too the same things they were strong against, and the lack of sequentiality took away any sense of tension as they were all as useless as everyone else instead if it getting more difficult has you progressed. The story actually had the potential to be something really amazing forcing players to re-examine their relationships with their Pokemon and whether or not battling was okay, but then it undermines its own story and handles the topic in a childish and incompetent manner (opting to simply discredit the pro-Pokemon rights side instead of actually giving closure to the argument). The Pokemon are just plain hideous, with some of the most idiotic looking designs I've ever seen. Swwoobat, Conkeldurr, Stoutland. Not pretty. Not pretty at all. Not to mention either that a lot of the Pokemon are actually just cheap knock offs of Generation 1 pokemon (Woobat:Zubat, Blitzle:ponyta, Timburr: Machop, Tympole:poliwag, Sandile: Sandshrew, to name a few).

I love Pokemon...Generation 5 is stupid.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
The Magma Frag Launcher is War for Cybertron. I love the multiplayer to bits, but this weapon is the most overpowered piece of crap ever- highly accurate, extraordinarily powerful, very fast, quick reload time. Extremely unbalanced weapon.

Oh, and the damn connection problems the War for Cybertron servers have. Awful. The rest of the game is an absolute blast, though.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
BrailleOperatic said:
The Pokemon designs have been progressively getting exponentially worse. In the Pokemon, in the Character art, in the level construction, in the gym balancing, in the story writing. As of Generation 5, the overall quality has plummeted. I was actually outraged by the Elite 4 in Generation 5. It was a self contained square of permanently useless Pokemon types that were all weak too the same things they were strong against, and the lack of sequentiality took away any sense of tension as they were all as useless as everyone else instead if it getting more difficult has you progressed. The story actually had the potential to be something really amazing forcing players to re-examine their relationships with their Pokemon and whether or not battling was okay, but then it undermines its own story and handles the topic in a childish and incompetent manner (opting to simply discredit the pro-Pokemon rights side instead of actually giving closure to the argument). The Pokemon are just plain hideous, with some of the most idiotic looking designs I've ever seen. Swwoobat, Conkeldurr, Stoutland. Not pretty. Not pretty at all. Not to mention either that a lot of the Pokemon are actually just cheap knock offs of Generation 1 pokemon (Woobat:Zubat, Blitzle:ponyta, Timburr: Machop, Tympole:poliwag, Sandile: Sandshrew, to name a few).

Oh, and don't forget the ice cream cone pokemon.
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

DannyFree

Feb 8, 2009
BrailleOperatic said:
I think I saw the seeds of the "stupid Pokémon" thing being sown back with the Mudkip.
As Silver/Gold is my favourite I will say that the gap between defeating the Elite Four and the grind it takes to take on Red and the Silver Cave is too large. Also as I'm currently playing Platinum, poffin-making and concerts are massive wastes of time.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
One word: Orzammar.
I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but that level never fails to make me want to stop playing for a week or two before getting it over with. The atmosphere is bland, the boss in the middle can be annoying as hell and insanely difficult if not prepared and it's just so long winded.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
The dragged out sequences between puzzles in Portal 2. Still an excellent game, and the scenery looked nice at least.

And the hacking minigame in bioshock, especially when the randomised set-up makes it so that you can't finish it because there's too many blockers in the way.