The Banner Saga Review - The Gods are Dead

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
JonB said:
Azudarko said:
tzimize said:
PS: Feel like giving me a hint in a spoiler tag or PM about which toons to level for the finale?
Just make sure that you've got your daughter decently well-leveled. Depending on choices, as far as I can tell, she may be necessary. My end-game party was Iver, Rook, Hakon, Oddlief, Alette, and the mender guy whose name I forget.
Just worth noting that it definitely doesn't require Alette. Rook OR Oddleif can do it fine. Final battle only requires one of them.
Probably really relies on your choices (build up father-daughter relationship?). I only had the choice to let Rook or Alette do it. Even when I chose Rook, Alette said something like "just make sure that we are at least together", so I could not move Alette out of the party in the party screen.
So ofc I had to reload and let Alette (lvl 2) do it so I could win the second part of the boss battle.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
rofltehcat said:
Probably really relies on your choices (build up father-daughter relationship?). I only had the choice to let Rook or Alette do it. Even when I chose Rook, Alette said something like "just make sure that we are at least together", so I could not move Alette out of the party in the party screen.
So ofc I had to reload and let Alette (lvl 2) do it so I could win the second part of the boss battle.
Re: Rook, Alette, end of game

That's bananas. I did not have that. This game might have way more branches than I thought.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Just wanted to pop in to say I've played and beaten this game, and barring some issues with the renown system it's a beautiful, challenging, and fairly unique experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who likes tactics games.

Just a few helpful hints for those just starting: As challenging as the game can be, don't avoid fights: You're going to need the extra renown. Don't trust bandits, or anyone who purports to be bandits, or was a bandit at any time. Value your archers - this coincidentally means some of your main characters - like Rook, Oddleif, and Alette.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
Played and beaten the game and contrary to to popular opinion I thought the renown system was neat. It really hammered down the whole doom and gloom theme constantly running out of supplies and having to make hard choices between helping your clansmen or bettering your heroes. Not knowing whether a particular command decision would have a positive or negative outcome also helped, in Rook's case at least, with the reluctant leader thrust into a command he is not ready for motif.

Noticed a few glitches in the story though.
Alette said she had been talking with Ekkill but I never had him join my caravan

Edit: One gripe I do have is with their save system. I know the arguments I made above could also be used in support of an unforgiving save system but I really like games that have a manual save system even if it is only supplementary.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
JonB said:
rofltehcat said:
Re: Rook, Alette, end of game

That's bananas. I did not have that. This game might have way more branches than I thought.
Yeah, I didn't have that choice either. It's fine though since I did use Alette the entire game and actually reloaded once I beat it to have Rook die in her place :p

You play as Rook for so long in the game that I kind of got into his mindset. There's no way I'd let my daughter die for me!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I got a shameful confession to make....

I used cheatengine to give me more renown :( So I was able to enjoy the game a lot more without worrying so much about renown management...

Don't worry though, the game still managed to make me cry tears of blood when a decision made early game came back to haunt me...And I lost my best and most leveled tank character+had half my team badly wounded and spitting up blood.
Keeping spoilers to a minimum, the beauty of this part is there was actually a few clues that it would happen+one character you recruit literally tells you to watch out for x who is a backstabbing traitor...Except in that point of the story you are unlikely to believe his word and instead see that char as a lying psychopathic scoundrel who people question you for even letting in the caravan in the first place...Yet he was right, he was soo right, and I didn't listen! :'(

I'll try the game without the cheating at some point but despite enjoying my strategy games, found this game quite hard. I dunno how people beat the boss on normal without a full team of lvl5s equipped with uber gear.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
Frankster said:
I got a shameful confession to make....

I used cheatengine to give me more renown :( So I was able to enjoy the game a lot more without worrying so much about renown management...

Don't worry though, the game still managed to make me cry tears of blood when a decision made early game came back to haunt me...And I lost my best and most leveled tank character+had half my team badly wounded and spitting up blood.
Keeping spoilers to a minimum, the beauty of this part is there was actually a few clues that it would happen+one character you recruit literally tells you to watch out for x who is a backstabbing traitor...Except in that point of the story you are unlikely to believe his word and instead see that char as a lying psychopathic scoundrel who people question you for even letting in the caravan in the first place...Yet he was right, he was soo right, and I didn't listen! :'(

I'll try the game without the cheating at some point but despite enjoying my strategy games, found this game quite hard. I dunno how people beat the boss on normal without a full team of lvl5s equipped with uber gear.
It doesn't help that Ekkill's idle animation consist solely of an eye twitch and finger tapping. Did you at least get good use out of Ekkill as a hero? On my second play through now and I am really loving his special. I also think he is one of the most tragic characters given his back story with his brother-in-law.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
SexyGarfield said:
It doesn't help that Ekkill's idle animation consist solely of an eye twitch and finger tapping. Did you at least get good use out of Ekkill as a hero? On my second play through now and I am really loving his special. I also think he is one of the most tragic characters given his back story with his brother-in-law.
Lol that obvious I'm talking about Ekkill eh? xD
I had initially avoided using him as had fallen for the other guys lies and thought Ekkill was going to be the troublemaker...
After that unfortunte turn of events though, Ekkill pretty much became the battle party leader (formerly this was Egil...), becoming one of my best scrappers even without his awesome special since his statline is really solid. His special is just icing on the cake, if you can get the enemy to bunch up you can weaken them all in 1 go regardless of armor ^^

And yeh on top of him being awesome in gameplay terms, ended up really liking this character cos of his backstory having a lot more depth then what you initially believe and him being an all round awesome character.