The Bat Gets a Board Game in Batman: Arkham City Escape

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Bat Gets a Board Game in Batman: Arkham City Escape

Even if you always expect the unexpected, this board game adaptation may surprise you.

If you're like me, you had a single nagging thought at the edge of your mind as you played through Batman: Arkham City: "This intense reflex-based combat is great for a video game, but you know where it would be even better? A board game." Okay, no, I wasn't thinking that either. But somebody was, and now the idea is soon to be a reality. The board game craftsmen at Cryptozoic Entertainment are putting together a spinoff tabletop game based on the 2011 video game, and as strange as it may seem, it doesn't look half bad.

Batman: Arkhman City Escape pits two players against one another in the same premise as the video game: the inmates of Arkham Asylum have taken over, and it's up to the Dark Knight to stop them. One player dons the cape and cowl of Batman (only figuratively, to my great disappointment) and uses a deck of combat cards and utility belt gadgets. The other player controls a handful of villains from Batman's expansive rogues' gallery, drawing from 40 of Batman's most iconic enemies. The villains are attempting to take hostages and escape Arkham, while Batman must apprehend them before they get out and wreak havoc on Gotham.

There's enough clever elements to the board game to prevent it from most criticisms of cashing on a successful video game. Gargoyle statues are randomly scattered around the board, providing Batman with quick transport just like in the video game. The Riddler's trophies appear to be present on the board as well, just in case you thought they'd forgotten to include any element of Arkham City. The cards feature some nice-looking depictions of Batman's friends, foes and gadgets, seemingly pulled straight from the game engine. The Bat will even earn experience points for dispatching foes. Okay, so maybe they could have brought in some original ideas, but the board game should be nothing if not faithful to its source material.

Batman: Arkham City Escape is slated to hit the shelves of the UK in June, with a release window of Q2 2013 for other regions. That should give you plenty of time to work on your costume. There's no point in pretending to be Batman if you're not going to go all out.

Source: Cryptozoic [http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/batman-arkham-city-escape]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They might want to rename the game, somehow this song doesn't seem to fit Batman's image.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, I've seen worse material turned into worse board games.

[sub][sub][sub]You are now singing "City Escape" from Sonic Adventure 2 in the Christian Bale Batman voice.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

edit: Aaaaand I wasn't the only on thinking that.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Worgen said:
They might want to rename the game, somehow this song doesn't seem to fit Batman's image.
Mr. Omega said:
[sub][sub][sub]You are now singing "City Escape" from Sonic Adventure 2 in the Christian Bale Batman voice.[/sub][/sub][/sub]
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that though of Sonic Adventure 2 when I saw the name.

OT: But anyway, name aside, I don't know that anyway was particularly asking for this, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Worgen said:
Mr. Omega said:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that though of Sonic Adventure 2 when I saw the name.

OT: But anyway, name aside, I don't know that anyway was particularly asking for this, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad.
Yeah, I was there too. I do love that game though.

OT: I want this board game. Hopefully it will be released here so I wont have to import it. something at that size would probably cost a lot to send here...

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Next stop: Tabletop!

... As in the show... on the internet.

Captcha: shuffle the deck
Quite apt.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Heh heh heh heh heh heh...AHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAA!!!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. After all, as much as we love Batman, we love the Joker too, so get your Mark Hamill impressions ready.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
There must be a butt load of get out of jail free cards :p
*drum rimshot*

OT: I've heard of worse concepts for a board game. I'm just laughing because recently I've been playing through Arkham City again so seeing this article is pretty coincidental. I'm betting the "combat" will be dice-based with a power advantage given to the Caped Crusader while the other player(s) get a strength-in-numbers advantage.