The Batman Officially Finds its Director

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BuildsLegos said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Bah I have no respect for Marvel Thor, he's a mockery of actual Norse Mythology.
MCU Asgard is notably more dignified than Stargate Asgard, who cloned themselves into shriveled husks. Or is it Thor particularly that you have beef with? Missing Act 2 aside, Thor's initially douchy ego is what we call "room for character development".

Back to the fun space adventure: with all of your raging that a 1940's comic book monster ripped off a 1990's cartoon, why not accuse Rocket Raccoon of ripping off Insomniac's Ratchet? They're each a cute little furry in space with a collection of huge guns and side-kick that can be compared to Iron Giant.
1. I always thought Thor was lame because, well that's it he just some Marvel-fyed version of Thor? Lame. Might aswell read his actuall Norse Mythology than Marvel's crossover fanfic. And I know you would counter me saying well Wonder Woman

Groot's portrayal in the movie is just blatent ripoff of the Iron Giant more. Right down to the fact that both characters were played by Vin Diesel, right down to how their voices sound, right down to their sacrifices and ressurection. I mean if you switched Groot with the Iron Giant, it would have been the same movie.

Clank is more his own charcater and can talk.

And Ratchet(at least his potrayal in the original PS2 Games) is cooler than Rocket Raccoon.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
BuildsLegos said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But really now, what exactly is so "lame" about MCU Thor? The source material doesn't have aliens or robots
Exactly.

I rather watch Wagner's Operas of Norse Myth or read the Tale of Sigurd and Gudrun edited by Tolkien.
Its a very random tangent we're off on, but have you checked out Neil Gaiman's new book "Norse Mythology"?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Seth Carter said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BuildsLegos said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But really now, what exactly is so "lame" about MCU Thor? The source material doesn't have aliens or robots
Exactly.

I rather watch Wagner's Operas of Norse Myth or read the Tale of Sigurd and Gudrun edited by Tolkien.
Its a very random tangent we're off on, but have you checked out Neil Gaiman's new book "Norse Mythology"?
Nope, but I thank you for the recommendation.

Nov 28, 2007
008Zulu said:
Pyrian said:
I've never understood the collective freak-out over bat nipples.
It had to do with the designs laid down by the director, Joel Schumacher, who is openly gay. People thought he was trying to make Batman gay.
To be fair, someone involved with Batman and Robin was. It just wasn't Schumacher. According to George Clooney, he intentionally played Batman as gay [https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/clooney-claims-his-batman-was-gay-barbara-walters-interviews-other-people/].

OT: I don't mind the pictures that are at night, but that desert photo...Yeesh. It's the kind of picture where you could write "Derp" along the bottom of it, and it would describe the facial expression perfectly.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
thebobmaster said:
OT: I don't mind the pictures that are at night, but that desert photo...Yeesh. It's the kind of picture where you could write "Derp" along the bottom of it, and it would describe the facial expression perfectly.
It was supposed to be some post-apocalyptic dream sequence Bruce had where Superman went full evil. Blame Goyer, he wrote that movie.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Why is Batman wearing a jacket and goggles? It looks so wrong. I've pretty much ignored the new version of Batman completely, so when I see the outfit I'm still slightly repulsed.

The scene is from a 'dream' sequence in which Superman has become a tyrant under Darkseid and Batman leads the resistance against him. The look is a visual reference to "Superman: Red Son", in which Superman is an authoritarian dictator and Batman is a 'freedom-fighter'. Of course, the long coat makes a lot more sense in frozen Siberia than in desert-like-wherever-that-place-is.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
They are calling this movie 'The Batman'?

Hahahahaha....
Oh my...
That is just sad...

With a title like that, it better be the DEFINITIVE version of Batman, because I mean, this is THE BATMAN! as the title implies.

Really ... This is just pathetic.

Honestly, none of them have beaten Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson yet. That movie still holds up, even with the suit that made it impossible for Keaton to turn his head. But that was a movie that worked and the characters had actual depth and chemistry together, actors that worked well together and suited the parts. Anything after that is just a massive slide downwards towards big names and big spectacle and a complete misunderstanding of how a batman movie should work.
And yes, I have seen the ever praised Dark Knight, with the line "I think you and I are destined to do this forever." which proved to be slightly ever so ironic for Heath Ledger.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Did you like Adam West Batman? If you do, than you will like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.
"Batman Forever" was far less campy than Adam West and often had a decent tone (though, quite litterally, the ugliest music score of which I can think). It isn't perfect by a long shot. Example: Someone must have told TLJ to ham it up and act like Joker, cuz, he was popular and execs think you should just redo whatever worked in the past. Sadly, sometimes, they are right in terms of cash. Batman and Robin only works as a "So Bad it is Good" kind of experience. Watch it to laugh at it.

If your a fan of diverse iterations of the character I hope you've seen Lego Batman. Quite good.