The Batman trailer is here

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Batman continues to be Batman. I've come to accept that Detective Batman is dead and gone.

But show me charismatic-yet-boorish playboy Bruce Wayne. That'll park me in a theater

Car looks much better though. Minimal transformation sequence and it could almost pass for street legal.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, I can confidently say my enthusiasm for this would have been much lower if this was a DCEU movie. I don't watch them at all. Batman is more known than all but maybe Superman anyway and already has a strong collection of villains and supporting characters (many of which they, sadly, won't ever use because of how serious these movies are), so there isn't much benefit in tying him heavily into the larger universe.

I'm relieved Catwoman's suit doesn't look as shitty as in those pictures that surfaced a month ago. I hope she loses that dumb hood fast. Batman's suit is still kind of lame, though. I wonder how much all that armor would impede his sneaky ninja skills, if he even still used them. I really wanna see some making of footage that shows how loud it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That said I think it looks cool. I wasnt expecting them to pull off a different tone thematically for this one, but I think they nailed it. Difficult not to compare this and Nolans and say it isn't significantly darker. It shares more in common with The Crow that any previous Batman.
All the more ironic, because The Crow (1994) took plenty of influence from Batman '89.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's telling that the Flash movie trailer seems more interested in teasing Batman than the Flash himself. :(

Also, really don't get why the DCEU needs a reboot. Like, what corners has it backed itself into?

Yeah, I can confidently say my enthusiasm for this would have been much lower if this was a DCEU movie.
I'm the exact opposite.

I don't even know why this has to be separate. You wouldn't even need to cast Batfleck in the role, since this is Bats at the start of his career rather than the end of it. Yeah, you'd have to adjust some of the cast, such as Commisoner Gordon and arguably Alfred, but what exactly would be lose by having it in the DCEU?

That's not to say it would be bad, and I'm not saying that every DC property has to fit a single multiverse (e.g. I prefer the Arrowverse being its own thing), but the live-action approach is weird right now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's telling that the Flash movie trailer seems more interested in teasing Batman than the Flash himself.

Also, really don't get why the DCEU needs a reboot. Like, what corners has it backed itself into?

I'm the exact opposite.

I don't even know why this has to be separate. You wouldn't even need to cast Batfleck in the role, since this is Bats at the start of his career rather than the end of it. Yeah, you'd have to adjust some of the cast, such as Commisoner Gordon and arguably Alfred, but what exactly would be lose by having it in the DCEU?

That's not to say it would be bad, and I'm not saying that every DC property has to fit a single multiverse (e.g. I prefer the Arrowverse being its own thing), but the live-action approach is weird right now.
Shazam 2 has a trailer out, and Peacemaker has a trailer too, so it ain't exactly over the DCEU yet. Looking at the shift of how comic book movies are going over the past couple of years: nearly anything goes at this point. Continuity be damned.

Aquaman 2 has a behind the scenes trailer, so it's getting something. I am very excited.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Shazam 2 has a trailer out, and Peacemaker has a trailer too, so it ain't exactly over the DCEU yet. Looking at the shift of how comic book movies are going over the past couple of years: nearly anything goes at this point. Continuity be damned.

Aquaman 2 has a behind the scenes trailer, so it's getting something. I am very excited.
The DCEU isn't over, yes, so why are they rebooting it?

Like, at this point in time, the confirmed release date of the upcoming films are Black Adam>The Flash>Aquaman 2>Shazam 2. Further down the line is Batgirl, Blue Beetle, The Amazons, Wonder Woman 3, Zatanna, and Black Canary.

There's many things you could say about the DCEU, including the lack of an overall plan, plus the weird irony that Supes and Bats have been overshadowed by their lesser known counterparts, but that doesn't warrant a reboot in of itself. Again, looking at the order, The Flash will reboot stuff after Black Adam, but after that we've got two sequels, so...do the originals remain in canon, or are they sequels in name only?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The DCEU isn't over, yes, so why are they rebooting it?
I was under the assumption that The Batman was just going to be its own thing, and not a full reboot. Considering a lot of these heroes are getting sequels, spin-offs, or their own films/TV shows within the DCEU, I don't think WB/DC is gonna burn the universe to the ground just yet. Does not make much sense to reboot something (this has not stopped gaming and film companies before), when there is already a large and dedicated audience and fan base. I don't have the answers to everything, but I am not gonna panic or fret over it. I more than happy that these films and character I love are getting their due, and that's all I need for now.

I suggest you don't waste too much time worrying and looking YT, click bait "theory" videos for answers. Best thing to do now is wait.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I'm the exact opposite.

I can't take Batman seriously if I know the character lives on the same Earth as Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. It cheapens the whole mythology and mood for me. It's obviously unnecessary, looking at the hype this movie already has and how successful Nolan's were.

The New Batman Aventures had that episode where Batgirl teams up with Supergirl. That I was okay with only because the mood in TNBA had changed so much from Batman: The Animated Series and the episode was one of the more lighthearted ones anyway.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can't take Batman seriously if I know the character lives on the same Earth as Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. It cheapens the whole mythology and mood for me. It's obviously unnecessary, looking at the hype this movie already has and how successful Nolan's were.

The New Batman Aventures had that episode where Batgirl teams up with Supergirl. That I was okay with only because the mood in TNBA had changed so much from Batman: The Animated Series and the episode was one of the more lighthearted ones anyway.
I think Batman in a shared universe can still work, but he absolutely needs to be built up from his origins first. The DCAU definitely did this best. Bats barely even wanted to be part of the League, and he was well aware that he couldn't stand with the rest of the Leaguers as they fought gods and all powerful monsters. So everything he did was behind the scenes, supporting them in his own way. Unlike in the more recent versions, where he needs to be out on the frontlines with them, running around with an alien gun making pretty much no impact besides a handful of grunts being taken out.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I was under the assumption that The Batman was just going to be its own thing, and not a full reboot.
It is, but that isn't the point. The film was originally going to be in the DCEU with Batfleck, but shifted into its own thing in its own continuity. But from everything I've seen of the trailers, there's not anything in there that clashes with the DCEU. Maybe some casting, but that's it. It seems like a wasted opportunity.

I suggest you don't waste too much time worrying and looking YT, click bait "theory" videos for answers. Best thing to do now is wait.
I don't, but the Flash Flashpoint thing irritates me on a number of levels. In that:

a) It's meant to be Barry's film, but it's selling itself on Batman

b) You can't change a status quo unless you've established a status quo. This is me stating the obvious, but starting a Flash storyline via Flashpoint is bizzare.

c) What's the point of a reboot if you're continuing on anyway?

Really, it's just a series of bizzare decisions.

I understand what you mean, but I can buy Batman being in the same universe, if not necessarily being a member of the Justice League on the same footing as Supes.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Ezekiel, check this discussion video from Double Toasted. I think you will like the discussion.

It is, but that isn't the point. The film was originally going to be in the DCEU with Batfleck, but shifted into its own thing in its own continuity. But from everything I've seen of the trailers, there's not anything in there that clashes with the DCEU. Maybe some casting, but that's it. It seems like a wasted opportunity.
Oh, well, Let's hope they make the best of it. I am not that sad over it, sssoooooo...not to much of a deal breaker for me.

I don't, but the Flash Flashpoint thing irritates me on a number of levels. In that:

a) It's meant to be Barry's film, but it's selling itself on Batman

b) You can't change a status quo unless you've established a status quo. This is me stating the obvious, but starting a Flash storyline via Flashpoint is bizzare.

c) What's the point of a reboot if you're continuing on anyway?

Really, it's just a series of bizzare decisions.
All true, but I am still moving forward and not gonna dwell on this too much.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
@Ezekiel, check this discussion video from Double Toasted. I think you will like the discussion.
I'm actually not watching any more Batman trailers. I've already decided it will be my first theatrical experience since 2019. Disastrous information would have to come out for me to change my mind.

By the way, I was finally able to hang those Batman Animated Series art cards today. Double-sided tape sucks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm actually not watching any more Batman trailers. I've already decided it will be my first theatrical experience since 2019. Disastrous information would have to come out for me to change my mind.
No problem; understandable.

By the way, I was finally able to hang those Batman Animated Series art cards. Double-sided tape sucks.
Nice!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Granted, I haven't watched most of them, but I can't remember a worse Batman theme. Also didn't realize how much his suit just makes him look like a regular guy until I watched that background. There's no theatricality to his suit. Even the pants just look like pants.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Granted, I haven't watched most of them, but I can't remember a worse Batman theme. Also didn't realize how much his suit just makes him look like a regular guy until I watched that background. There's no theatricality to his suit. Even the pants just look like pants.
The theme almost sounds like the Imperial March near the beginning and halfway through. Sounds fine, but that comparison is never leaving my head.

I am assuming that is the point to this Batman's costume. He's young, just barely starting out, and is probably in a beta-ish phase. Given this movie is getting the grounded treatment, it does not surprise. Which is odd, because the Nolan Trilogy already did that, but even Bale Batman's costume had more theatrics than this one. I honestly don't consider this (the new costume) a bad thing, and I actually like it. I find it better than the Bale outfit. Sure, not as good as the Afflick Bat's costume, but I don't care.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The theme almost sounds like the Imperial March near the beginning and halfway through. Sounds fine, but that comparison is never leaving my head.
That's three of four forums I've posted this at that someone said it's like Imperial March. Wouldn't have noticed it myself.

I am assuming that is the point to this Batman's costume. He's young, just barely starting out, and is probably in a beta-ish phase. Given this movie is getting the grounded treatment, it does not surprise. Which is odd, because the Nolan Trilogy already did that, but even Bale Batman's costume had more theatrics than this one. I honestly don't consider this (the new costume) a bad thing, and I actually like it. I find it better than the Bale outfit. Sure, not as good as the Afflick Bat's costume, but I don't care.
I wish Affleck's ears were longer. But I like that his suit it more textile, unlike every other cinematic Batman covered in hard plates.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wish Affleck's ears were longer. But I like that his suit it more textile, unlike every other cinematic Batman covered in hard plates.
I've seen people complain about the ears, and I think they're fine. This is not the first time Bat-fans have complained about Batman's ears being too long, too medium, too short, etc. I tend ignore the criticisms for most versions.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Director:

In my view, I just feel drawn to finding the grounded version of everything. So to me it would be a challenge in an interesting way to try and figure out how that could happen, even the idea of something like Mr. Freeze, that such a great story, right? I think there's actually a grounded version of that story, which could be really powerful and could be really great. So, I love the fantastical side of Batman, but this iteration, obviously, while being, to me, I think it is very comics faithful, but I don't think that this one is necessarily, it doesn't lean as hard into the fantastical, I guess. But I think to me what would be interesting would be to try and unwind the fantastical and see, well, how could that make sense here? And so that's kind of my view, how I see it.

"Grounded everything," lol. The sequel won't have Freeze. Even if it does, he won't be anything like the Freeze you know. He won't instantly freeze things with an ice gun. He'll probably walk around in a hazmat suit or some shit and spread a virus that gradually crystalizes cells. Because Warner Brothers can't deal with the fact that Batman was intended for kids and teens. Clayface, Freeze, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, immortal Ra's al Ghul, not happening. Not without totally gimping them. Sort of like Bane, who doesn't even get his veins pumped with Venom in TDKR. Being gritty and realistic makes it important, don't you know? Can't have Batman in a textile outfit either. Full armor or it's not getting greenlit.

I'm planning to see this in a cinema. But it looks pretentious.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I should see if my brother still has that Batman & Robin vhs. I'm having a hard time remembering why I thought it was bad

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, Batman and Robin was exactly what it was trying to be. Not as good as the Adam West one, but I like it.