The Batman trailer is here

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because Warner Brothers can't deal with the fact that Batman was intended for kids and teens. Clayface, Freeze, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, immortal Ra's al Ghul, not happening. Not without totally gimping them. Sort of like Bane, who doesn't even get his veins pumped with Venom in TDKR. Being gritty and realistic makes it important, don't you know? Can't have Batman in a textile outfit either. Full armor or it's not getting greenlit.
The funny thing is is that WB/DC is getting a damned if you do and damned if you don't by going on. Apparently, there are Batman fans already complaining that the movie is either "too long or too dark", yet none of them have seen the movie yet. Hypocritical biatch fans they be as always.

My big bro got us some tickets to see the movie early. We are going to see this.

If I need the more fantastical and goofy elements from Batman, I got plenty of other options to pick from. I love HBO Max.

I should see if my brother still has that Batman & Robin vhs. I'm having a hard time remembering why I thought it was bad
You can mainly blame Warner Brothers on that one. The director, nowhere near as much. He got too much blame shifted on them for that one. It didn't excuse the bat nipple on the costumes. I didn't care much for them as a kid, teen, or an adult. I was whatever.

Eh, Batman and Robin was exactly what it was trying to be. Not as good as the Adam West one, but I like it.
I'll tell you this: my mom, my dad, and my older brother love all the Batman movies from the late '80s and '90s. They love Batman Forever and Batman and Robin unironically. Batman '89 is still the best of them and me of course, but that's a given.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Four months of training in 1997 to '98:

CG-assisted kicks in 2020:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm sure I'll see this. I have so many nerd friends that will no matter what and I'll go with them to be sociable. But no matter the critic ratings, I can tell I will dislike this for so many reasons.

Example, the trailer shows Batman walking along as if he is Ironman or Superman with a number of machine gun toting guys unloading on him with machine guns, sparks bouncing off his "armor". Oy.

Reactions: Ezekiel

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
If your aim is to make a film that's serious and realistic why would you also allow it to look like that? Like, this film seems to be encompassing the worst of all worlds, stripping out the pantomime fun of Batman but also not having the confidence to fully look and feel like a proper psychological thriller.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Man I'm surprised the comments are so positive. I'm actually looking forward to the movie, and I still thought that looked janky as slow as fuck.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

I doubt the cinemas want intermissions anyway. It's more work for them. Someone having to check ticket stubs again. Fewer plays per day for the studios.

I really think the new Dune should have been a four hour movie with an intermission, rather than two movies.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Apparently UK cinema chains are a bit miffed that the BBFC has rated The Batman as suitable for audiences 15 years and over only. Though I must say, based on the trailers this didn’t seem like it was a movie appropriate for 12 year olds anyway so yeah. Not shocked myself.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Though I must say, based on the trailers this didn’t seem like it was a movie appropriate for 12 year olds anyway so yeah. Not shocked myself.
I betcha there are bunch parents, guardians, and older siblings that will take the kids to see the movie any way. It did not stop parents from taking their kids to see Batman Returns and the entire TDK Trilogy. Color me also not even shocked to the point there is no pulse.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I betcha there are bunch parents, guardians, and older siblings that will take the kids to see the movie any way. It did not stop parents from taking their kids to see Batman Returns and the entire TDK Trilogy. Color me also not even shocked to the point there is no pulse.
Batman Returns and The Dark Knight Saga we’re all rated 12+ which means as long as a parent is with them, they could see it. For a 15 movie the ticket holders are probably going to get carded because failure to enforce that rule will find the cinemas probably fined, possibly prosecuted if they’re flagrant as fuck about it.

Now will that mean kids under 15 won’t see it at all? Of course not, that’s been happening since time immemorial. Kids who look over 15 may not be carded because the cashier will make a judgement call, then there’s the old dodge of actually sneaking in by buying a ticket for something else and just going to a different cinema (though assigned seating makes this riskier than it used to be) and of course there’s just people who’ll just, you know, lie.

It’s just important to remember that in the UK (and Australia) these ratings are legally binding and handed down by (I think) a statutory agency with actual legal authority so violating them is slightly more of an issue than it is for the US.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s just important to remember that in the UK (and Australia) these ratings are legally binding and handed down by (I think) a statutory agency with actual legal authority so violating them is slightly more of an issue than it is for the US.
Good to know. I never knew UK and AU took the law so seriously in this regard.

Meanwhile in the US, it's business as usual. It's PG-13? Time bring in the kids 12 and under! It's PG-13! That means it's all family fun!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I enjoyed the movie a lot! Though I think the PG-13 rating really shows. A lot of energy in the movie is devoted to building up what seems to be a shocking or gruesome reveal, but it never gets as dark or twisted as the build up suggests. It's more the direction and the atmosphere than anything that actually happens.

The other thing is that whole movies (or episodes) seem to begin, develop and end within the movie itself. I was definitely feeling the 3 hours by the halfway point. This has miniseries written all over it.

Paul Dano as Riddler is great in it but somewhat underused, and his first public appearance cribs a little too much from that one Joker video in The Dark Knight. Everybody else is great too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In celebration, here's DT's review of Phantasm. I'll be going to the show soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just got back from seeing the movie.....

MY GOD THEY NAILED! EVERYONE NAILED IT!

For a three hour movie, it never dulls or feels slow. Nor do things speed along to quickly and unevenly. This movie is basically a live-action version of The Long Halloween. If anyone is worried about the movie being overboard darkness and being "too moody", you have nothing to fear. There are moments of intentional humor and dark humor that actually works and does not feel out-of-place.
I enjoyed the movie a lot! Though I think the PG-13 rating really shows. A lot of energy in the movie is devoted to building up what seems to be a shocking or gruesome reveal, but it never gets as dark or twisted as the build up suggests. It's more the direction and the atmosphere than anything that actually happens.

The other thing is that whole movies (or episodes) seem to begin, develop and end within the movie itself. I was definitely feeling the 3 hours by the halfway point. This has miniseries written all over it.
The movie had almost like 3 different endings, yet it works. I was definitely feeling it by the actual end.

Paul Dano as Riddler is great in it but somewhat underused, and his first public appearance cribs a little too much from that one Joker video in The Dark Knight
He actually is appropriately used to me. As far as the first public appearance goes, I noticed, but I did not care much.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I just got back from seeing the movie.....

MY GOD IS THEY NAILED! EVERYONE NAILED IT!

For a three hour movie, it never dulls or feels slow. Nor do things speed along to quickly and unevenly. This movie is basically a live-action version of The Long Halloween. If anyone is worried about the movie being overboard darkness and being "too moody", you have nothing to fear. There are moments of intentional humor and dark humor that actually works and does not feel out-of-place.

The movie had almost like 3 different endings, yet it works. I was definitely feeling it by the actual end.

He actually is appropriately used to me. As far as the first public appearance goes, I noticed, but I did not care much.
I'll rephrase that. He's in it enough, but I wish he was in person more often instead of "just" calling in most of the time.

I didn't mind the ending/s so much. It did feel like there were several climaxes long before we got to the third act though.