The Batman trailer is here

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Gotta say, im really impressed.

Really happy that DC is stepping away from the Zach Snyder movies, because those were utter garbage. Hopefully he never comes back.

It feels really nice to be excited about DC movies again, and not just groan uncontrollably whenever another one gets announced.

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I think the trailer's an interesting way to solve the post-Nolan problem. It's gone retro, taking up the space between Burton Gothic/Schumacher glam and whatever we want to call Nolan's post 9/11 look (I like Sharp Urban Nolan as a label). It's the 90s grunge Batman (hence the Seven and Crow influence, and the music cue) we skipped at the time. I think The Long Halloween came out around 96-7, so it fits the story influences too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hybrid Theory is the first and Meteora is the second.
Yeah, they were really good albums. I especially liked a remix album they did...shit what was it called. Um....Reanimation. It was a really cool setup, it alternated between metal remixes, and hiphop remixes of their songs. The remix of One Step Closer just straight up fucking kicks ass. The slow, ominous build of it, the more techno/edm style of the editing, and then the way it explodes at the end when the climax of the song hits, just fucking awesome.

I really hate to further derail this, but since the subject of music came up, I just really love this song. If you've never heard it, you should check it out. Probably one of my favorite remixes of a song that I enjoyed the original of. Potentially even better than the original for me. They even recruit the singer from Korn (I think, sure sounds like him) for some new lyrics during the middle point. It's just, REALLY fucking good.

I remember picking up this album and was literally half and half on it, as I'm not a big hiphop fan, so every other song I was like "meh, skip". But then got to this one at the end, and was just blown away.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I see that Bartman is clowning around again!

But in all seriousness it looks alright? Patterson's take on Batman is ok. Yeah we have all sorts of stories chronicling Batman's career like Year 1 and The Dark Knight Returns so I don't mind a younger Bruce Wayne/Batman. However I do agree that Patterson's Bruce looks a bit too much like a edgy emo boy from the 2000s. I don't wanna be reminded on what I did in my high school years. I am getting weird flashbacks from the Netlfix Death Note adaptation.

Also I felt like the part where Batman beats up that one guy continuously was too a bit too dragged out. Otherwise it looks fine. I do want to hope its good. After the attempt to make a DCCU failing spectacularly I just want to see a good Batman movie for once and if Joker is any indication then they are capable of making good movies. We'll have to see.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, they were really good albums. I especially liked a remix album they did...shit what was it called. Um....Reanimation. It was a really cool setup, it alternated between metal remixes, and hiphop remixes of their songs. The remix of One Step Closer just straight up fucking kicks ass. The slow, ominous build of it, the more techno/edm style of the editing, and then the way it explodes at the end when the climax of the song hits, just fucking awesome.

I really hate to further derail this, but since the subject of music came up, I just really love this song. If you've never heard it, you should check it out. Probably one of my favorite remixes of a song that I enjoyed the original of. Potentially even better than the original for me. They even recruit the singer from Korn (I think, sure sounds like him) for some new lyrics during the middle point. It's just, REALLY fucking good.

I remember picking up this album and was literally half and half on it, as I'm not a big hiphop fan, so every other song I was like "meh, skip". But then got to this one at the end, and was just blown away.
No worries. I have all of their albums; including this one. The album was a base breaker for a time (certain critics felt it was too early for them to have a remix album, but they are and were a load of shit), but around 2009/10, most fans loved it. I know you said you're not in to hip-hip, but I highly recommend Mike Shinoda's Fort Minor & Post Traumatic. I also reccomend you try giving the more hip-hop songs another shot, if you can.

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I see that Bartman is clowning around again!

But in all seriousness it looks alright? Patterson's take on Batman is ok. Yeah we have all sorts of stories chronicling Batman's career like Year 1 and The Dark Knight Returns so I don't mind a younger Bruce Wayne/Batman. However I do agree that Patterson's Bruce looks a bit too much like a edgy emo boy from the 2000s. I don't wanna be reminded on what I did in my high school years. I am getting weird flashbacks from the Netlfix Death Note adaptation.

Also I felt like the part where Batman beats up that one guy continuously was too a bit too dragged out. Otherwise it looks fine. I do want to hope its good. After the attempt to make a DCCU failing spectacularly I just want to see a good Batman movie for once and if Joker is any indication then they are capable of making good movies. We'll have to see.
I think the drawn out beating might up end up being his way of putting on a show to intimidate a gang inspired by the Joker. Looks like it's working.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
After the attempt to make a DCCU failing spectacularly I just want to see a good Batman movie for once and if Joker is any indication then they are capable of making good movies. We'll have to see.
I haven't seen Joker. I've just never ever wanted to see a movie about the Joker. Not without Batman or the Bat family anyway. He needs Batman. Moreover, I just find the idea of making a standalone Joker movie cynical. So, this will be my first live action Batman universe movie since Rises. I hardly count Justice League, which I only went out and watched because the power in my building went out.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay so Im confused. DC is just throwing spaghetti against the wall hoping for the next Iron Man. What's the DCEU continuity? Is this vampire batman supposed to be older Bruce Wayne from the Phoenix's Joker, or is he young Batfleck from Justice League? If they're adding Keaton's Batman to the Flashpoint movie, does that mean Jack Nicholson's Joker is in the mix? Do we have 3 different Jokers going on now? 4 if this Vampire Batman is its own universe?
Also I heard they're having Kevin Conroy cameo as a version of Batman, so does that make Mark Hamill's Joker canon too? What about Christian Bale and Heath Ledger? Are we just assuming they were too good to be associated with DC now?

And what about all the TV shows? Is this Vampire Batman from the Gotham TV show?

Say what you will about Marvel being very formulaic and safe, but there was only 1 Captain America and 1 Iron Man. Warmachine, yeah there were 2, but only for one movie.
Hulk yeah, that's a little messy especially all the cliff hangers from the Hulk movie Marvel forgot about.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I find it funny people started claiming to be Nirvana fans after Cobain died. Where the hell were you guys and gals were before? Sorta similar to certain section of Linkin Park's fans where they claimed that whenever the band changed styles or did something new, they got their panties in a bunch. All of sudden when Chester hung himself (may the man RIP), those particular section sudden gave a rat's ass about songs, not from LP's first two albums. I am glad Mike and the rest of the band are still going strong and have not stopped.

Back on topic, loving the trailer, and glad to see they're are not making Joker the main villains again. It's time for the Riddler to get his respectful due. I like Jim Carrey, but his Riddler was just another version of the Joker and hamming up the Ace Ventura character with orange hair.
Sit yourself down and watch Batman the Movie from the 60’s. Jim Carrey’s Riddler appears to owe a significant surface level debt to Frank Gorshin’s take on the character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sit yourself down and watch Batman the Movie from the 60’s. Jim Carrey’s Riddler appears to owe a significant surface level debt to Frank Gorshin’s take on the character.
I'm well aware of Jim Carrey's inspirations. I do thank you for the info. It still didn't stop Jim Carrey from Ace Venturing it up. Loved it when I was a kid, still gives me some chuckles now, but I can see where people were coming from on those flaws. Yet I can see where people are coming from with those flaws.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What's the DCEU continuity? Is this vampire batman supposed to be older Bruce Wayne from the Phoenix's Joker, or is he young Batfleck from Justice League?
Neither. From what's been stated, The Batman is its own continuity.

If they're adding Keaton's Batman to the Flashpoint movie, does that mean Jack Nicholson's Joker is in the mix? Do we have 3 different Jokers going on now?
I heard about that Flashpoint idea, but I rather they don't do it. We already got the animated movie. What more can the live-action idea add, other than, different continuities excuse?

Say what you will about Marvel being very formulaic and safe, but there was only 1 Captain America and 1 Iron Man. Warmachine, yeah there were 2, but only for one movie.
Hulk yeah, that's a little messy especially all the cliff hangers from the Hulk movie Marvel forgot about.
True, but at least DC bothers to experiment with both their live action and animated films/shows. I'll take trying and failing over the same shit over and over again. Plus, we're still getting a Suicide Squad 2, Aqua Man 2, and Shazam 2. I do question how the contunity for SS2 is going to work considering how Birds of Prey takes place after SS1. Harley is in the sequel, which makes me wonder, things did not work for her and the girl in BoP, SS2 retcons BoP, or SS2 will be its own continuity. Either Harley got caught and put in jail again, or Waller is strong arming or blackmailing Quinn to do her dirty work. We shall see.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, I forgot the song. I really can't stand Nirvana anymore. I remember enjoying them when they were new, but after Cobain died, and every fucking radio station would not stop playing their shit, I realized how little I actually like their songs. So that didn't help my enjoyment of the trailer at all.
I don't like Nirvana either. They were a part of pop culture when I was growing up so naturally my childhood self thought they were the coolest thing, but looking back they are such a product of the time that it's actually kind of embarassing.

I'm more fascinated by the logic of using this particular song.

I mean, I guess we've moved on from the Suicide Squad school of "play a licensed song which very bluntly describes what the character is doing or feeling" so credit for that I guess, but at the same time.. what does Something In the Way tell us about batman or the story of this trailer? Is Batman sleeping rough in this movie? Did he get kicked out of his mansion and lose his billions of dollars somehow? It's just an odd choice.

I mean, the Sonic movie trailer used Gangsta's Paradise. I know what's actually going on here. It's just a rhetorical question meant to point out that something is weird.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't like Nirvana either. They were a part of pop culture when I was growing up so naturally my childhood self thought they were the coolest thing, but looking back they are such a product of the time that it's actually kind of embarassing.

I'm more fascinated by the logic of using this particular song.

I mean, I guess we've moved on from the Suicide Squad school of "play a licensed song which very bluntly describes what the character is doing or feeling" so credit for that I guess, but at the same time.. what does Something In the Way tell us about batman or the story of this trailer? Is Batman sleeping rough in this movie? Did he get kicked out of his mansion and lose his billions of dollars somehow? It's just an odd choice.

I mean, the Sonic movie trailer used Gangsta's Paradise. I know what's actually going on here. It's just a rhetorical question meant to point out that something is weird.
Well I DID like Nirvana for a while, I won't deny it. They came out when I was in middle school, so it was a fresh bit of sound for me. But, I have noticed, at least for me personally, that I can't listen to music from certain periods of time in my life, as they were too deeply tied to my mental state at that time. It just doesn't do anything for me anymore. A handful of songs/bands are immune to this, like RUSH, who I never tire of hearing, or Stone Temple Pilots, but Nirvana, and the earlier albums of TOOL....I just can't really listen to them anymore. Luckily for me, bands like TOOL are always growing and evolving as they age, and their sensibilities change too, so I've been able to enjoy them as time moves on. But Nirvana? Just...meh.

Also I looked up the lyrics to Something in the Way, to see if it might shed some light on it. And....well kind of maybe?

Underneath the bridge
The tarp has sprung a leak
And the animals I've trapped
Have all become my pets
And I'm living off of grass
And the drippings from the ceiling
But it's okay to eat fish
'Cause they don't have any feelings
Something in the way
Ummmmm
Something in the way, yeah
Ummmmm
Something in the way
Ummmmm
Ummmmm
Something in the way
Ummmmm
Ummmmm
Underneath the bridge
The tarp has sprung a leak
And the animals I've trapped
Have all become my pets
And I'm living off of grass
And the drippings from the ceiling
But it's okay to eat fish
'Cause they…

And yes, you incredibly observant lobster, they DID just repeat the first verse for the second verse. So...yeah, amazing lyrical writing there.

But I digress. The lyrics, kind of seem to me, maybe as the theme song for the Riddler. Only from the "And the animals I've trapped, have all become my pets" line. That sounds more like the lines of the unseen, observing from above, disembodied voice of the Riddler, rather than Batman. At least based on the scenes they overlayed with the lyrics. *shrugs* Of course it could just be "pick some song that sounds creepy, with some disturbing, distonal vocals.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Okay so Im confused. DC is just throwing spaghetti against the wall hoping for the next Iron Man. What's the DCEU continuity? Is this vampire batman supposed to be older Bruce Wayne from the Phoenix's Joker, or is he young Batfleck from Justice League? If they're adding Keaton's Batman to the Flashpoint movie, does that mean Jack Nicholson's Joker is in the mix? Do we have 3 different Jokers going on now? 4 if this Vampire Batman is its own universe?
Also I heard they're having Kevin Conroy cameo as a version of Batman, so does that make Mark Hamill's Joker canon too? What about Christian Bale and Heath Ledger? Are we just assuming they were too good to be associated with DC now?

And what about all the TV shows? Is this Vampire Batman from the Gotham TV show?

Why do any of these movies need to be in a continuity?

My take is, if DC specifically says that certain movies are in the same universe then they are, and if they don't explicitly say anything then they aren't. The whole Flashpoint idea is stupid as a movie.

So far Marvel are the only ones who have been able to pull off having a single movie universe, and I'm fine if it stays that way. There's room for having stand alone comic book movies that don't have to tie into anything else.

Batman always worked better as a stand alone character than as part of the Justice League anyway, because they need to have really contrived reasons as to why Batman is necessary with Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Dr. Fate, Martian Manhunter, etc. around.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Because obsessive fanboys will lose their shit and threaten the lives of the actors and writers if they aren't assured of all these characters being in the same film at some point. Because that's the only thing that gives them physical gratification anymore.

Also because the studio executives keep asking each other daily " Do we have a giant pool of money to swim in yet from all these comic films? No, then keep making them until we do damnit!"

Both reasons are why we are where we are.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Who else thinks the trailer would be better if they had used a remix of a Billy Eiish song?

He's the bat-guy...duh.

Ok, I'll leave.

Reactions: Chimpzy and Kae

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Looks alright. Could be a good movie.

Good to see Jeffrey Wright in a spotlight again.
I like the dirty, "gothic" look to it. A comeback to classic Batman visuals, after a kinda sterile Gotham in Nolan movies.
The Gunblem is still tad of an overkill, and the "I'm Vengeance" line is kinda cheesy(but could it really not be?), but those are just nitpicks.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

My take is, if DC specifically says that certain movies are in the same universe then they are, and if they don't explicitly say anything then they aren't. The whole Flashpoint idea is stupid as a movie.

So far Marvel are the only ones who have been able to pull off having a single movie universe, and I'm fine if it stays that way. There's room for having stand alone comic book movies that don't have to tie into anything else.

Batman always worked better as a stand alone character than as part of the Justice League anyway, because they need to have really contrived reasons as to why Batman is necessary with Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Dr. Fate, Martian Manhunter, etc. around.
But they are doing a Flashpoint movie, stupid or not. It can't be ignored just 'cause it makes it easier, its happening.

and the reason I want to know the continuity is because DC clearly wants one. They're making movies with the same characters, all having done cross overs. Suicide Squad 2 will reference Justice League, and Batman. As will AquaMan 2, and the Flashpoint. Wonder Woman 2 is set in the 80s, so be prepared for Diana to meet a young version of one or more hero.
and the problem with multiple versions of characters running at a time is we never know which one is which. But DC is floundering and just trying everything until something actually is good, then they'll declare that the primary DC world and everything else an alternate reality. And I'd just like to know which movies am I supposed to not care about after they come out.