The best and worst horror games (in your opinion)

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
What's with people. I seem to be the only person in the world who didn't find Silent Hill 2 scary (except for the prison level, that was pretty evil, especially the long hallway with that scary-ass monster crawling above you and the room grass grew in).
Best: Probably Silent Hill 3
Worst: I don't know, sorry.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
JammasterJG said:
Alright Firstly, i searched this pretty well and nothing of this EXACT style came up so im gonna run with it being original

Secondly, the main bit: Horror seems to be a very important genre of gaming doesn't it? yet it seems there are games that try very hard to do this and yet still mess it up, while other games get it perfect first time.

So state the best and worst Horror games you've ever played and why the are the best and worst (its that simple!)

for me, the best would be Silent hill 2, because it preceded to scare the crap out of me while i was unable to stop playing it because it was that compelling and interesting. Also, since my name is James, every time someone referred to James by his first name alone added an extra depth of immersion to the whole thing.

The worst horror game i've played would be F.E.A.R. 2, because (not that it's a bad game) it fails to scare, it certainly TRIES to scare you, but it falls flat and it doesn't help that half the visions you see are off-screen. Personally, i reckon F.E.A.R 2 would've been a pretty good game if they had dropped the horror aspect and just made it an FPS.

Another thing, F.E.A.R 2's failure of horror hits hard for me as it was developed by Monilith studio's, a.k.a the guy's who made Condemned... which really DID scare me...
F.E.A.R 2 still would have been crappy if it was just an FPS because of the linear and unimaginitive level design.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I've never played Silent Hill 2, but the first one is still my favourite horror game. Really scared the piss out of me as a kid. I haven't finished a bad horror video game yet, but the worst one I played is Resident Evil: Survivor. I pumped a few quarters into that one and just hated it. Resident Evil is only good on the consoles, it seems.

fenixrising

Mar 11, 2009
not a scary game as such, but eternal darkness really understood horror on many levels
condemned has been the only game that made me shout out loud in shock
silent hill just screwed with my head
resi 2, like playing a really fucking good zombie film

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
While the best was Silent Hill 2, the scariest I've played was Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

The least scary was probably the new Alone in the Dark. I enjoyed it, but it failed to scare me.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Best:Hate to say my first example, but Silent Hill 2 takes 1rst place.

It's followed by Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. A great example of horror.

Worst: That Friday the 13th game on the NES...

saibot216

Dec 11, 2008
I prefer Resident Evil over Silent Hill... that should save me from typing paragraphs explaining myself.