The best animal companions for depression

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I've just been diagnosed with depression and alcoholism. I don't trust myself to look after myself at the moment.

No way I would I inflict me on an animal at this point.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Lil devils x said:
AccursedTheory said:
Lil devils x said:
LauriAJ said:
Ferrets for the win!
Ferrets always wind up biting someone eventually though, especially when they get older and grouchy. You cant have them around others or you risk being sued and having them killed.
They don't 'eventually' end up biting others, they always are biting others. I love ferrets, but the little bastards are evil.

I lived with a guy who had two ferrets, and neither of us could go two days without getting ankle bit. And the damn things made a tunnel system in the couch, presumably for the sole purpose of trying to carve a piece out of my ass checks.
Yes, even the best trained ferrets for use around children wound up biting someone and they had to pull them from the childrens event. LOL

I have never seen a ferret that didn't bite eventually. Which if it bites the wrong person, you get sued and the state takes your ferret and kills it. :(

I have seen cats make tunnel systems in the couch too. I had this one cat that would hide in there and when friends sat on the couch he would attack their butt from inside the couch. LMAO
UK bound here and my brother has had ferrets for years, he uses them for rabbiting so they are working animals.

None of them have ever bitten me. Go counter to most animals and show them the back of your hand, to sniff. If they are aggressive there is nothing there for them to get their teeth into.

Different ones have bit each of my family over time, I however have handled them all and never had a nip. I've had some of them hold a finger in their mouth and felt pressure of their teeth, but they've never bitten in. I suppose the look in my eyes said "go on then, take that chance."

Some people are ferret people. And I don't mean that as in liking them, some people just seem to irritate ferrets while others can fuss them like a soft toy.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I disagree with most of the folks about the maintenance levels required for dogs, both big and small. It's not the size, but the breed that has more of an effect on how high or low maintenance a dog is. I'd recommend actually looking up dog breeds on the American Kennel Club website http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/. There may be a dog that fits both your living style and activity level. Also, small dogs have really long lifespans.

As far as cats go, well, screw those things. They aren't dogs and are typically wired to respond the exact opposite way a dog does to most stimuli. They play to kill, and petting them will eventually get them worked up enough to lash out. But if you want something that feels more like an obnoxious roommate and less like a pet or companion, then cats are the way to go. Some added benefits are that they kill rodents and, with proper training, can be taken outside and walked if you want.

Other than that, I have a hard time recommending most of the other animals people have mentioned: short life spans can make some of those pets into ticking trauma bombs. Also, people are not exaggerating when they talk about just how messy ferrets are. Good god are things messy.

If you have a fenced in yard, you could always get a few chickens and dwarf goats. Low maintenance and they make great emergency food supplies. :p

Vahir

Sep 11, 2013
altnameJag said:
A Maine Coon or Maine Coon mix:

Maine Coons are super friendly, inquisitive, don't lose their kitten-like playfulness, super fluffy, and, if you're normally a dog person, can potentially grow to be the size of your average medium dog.

It has great big paws so even if you end up with a monster cat, it won't hurt to much when they walk on you (and they can walk in top of snow just fine regardless of size), their coats come in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and speckles, and despite there being a lot of it, it's easy to maintain. They have a surprisingly wide vocal range and aren't afraid to talk.

They are usually very intelligent, mine notwithstanding, and tend to be trainable. They do take a bit more cuddle and playtime than your average cat though, so a big dog like that way.
...I want one of those!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Barbas said:
That in mind, I thought a small animal like a rabbit, gerbil or chinchilla might be more appropriate. What do you recommend, Escapists?
I'd stay away from the "small animals", and one of those things is not like the others. Hamsters and gerbils tend to be short lived, which will do nothing for anyone's depression. Chinchillas are delicate and fussy animals that require a lot of special care. Rabbits, properly cared for (IE, on a vegetable/hay based diet and not kept in a cage like a hamster) will live 10-14 years and are almost as serious an undertaking as a dog. In addition to dietary needs, bored rabbits can be as destructive as bored puppies, so they require a lot of care and attention. They've been seriously miscast as "starter pets" or kid friendly pets when they're anything but.

Cats are genuinely low-effort pets, assuming you get a cat who isn't completely neurotic and encourage good behaviors. But you apparently don't like cats, so there's no point putting some poor cat through your apathy.

A well adjusted dog would be a good companion for an unhappy person. They're active and will force you to be more active, and you like dogs, and they tend to be chipper and really, really into you. I wouldn't get a puppy...try find a well behaved/well mannered/trained dog at a shelter. Younger is better, as animals tend to have the bulk of their health problems later in life, and you're just signing up for a lot of financial burden and stress.

Barbas said:
I like dogs for how intelligent and loving they are...
Dogs aren't really any smarter than other companion animals. They have about half the neurons in their brain as cats, for example. What dogs are is significantly more socially adapted to humans, as a species, due to a long long history of domestication.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
flying_whimsy said:
I disagree with most of the folks about the maintenance levels required for dogs, both big and small. It's not the size, but the breed that has more of an effect on how high or low maintenance a dog is. I'd recommend actually looking up dog breeds on the American Kennel Club website http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/. There may be a dog that fits both your living style and activity level. Also, small dogs have really long lifespans.

As far as cats go, well, screw those things. They aren't dogs and are typically wired to respond the exact opposite way a dog does to most stimuli. They play to kill, and petting them will eventually get them worked up enough to lash out. But if you want something that feels more like an obnoxious roommate and less like a pet or companion, then cats are the way to go. Some added benefits are that they kill rodents and, with proper training, can be taken outside and walked if you want.

Other than that, I have a hard time recommending most of the other animals people have mentioned: short life spans can make some of those pets into ticking trauma bombs. Also, people are not exaggerating when they talk about just how messy ferrets are. Good god are things messy.

If you have a fenced in yard, you could always get a few chickens and dwarf goats. Low maintenance and they make great emergency food supplies. :p
GOATS ARE NOT LOW MAINTENANCE.. they are demons. LOL

Dogs of all breeds are pretty needy and high maintenance. You have to clean their poop. They are pack animals and need companionship most of the time and do not like to be alone. You have to bathe them. Food and vet costs are higher for dogs than for cats. They need to go outside. Of course there are some more needy than others, but they are all pretty dam needy. LOL

Cats do not just play to kill btw, they will just play to play. They like to wrestle each other, play with toys together knock things out of the air, fetch, jump and catch things, jump around and through things much like dogs. They use a toilet and flush it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Barbas said:
That in mind, I thought a small animal like a rabbit, gerbil or chinchilla might be more appropriate. What do you recommend, Escapists?
I'd stay away from the "small animals", and one of those things is not like the others. Hamsters and gerbils tend to be short lived, which will do nothing for anyone's depression. Chinchillas are delicate and fussy animals that require a lot of special care. Rabbits, properly cared for (IE, on a vegetable/hay based diet and not kept in a cage like a hamster) will live 10-14 years and are almost as serious an undertaking as a dog. In addition to dietary needs, bored rabbits can be as destructive as bored puppies, so they require a lot of care and attention. They've been seriously miscast as "starter pets" or kid friendly pets when they're anything but.

Cats are genuinely low-effort pets, assuming you get a cat who isn't completely neurotic and encourage good behaviors. But you apparently don't like cats, so there's no point putting some poor cat through your apathy.

A well adjusted dog would be a good companion for an unhappy person. They're active and will force you to be more active, and you like dogs, and they tend to be chipper and really, really into you. I wouldn't get a puppy...try find a well behaved/well mannered/trained dog at a shelter. Younger is better, as animals tend to have the bulk of their health problems later in life, and you're just signing up for a lot of financial burden and stress.

Barbas said:
Dogs aren't really any smarter than other companion animals. They have about half the neurons in their brain as cats, for example. What dogs are is significantly more socially adapted to humans, as a species, due to a long long history of domestication.
After having cared for and raised many of both, I agree, cats are much smarter than dogs. Cats think ahead on their own and use tools, they design and set booby traps.. My one cat will take rope and tie up chairs, then go get his brother and manipulate him into pulling the rope and pulling the chairs on his head. He will do the same to the vacuum cleaner, boxes, end tables.. He will open the door then lock his brother in rooms and closets.. He is always trying to play tricks on his brother. He is terrible, but hilarious.Loyal cats will give their life to save yours, since cats see themselves as your "owner", your protector they feel they have to take care of you. That can become annoying when they kill mice or birds and bring them to you as a gift to feed you. LOL

I also agree about the small pets and destructive rabbits. You really should put a chew proof wall board around the room they are in and take everything out of it except their stuff that is safe for them.. including the flooring. Rabbits damage everything.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Barbas said:
There's no definitive analyses that says that either cats or dogs or more intelligent, but there are some interesting studies that are in the dog's favor. They have (Perhaps with a few breed exceptions) larger brains per pound of animal than cats (A metric that lines up pretty well with other mammals when comparing intelligence. Elephants, whales, apes, and dolphins all have fairly high brain to weight metrics and have all shown fairly incredible intellects), and they've found some interesting (But admittedly not conclusive) evidence that animals that socialize in their own species are more intelligent then similarly built and sized solitary animals. They've also found that the simple act of domestication can improve a species intelligence, and that the more social/domesticated animal is, the smarter it will grow (Highly social animals being more likely to breed and all). And its postulated that even species that are not domesticated, but have social interactions with other species, are also smarter then similar species that do not socialize outside their genome.

Regardless, I'd make the argument that even if a cat is technically smarter then a dog (Which I'm not convinced of), that intelligence is completely squandered by the average cats temperament, which is terrible. I'd compare it to a human being who may have an IQ of 130, but lives his entire life sequestered away from the rest of the world, his only outings into socialization wasted on sneering at everyone else. He may be smart, but you, as an outsider, will never get to experience it.

Dreph said:
AccursedTheory said:
Hedgehogs

Pros
-Absolutely adorable
-Seriously, look at'em
-Look one more time
-Clean
-Small, cheap cages
-If well socialized, like being held/petted
-Ok, look one more time

You... You monster! Now I have to break it to my spouse that we are getting a Hedgehog.

On a more serious note, how do they do around cats?
It probably depends more on the cat. If you have an outdoor cat that kills 60 animals a week, then you may have some problems. Mostly indoor cats usually don't have as much of a problem living with smaller animals, though I still think it's probably a bad idea to let them co-mingle for too long un-observed. A hedgehog also has a fairly effective defense mechanism (Those spines), which will deter a less dedicated cat, but probably wouldn't stop one that was really into murder.

I'd probably be more worried about an aggressive cat over stressing a hedgehog. They can be fairly timid. Maybe I can give you a better analysis later - I think this thread has finally made me decide to get two hedgehogs. I live in PA, which has weird (But rarely enforced) rules regarding pet hedgehogs, but I live close enough to Maryland to get to a vet who wont give me trouble if I have to. And I live in the damn woods - I figure if the people in my 'town' can get away with alcohol stiles and growing weed right out in the open, I can get away with a hand sized rodent.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
They have (Perhaps with a few breed exceptions) larger brains per pound of animal than cats (A metric that lines up pretty well with other mammals when comparing intelligence. Elephants, whales, apes, and dolphins all have fairly high brain to weight metrics and have all shown fairly incredible intellects)
It's not the size of the brain, it's the neurons. Humans and other animals considered highly intelligent all have an extremely high neuron count. Sponges, for example, have 0.

AccursedTheory said:
Regardless, I'd make the argument that even if a cat is technically smarter then a dog (Which I'm not convinced of), that intelligence is completely squandered by the average cats temperament, which is terrible.
Eh. It's going to depend on how you measure and quantify "intelligence". If your sole concern is social behaviors or demonstrating "human compatible qualities" then an amiable goat is going to rank as "more intelligent" then a sulky and uncommunicative/uncooperative human. In terms of neural pathways and "raw intelligence", cats are about twice as smart as dogs. However, they won't fetch your slippers or play dead or perform other human-centric behaviors, so they're generally viewed as "less intelligent"...or as you've put it, they've "squandered" their intelligence by doing things well suited to cats, instead of things well suited to humans.

If we want to praise dogs, we can praise their uniquely symbiotic relationship with humans and how well they've taken to domestication...neither of which are attributes that relate directly to "intelligence".

And all of this is without even opening the Pandora's Box of how "intelligent" is measured by humans on a purely "human-like" scale, which is like saying "Humans are the most intelligent animal, according to humans". It might seem like a self-evident observation, but we have a propensity to be horrendously anthropocentric in our thinking sometimes, which isn't very scientific.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Depends on what you're looking for in a pet really and what kind of pet you can take care of.
Both cats and dogs tend to be easy because they're popular and you find info on them and people to take care of them if you can't. In any case, do you have help in taking care of the pet?

I love my ferret and she is very low effort and affectionate pet but my flat is also furnished with her in mind, and while she never bites me she will try her teeth on new people. I don't think she smells... Also while ferrets can be difficult to teach to use the box,can't say I have had big problems with her shitting everywhere. Unless you count the fact she chose her toilet and I just had to adapt to it and put the box where she wanted to. I'd say she is easier than a cat but depends on your circumstances really.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Lieju said:
I love my ferret and she is very low effort and affectionate pet...
I love ferrets, but surprised to hear you say this. I consider ferrets analogous to extremely high energy dogs. When they're "on", they require near constant attention and supervision. They may sleep more than dogs and operate indoors better than dogs, but holy shit those energy levels are through the roof.

I'd also start socking money away now, because when they get older ferrets tend to have cascading health issues, which can be extremely expensive to deal with as many vets consider them "exotics" and it's hard to get pet insurance for them. Not in a "doom and gloom" sense, just so you don't get blindsided by $5000 in vet bills one day.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Lieju said:
Also while ferrets can be difficult to teach to use the box,can't say I have had big problems with her shitting everywhere. Unless you count the fact she chose her toilet and I just had to adapt to it and put the box where she wanted to. I'd say she is easier than a cat but depends on your circumstances really.
That surprises me. The ferrets I lived with decided that the proper place to shit was that 90 degree angle where the wall meets the floor. And not one wall or anything - ALL walls. And I swear to God that they refused to shit anywhere in their cage. Little bastards would hold it in for when they were let out.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Cats, definitely. I have 3 and I can honestly tell you that all 3 put together are less work to take care of than 1 dog. Basically the only things you really have to clean their litterboxes daily, brush them if a longhair, feed them, train them to use a scratching post which in my experience most cats will take to a good one right away with barely any prompting and hardly ever claw anything else, and play with it for a few minutes daily, and even that is basically negated if you get two of them.

The idea that they are aloof loners that don't give a crap about their owners is a complete myth perpetuated by cat owners who have no clue what they hell they are doing and don't care to. Cats are just as affectionate if not more so than dogs and don't let anyone tell you different. I have at least one of them near me purring away basically 24/7 including right now. One in particular meows constantly if I'm not paying attention it, meets me at the door whenever I get back from wherever I was, follows me around most of the time, and wants me to pet him or play with him constantly (get your cat fixed early BTW, especially if it's a male if you don't want marking behavior). Just do your research and become informed like with any animal you might get and do what the research says and you'll be fine. Also, don't let cats outside especially unsupervised, it's unnecessary and puts them at risk for no benefit whatsoever.

If a cat can't help your depression nothing will.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Considering it's seasonal depression, you're looking for an all-year active animal that lasts more than a couple of years so they won't bite it during the winter. Also, before bringing an animal in, may want to see to your mental health first. Make sure you're all covered and not something worse. Just generally good advice.

That said,

You are now diabetic

But seriously, if you want a dog breed, pick one that fits your environment, interests, and temperament. Terriers love to run and dig and are super social. Labs love water. Then there's the classic American dog breed of "confused shrug when attempting to figure it out". Just go to a shelter pick the dog that reacts best to you.

Or if you have a rescue cat, get the big ones that will approach you. This is a good sign for "teddy bear" status, and I've found they do the best training kittens if you get another. Oh, big consideration is that if you're not around all the time, get two. All companion animals are by definition social and will get lonely.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Cats, definitely. I have 3 and I can honestly tell you that all 3 put together are less work to take care of than 1 dog. Basically the only things you really have to clean their litterboxes daily, brush them if a longhair, feed them, train them to use a scratching post which in my experience most cats will take to a good one right away with barely any prompting and hardly ever claw anything else, and play with it for a few minutes daily, and even that is basically negated if you get two of them.

The idea that they are aloof loners that don't give a crap about their owners is a complete myth perpetuated by cat owners who have no clue what they hell they are doing and don't care to. Cats are just as affectionate if not more so than dogs and don't let anyone tell you different. I have at least one of them near me purring away basically 24/7 including right now. One in particular meows constantly if I'm not paying attention it, meets me at the door whenever I get back from wherever I was, follows me around most of the time, and wants me to pet him or play with him constantly (get your cat fixed early BTW, especially if it's a male if you don't want marking behavior). Just do your research and become informed like with any animal you might get and do what the research says and you'll be fine. Also, don't let cats outside especially unsupervised, it's unnecessary and puts them at risk for no benefit whatsoever.
It is actually really easy to toilet train your cat so you do not have to deal with a litter box at all.

Put the cat box near the toilet, Change to flushable litter, start raising it up like 1 book at a time then put it on the toilet cut a hole in the middle making the hole bigger each time until there is no litter at all. There are multiple ways to get them to flush, either put a scratcher on the handle or get a switch they push the button on. I prefer male cats, and you are right, get them fixed as soon as your vet will do it. Some do it younger than others, but the younger the better so they will never start to spray.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
The idea that they are aloof loners that don't give a crap about their owners is a complete myth perpetuated by cat owners who have no clue what they hell they are doing and don't care to. Cats are just as affectionate if not more so than dogs and don't let anyone tell you different.
As with all things, it's down to the individual cat. Some cats are aloof loners, others are clingy, cuddly schmoozers. Some are neurotic headcases. Some are the life of the party.

On a general 1:1 level, cats are a bit more "aloof" than dogs, because they tend to sleep more and spend more time engaged in solitary activity. That, however, is only on a general level. On an individual level, anything goes.

Lil devils x said:
Put the cat box near the toilet, Change to flushable litter, start raising it up like 1 book at a time then put it on the toilet cut a hole in the middle making the hole bigger each time until there is no litter at all. There are multiple ways to get them to flush, either put a scratcher on the handle or get a switch they push the button on.
My sister tried that, many years ago. Worked like gangbusters until the cat fell in the toilet. That was the end of that.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
immortalfrieza said:
The idea that they are aloof loners that don't give a crap about their owners is a complete myth perpetuated by cat owners who have no clue what they hell they are doing and don't care to. Cats are just as affectionate if not more so than dogs and don't let anyone tell you different.
As with all things, it's down to the individual cat. Some cats are aloof loners, others are clingy, cuddly schmoozers. Some are neurotic headcases. Some are the life of the party.

On a general 1:1 level, cats are a bit more "aloof" than dogs, because they tend to sleep more and spend more time engaged in solitary activity. That, however, is only on a general level. On an individual level, anything goes.
I'd note that 1. cats have breeds. Siamese Classic and American Shorthairs are very social, the later having a really strong colony instinct so they do better around other animals while monastery breeds are the aloof rat hunters (and quiet) and 2. cats and dogs have different social structures that are often compatible (herding dogs get along super well with social cats) but reflect their pre-domestication nature. Cats hunted alone and grouped for safety when necessary while dogs operate in a pack with defined hierarchy.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Lil devils x said:
immortalfrieza said:

It is actually really easy to toilet train your cat so you do not have to deal with a litter box at all.

Put the cat box near the toilet, Change to flushable litter, start raising it up like 1 book at a time then put it on the toilet cut a hole in the middle making the hole bigger each time until there is no litter at all. There are multiple ways to get them to flush, either put a scratcher on the handle or get a switch they push the button on. I prefer male cats, and you are right, get them fixed as soon as your vet will do it. Some do it younger than others, but the younger the better so they will never start to spray.
You know, suddenly, all those videos I've seen of cat's balancing between the toilet and the tub and shitting on the floor beneath make sense.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
MCerberus said:
I'd note that 1. cats have breeds.
Oh definitively. If anyone wanted a friendly cat, they could just pay through the nose for a Ragdoll. I'm generally against selective breeding in domestic animals, though, because of all the corresponding health issues it introduces, so I like to encourage "mutts". And with mutts, you never know what you're gonna get, outside of the nurture factors you have control over.