The Best Comic You've Ever Read.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Simple enough - what was it and why? Single issue or series.

For me:
Garth Ennis: The Boys. Preacher was great, as was Punisher MAX but this one was just mindblowing. Pitch black while at the same time having some genuinely uplifting stuff.

Am currently re-reading it while procrastinating playing Dragon Age 3.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are we going comic as in 'American/Western', or just any old piece of paper with pictures and text bubbles regardless of nationality?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Are we going comic as in 'American/Western', or just any old piece of paper with pictures and text bubbles regardless of nationality?
Let's keep it Western I think. Manga is a whole other bag of kitten girls.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'm gonna say that the best I've read recently, and bearing in mind that comics aren't my particular area of geekdom, would be... Scalped. The story arcs are gripping and gritty, and full of hard lives and hard decisions. Could make an amazing series for TV, but might lose something of the charm of the amazing illustrations in translation.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Ah, Scalped! Thanks, I've been meaning to pick that one up for ages now. Yay, something new to read!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Red Rain, Bloodstorm and Crimson Mist are probably some of the best comics I've read. Batman getting bit by Dracula and slowly turning into a monster and losing his mind was so awesomely done. The artstyle of Kelly Jones was also so perfectly suited for the Victorian setting that seemed to fit Batman like a glove. Normally Batman is kinda serious and brooding but in these books he start to detoriate mentally with bouts of hysteria, crossing every imaginable line as his bloodthirst becomes uncontrollable. This story would make such an awesome movie, cartoon or videogame.

I also have yet to read a better comic than Alan Mcelroy's and Paul Jenkins' contributions to Curse of the Spawn and Spawn the Undead. Those stories were so original and imaginative. Espescially Spawn the Undead exploring the darker and seedier aspects of suicide, paralysis, guilt, death, abuse, loss, grief, desire, execution and demon summoning within the Spawn mythos. Some stories were painfully honest and sincere, which isn't something you'd expect from a book like this.

Curse was just sheer awesomeness. The Tony Twist story-arc itself would make such an awesome movie. It's one of the coolest arcs in comics like ever.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
I liked the first two 'Batman/Dracula' stories but the third one didn't click with me.

Spawn...actually never hated that as much as other people seemed to. Had some silly bits, but some really, really strong arcs and gorgeous art.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The one, the only, the indispensable Calvin and Hobbes. Thank you, Mr Watterson!

Good times, great friends.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Barbas said:
The one, the only, the indispensable Calvin and Hobbes. Thank you, Mr Watterson!

Good times, great friends.
I came in here conflicted about what I would answer, because I've largely been reading superhero comics lately and I didn't really read comics when I was younger. But your post just reminded me of "the funnies" and now the only answer I can give is also Calvin and Hobbes.

Scientific progress goes "Boink", indeed.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
stroopwafel said:
I also have yet to read a better comic than Alan Mcelroy's and Paul Jenkins' contributions to Curse of the Spawn
It's been a while. Which stories did they make?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I have to say it's Cerebus. Dave Sim's view of women aside, that comic uses the possibilities of the medium in amazing new ways.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Sandman is among the best and most imaginative storytelling I've seen in any medium. Washed-up gods, everyday people in everyday situations that reveal the extraordinary only when viewed a certain way, the minds of innocent and guilty alike turned inside out, the lines between dream and reality crossed, recrossed, and smeared into uncertainty. "His madness keeps him sane," indeed.

Cerebus. Occasionally takes long tangents away from topics I consider interesting, but any title that manages to include serious and humorous takes on sword-and-sorcery, politics, religion, relationships, and several other big topics is unique and well worth your time.

Preacher is pretty damn good if you want empty fun. Irish vampires, immortal gunslingers, and good old-fashioned Texas-style ass-kickin'.

Calvin and Hobbes is funnier and more thought-provoking than most full-length books.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I'm going to have to have to go with the obvious answer, and say watchmen. It's the only "literary" comic book I've ever read. Yes, that includes sandman. Every page is DRENCHED in symbolism. It draws from history, religion, classic literature, science, philosophy, and then manages to weave it into a classic comic book critique. I could write a full book about watchmen, it's genius. I'll give a shout out to maus, understanding comics, and Persepolis as well.

Starbird said:
Casual Shinji said:
Let's keep it Western I think. Manga is a whole other bag of kitten girls.

I'm going to make a mandatory berserk reference anyway. It's the only comic that may be better than watchmen, and it has a lot of western influences. Best comic I've ever read fr anywhere.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's a webcomic, but Sunstone. It's basically 50 shades of gray except the characters are more real, more likable, it explores BDSM better...ok so it's practically nothing like 50 shades of gray. It basically does it's own thing and it does them very well. Plus lesbians, that's always nice (Hetero male alert)

WARNING! VERY MUCH NSFW!

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Transmetropolitan was one of my first real "holy crap comic are awesome" moments and I still hold it up as some of Warren Ellis' best writing. I've lost count of the number of people I've recommended it and I just love picking up an issue and scanning the artwork because I always find something new. Spider Jerusalem is easily one of my favourite protagonists and I have definitely modelled some of my behaviour after him (for better and worse). If you're a fan of Hunter S. Thompson and are interested in a sci-fi future that you'd love to visit but hate to live, definitely give it a try.

As for newer comics... I'd have to say Saga. There's just something about the two leads that I find so utterly compelling that I ploughed through volume 1 and immediately went out and bought as many single issues as I could because I just wanted to keep reading.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It would either be Watchmen or Blacksad.

I bought and read Watchmen before the film came out and I became enthralled by it (a realistic version of "superheroes" in the real world and its major influences in the state).

Blacksad on the other hand was recommended by a friend of my (comicbook fan) and it's pretty much a good detective comicbook with alot of effort put into it in both visual and narrative. It is not a standard good guy detective either.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Sandman. I know it's blasphemy to say so, but I think it's even better than Watchmen. And don't get me wrong, I love Watchmen, but Sandman is just jaw-droppingly good.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Well, several people have already brought up Watchmen, so I'll mention that Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits is kind of awesome.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
I'll try and mention ones not said above here.

I'm currently re-reading Brian Wood's "DMZ" and I had forgotten just how fantastic that series was. A lot of it was lost on me when I first read it, but a few years older, it's just blowing me away. That's my current favourite. It's not a high fantasy, sci-fi or anything like that. It's set in the modern world, with a few changes of course (i.e. the USA is in another civil war and the island of Manhattan has become a demilitarized zone, stranding the inhabitants and leaving them to fend for themselves)

Another favourite is Brian K Vaughan's Y: The Last Man. One of the series that got me into Vertigo comics. Truly incredible and can reduce even the most stone-hearted to tears. A lot.